The world’s riskiest place to visit, if you’re British

webfact

1 minute ago, Nyezhov said:

Dude in my 63 years of life I have never heard or seen a Yank eat mayo and jam. Unless they are on drugs.

Well, I have. Then again, it might be mayo & "jelly". A few Americans I used to work with used to eat that, not that it's a big deal.

Seen Mayo (or peanut butter) & jelly on US films also.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Its also one of the most visited countries for Australians, if 200,000 Australians went to Iceland for holidays, Iceland would be the most problematic country.

I'm not sure you understand statistical analysis, and I suspect I'm not clever enough to explain it to you.

• Like 1

To quote  - The article reports that other countries to make the top 10 included the Chile, Spain, Germany and France. Of course it is worth noting that these are all firm favourites with visitors from around the world – therefore the sheer volume of visitors is likely to increase the chances of claims being made.

Hey! You don't say!

Well for some reason Brits with alcohol consumption are not a good combination, I'm willing to bet 99.9% of all incidents in Thailand are alcohol related with the British. Why isn't cannabis legal in Thailand? Yaba, and alcohol are readily available, cannabis to. If cannabis were legalized it could bring in more income for the people selling plus street food could expand (munchies). I'm sure they'd be some sort of consumption tax to fill the local coffers. Police responses to violent incidents would be greatly reduced freeing them up to combat real crime and religious extremism in the south!

As we once again see in the news. The brits can be proud to be separated from other people, and once again stand alone with something unfathomable.

How in the world can it percentually be more risky for brits then other nationalities, if they are not the cause of the problem? Please, anybody. Enligthen me.

25 minutes ago, sitti said:

Very misleading news report in my opinion. For proper comparison, they should have taken into account how many Brits come Thailand.

Here you go...

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/363684/141013_British_Behaviour_Abroad_report_2014.pdf

Start by dividing the deaths by the number of Brits living and visiting and you'll see Thailand is crazy dangerous for Brits, when compared to tamer places like France, Spain, the USA and others where there are enough data points to actually draw correlations.

2 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Just kidding about trying to get insurance for it. I did stay up there after a gig at the Brixton Academy though. Main point is that Thailand is absurdly safe compared to many parts of Britain - the main risk here is getting carried away drinking and winding up in dangerous situations. Particularly true if it's the type of person who's prone to being reckless and aggressive when drunk. 

I know what you mean, but then again, Britain has some of the safest roads in the World, and Thailand (almost) the most dangerous.

55 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

Well, I have. Then again, it might be mayo & "jelly". A few Americans I used to work with used to eat that, not that it's a big deal.

Seen Mayo (or peanut butter) & jelly on US films also.

if he was eating mayo & jam he must have been from the middle east

the only thing americans est mayo with is a sandwich with meat on it, like a hamburger, club sandwich or blt.

even on those you can tell em to hold the mayo

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

Can anyone tell me in which country does more tourists die or get injured more than Thailand?

This is only relevant to American tourists, but LOS gets a mention!

On the other hand, Pakistan sees the highest number of Americans killed per capita at 3.54 per 100,000 visitors. That’s a 421% higher chance of being killed in Pakistan than Mexico. And both Thailand and the Philippines are right behind Pakistan with 3.2 deaths per 100,000 visitors and 2.28 respectively, despite the fact that the Philippines have only been issued 20 travel warnings since 2009 and Thailand isn’t even in the top 25.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dotpoom said:

If a particular person/ nationality has a particular problem internationally..

then it is logical to conclude that the problem lies within that person.....rather than  within the area or citizens  where they choose to visit. 

I think you may have a point. Nevertheless, one of the aspects of this finding has to be the numbers of Brits coming here--more Brits here equates to more Brits with problems here.  However, if the problem is specifically tied to the area chosen, like Thailand's traffic for example; then some problems lie within the place too.

I think this "statistic" says more about British people than it does about Thailand. 

Never quite understood why there are so many British people in Thailand compared with other nationalities, guessing around 80% of the farangs I see in thailand are british. And they all have an obession to get as drunk as possible.

Could there be a connection ? Probably not.....so just drink up

Edited by Time Traveller
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Get Real said:

As we once again see in the news. The brits can be proud to be separated from other people, and once again stand alone with something unfathomable.

How in the world can it percentually be more risky for brits then other nationalities, if they are not the cause of the problem? Please, anybody. Enligthen me.

While I see your point; your basis is incorrect.The study only tested Brits. 

This is simply not factual.  Many places are more dangerous for Brits, and Americans and Europeans for that matter. There is considerable leeway to get in trouble in Thailand. Crossing the street needs to be given serious thought.

I have chatted with many British expats who live in Thailand because they got sick of

the British Winters, and also with having people of other countries buying up their

neighbourhoods, building a mosque and waking everyone up with in 2KMS every

morning at 5AM etc. They also got tired of the high costs of living in Britain.

I know of some Canadians who also live in Thailand for 6 months each year for

the same reasons. Dangerous but better warm or hot Winters, and cheap living

hmmm wonder what I will do in the next few years

Geezer

• Like 1