new rip off now at pattaya immigration

All this is nonsense if your'e on a retirement visa and live in Chonburi with the same address for years. 

I have never been asked to pay any fines and probably never will.   As long as I stay here.  I travel a lot , both inside and outside the country and get my Re-entry permit at Chonburi immigration .  After I return from abroad I do my 90 day report as normal , in and out within 10 minutes.  No questions asked. 

My next trip will be to Cambo , and there will be no problems .   

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, balo said:

All this is nonsense if your'e on a retirement visa and live in Chonburi with the same address for years. 

Chonburi issue retirement Visas?

Now that's nonsense.

Edited by Tanoshi

54 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Now that's nonsense.

I got mine in Chonburi - a "Non-Immigrant category O" to be precise... however he didn't say anything about where his visa was issued. If you feel the need to have a debate about terminology, please save it for the visa forum.

• Like 2

On 15 August 2018 at 12:59 PM, Briggsy said:

It is the former. i.e. they have changed their policy.

6 months ago, they weren't fining if you hadn't notified within 24 hours. You could rock up a month after you arrived and notify your address provided you had some supporting documentation. I watched about 40 people have to do it prior to their visa extensions. Only one was threatened with a fine after he kicked up a fuss.

Fast forward to now, they hit the landlord with a fine straight away if the notification is over 3 days. So it is a clear policy change. If it isn't paid, then the foreigner doesn't get his TM30 receipt slip and can't do his extension.

2 friends did their 90 day report last week at Jomtien with no issues. 

Neither had changed address and neither had done the 24 hour address report when they entered the country after making a trip overseas. 

So there seems to be some inconsistency here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tropo said:

I got mine in Chonburi - a "Non-Immigrant category O" to be precise...

I was under the impression that one had to travel to Savannakhet, Vientiane or Penang for such a visa.

6 hours ago, tropo said:

I got mine in Chonburi - a "Non-Immigrant category O" to be precise

And that is precisely what it's called, not a 'Retirement Visa'.

6 hours ago, tropo said:

If you feel the need to have a debate about terminology, please save it for the visa forum.

This is the Visa forum!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Scottjouro said:
4 hours ago, OJAS said:

I was under the impression that one had to travel to Savannakhet, Vientiane or Penang for such a visa.

Maybe he means an extension of stay based on an O, ? An extension is not a visa  

No, he doesn't mean an extension of stay. He means exactly what he stated.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Geordie59 said:

Neither had changed address and neither had done the 24 hour address report when they entered the country after making a trip overseas. 

They are consistently inconsistent. Your friend's experiences don't prove anything. Many others have been fined. Usually, the 90-day report doesn't catch people out. The OP was after a residence certificate when they caught him. Others are caught when applying for extensions.

14 minutes ago, tropo said:

I call it a "retirement visa" and 99.99% of punters here know exactly what I am referring to.

Unfortunately they don't, it cause's confusion.

It's not clear if you have a single entry Non Imm O Visa, OR

a Non Imm O ME Visa, OR

a Non Imm O-A Visa, all of which can be obtained through a Thai Embassy/Consulate for the purpose of retirement, dependant on your nationality and age. All of which carry different conditions.

It could also be an 'extension' based on retirement, which is a 'permit', not a Visa. Again it has different conditions to that of a Visa.

27 minutes ago, tropo said:

I used parentheses for the benefit of people like you.

Using 'Visa' as a parenthesis in this situation is not helpful, as  it's not grammatically correct.

35 minutes ago, tropo said:

You've only been at it a year... to join the ranks of the 100's that went before you.

Only under the current username, not the forum.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, tropo said:

Sorry, I thought it was the Pattaya forum. Good luck with your crusade. I call it a "retirement visa" and 99.99% of punters here know exactly what I am referring to. I used parentheses for the benefit of people like you. You've only been at it a year... to join the ranks of the 100's that went before you. It's like a relay race... when one retires, there's someone else to pick up the baton.

I have been on the losing end of this discussion before.

Immigration, agents, even this sites advertisements refer to it as such. 

Google it and it comes up as to what you are referring to.

I think we understand there are other options, but most with common sense who say they have a Retirement Visa, get it. I bet if you did a survey most would not understand what one was talking about if they refer to it in its technical term. Say Retirement Visa, and they do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Geordie59 said:

2 hours ago, tropo said:

They are consistently inconsistent. Your friend's experiences don't prove anything. Many others have been fined. Usually, the 90-day report doesn't catch people out. The OP was after a residence certificate when they caught him. Others are caught when applying for extensions.

Chonburi Immigration have two offices, the main one in Pattaya and a second located in Si Racha, but they both come under the same Chonburi Immigration. For some functions (such as extensions, 90 day reports, re-entry permits, etc) you can go to either, but for others (change of visa status, residency certificates, etc) you must go to Jomtien, those facilities are not available at Si Racha. 

As has been stated, although there are conflicting reports, if you do all your necessary paperwork at Jomtien it appears they don't (usually) require a TM 30 but, if you attend Si Racha they definitely do require an updated TM 30. When I was there a few weeks ago waiting in a queue to do my TM 30, after being out of Thailand for four weeks, there were two people who were fined fined being late with theirs, and from some comments from others one or two others were expecting a fine when it came to there turn.

So you have two offices, that are actually controlled and run by the same management team, that have totally different conflicting and opposite rules.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sumrit said:

Chonburi Immigration have two offices, the main one in Pattaya and a second located in Si Racha, but they both come under the same Chonburi Immigration. For some functions (such as extensions, 90 day reports, re-entry permits, etc) you can go to either, but for others (change of visa status, residency certificates, etc) you must go to Jomtien, those facilities are not available at Si Racha. 

As has been stated, although there are conflicting reports, if you do all your necessary paperwork at Jomtien it appears they don't (usually) require a TM 30 but, if you attend Si Racha they definitely do require an updated TM 30. When I was there a few weeks ago waiting in a queue to do my TM 30, after being out of Thailand for four weeks, there were two people who were fined fined being late with theirs, and from some comments from others one or two others were expecting a fine when it came to there turn.

So you have two offices, that are actually controlled and run by the same management team, that have totally different conflicting and opposite rules.

It's not about different offices. Very few expats on here would visit Si Racha and when we say Chonburi, we mean Jomtien. The inconsistencies are within the Jomtien office too. Some people are fined, some aren't. This could vary depending on the officer you see, or the day of the week.

3 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Unfortunately they don't, it cause's confusion.

It's not clear if you have a single entry Non Imm O Visa, OR

a Non Imm O ME Visa, OR

a Non Imm O-A Visa, all of which can be obtained through a Thai Embassy/Consulate for the purpose of retirement, dependant on your nationality and age. All of which carry different conditions.

It could also be an 'extension' based on retirement, which is a 'permit', not a Visa. Again it has different conditions to that of a Visa.

Using 'Visa' as a parenthesis in this situation is not helpful, as  it's not grammatically correct.

Only under the current username, not the forum.

Are you a banned member using a new username? What was your previous username so we can verify it. All your old posts would still be here.

It's all irrelevant. If you're getting yearly extensions for retirement purposes, you have a "retirement visa" and the rest of us understand perfectly well what it is and NO ONE will be confused. You're the one causing the confusion. "it's a permit, not a visa". LOL

8 hours ago, tropo said:

Are you a banned member using a new username? What was your previous username so we can verify it. All your old posts would still be here.

I don't have to verify anything. The idea of a username is to retain anonymity.

I have never been banned or received a warning.

Some of '100's' before, as you put it, probably also changed their username for personal reasons.

8 hours ago, tropo said:

It's all irrelevant. If you're getting yearly extensions for retirement purposes, you have a "retirement visa"

A contradiction in one sentence. An extension, or a Visa?

You obviously don't know the difference.

When a question is asked about a 'Retirement Visa'  the first thing other members have to ascertain is exactly what the member holds, either a Visa or an extension. Some Australian and US Thai Consulate websites refer to the O-A type as a 'Retirement Visa'.

In the UK you can obtain a Non Imm O single or ME when retired on a state pension. (A retirement Visa).

Quite often it turns out they have an extension based on retirement.

Answers to questions will vary dependant on determining what exactly the member has.

I defy you to show me either a 'Visa' obtained from a Thai Embassy/ Consulate, or an 'extension' obtained from local Immigration, where it states 'Retirement Visa' as the type.

21 hours ago, Geordie59 said:

Indeed. the 90-day desk and tourist extension desks are applying different standards. The former appears not to concern itself with the TM30, the latter requires a TM30 receipt slip to proceed. The inconsistency is between the different desks.

11 hours ago, tropo said:

It's not about different offices. Very few expats on here would visit Si Racha and when we say Chonburi, we mean Jomtien. The inconsistencies are within the Jomtien office too. Some people are fined, some aren't. This could vary depending on the officer you see, or the day of the week.

You obviously haven't visited Si Racha immigration and have no idea how many people go there do you. The vast majority of foreign people living in Chonburi (the city), Ban Sean, Si Racha/Leam Chabang and all areas in between tend to use Si Racha Immigration. They only visit Jomtien when they have to (for a residency certificate, after Si Racha were stopped from issuing them, for example). And remember there are a large (non Thai) Asian population living in that area. 

13 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I have been on the losing end of this discussion before.

Immigration, agents, even this sites advertisements refer to it as such. 

Google it and it comes up as to what you are referring to.

I think we understand there are other options, but most with common sense who say they have a Retirement Visa, get it. I bet if you did a survey most would not understand what one was talking about if they refer to it in its technical term. Say Retirement Visa, and they do.

11 hours ago, tropo said:

If you're getting yearly extensions for retirement purposes, you have a "retirement visa" and the rest of us understand perfectly well what it is and NO ONE will be confused.

Well, my understanding has always been that the nearest things to a "retirement visa" are either a non-OA visa or a non-O visa issued on the basis of being aged 50 or over. To the best of my knowledge neither can be extended at an immigration office through fresh visas of either of these types. I have always believed that the only visas issued by immigration offices are in one-off situations of non-O conversions.

That all said, however, I will readily admit that my ESP skills have never been up to much. I have tried looking on Lazada for a suitably reliable crystal ball to assist me in overcoming my clear deficiencies in this regard (and, in particular, in working out whether there is any hidden meaning to the word "visa" of which I am blissfully unaware), but, sadly, without success. ?

• Haha 1

One practical thing I think is if you say you have a retirement visa you may be seen as a resident of Thailand.Retirement has a permanent connotation I think its best to stick with the official statement of non immigrant visa on the basis of being over 50 with 1 yr extensions. That way you can claim not permanent resident in thailand due to you being on a guest visa.

On 8/19/2018 at 11:24 AM, Tanoshi said:

Now that's nonsense.

You are really keeping this thread alive, don't you?

I also go to Chonburi immigration and I am really confused now.
I'm on a Non O,  17 years in Thailand. The owner of the house is my wife. I have yellow book since 9 years and report every 90 days. 

Couple of months ago I heard first time from a friend, which is on a NON B here, also yearly extensions, that he got fined for not having reported TM.30. He was fined when he applied for a Reentry permit.

By that time I thought sooner or later I'll have to pay too. Next time my 90 day report came up, nobody said something.
In June I needed the Residence Certificate, Pattaya DLT did  not accept yellow book in June 2018,  and I thought this time I have to pay the fine 100% to get that piece of paper.

Nothing, nobody asked me for a TM.30 and I got the "Residence Certificate " within 10 minutes ( on base of the address of my driving licence :crazy: ).

Now two month later again 14 pages of blabla that it is absolutely necessary for everybody to make a TM.30.

The member parsve posted on page 8 #112 a  informative video, which is about 7 minutes long.

1.) There is an email address from Jomtien Immigration to report to:

screenshot_560.png.76dea2d7390a8dc7b7b51a05da03b044.png

2.) in that video it is mentioned, that a person who is "long term resident" and does report every 90 days, only need to report TM.30 again if he moves to a new address.

screenshot_561.png.f989f2f9e96c93af9d4ffd749c6b91a3.png

screenshot_562.png.ab224c0b90c06626a0cccf8eb68cebd3.png

Which is similar to what I have done in the past.

There is only one question: Why my friend has been fined for not reporting? His situation is very similar to mine, only difference is I'm on Non O and he is on Non B. 

So I'm still confused. Maybe someone who is really good informed (like a IO from chonburi) can confirm if the video, posted by member parse (thank you very much ?) is up to date with the procedure in Jomtien or not.

3 minutes ago, uwe_rayong said:

I'm on a Non O,  17 years in Thailand. The owner of the house is my wife. I have yellow book since 9 years and report every 90 days.

If your reporting every 90 days you dont have a visa, you have an extension of stay...most likely you havent had a visa for past 16 years 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stud858 said:

One practical thing I think is if you say you have a retirement visa you may be seen as a resident of Thailand.Retirement has a permanent connotation I think its best to stick with the official statement of non immigrant visa on the basis of being over 50 with 1 yr extensions. That way you can claim not permanent resident in thailand due to you being on a guest visa.

I year extensions are not visa, they are extension of stay for the purposes of retirement...i wish people would really understand the difference...

A Visa gets you in a country for a specfic period of time

Extension of stay allows you to remain once period specifed on your visa has expired...

Not the same thing 

• Like 2

On 8/15/2018 at 5:34 PM, Tanoshi said:

Having a Yellow book has nothing to do with TM30 reporting.

Which office do you use, not all enforce the law.

Is it possible to get a Yellow Book if you not on an extension of stay?

15 minutes ago, Scottjouro said:

I year extensions are not visa, they are extension of stay for the purposes of retirement...i wish people would really understand the difference...

A Visa gets you in a country for a specfic period of time

Extension of stay allows you to remain once period specifed on your visa has expired...

Not the same thing 

I am not on a retirement, too young. My extension of stay is based on marriage. 

Some people say, they got fined when they made the 90 days report. How can someone make a 90 day report if not on an extension of stay?

I am still confused. My friend, who told me he was fined around January, is also on yearly extension of stay based on work. 

3 minutes ago, uwe_rayong said:

You are really keeping this thread alive, don't you?

Well there are those who claim it's semantics, which is an excuse for 'I really don't understand' or 'I don't know'.

It's a case of using the correct terminology in order to assist and give the correct advice.

It's very easy, on every Visa it will state the 'type' of Visa, Non Imm O, Non Imm O-A, Non Imm B, Tourist etc, also the number of entries, be it one or multiple. That's the information required to give advice.

In the case of an extension, it clearly states the reason the extension was issued, Retirement, Married to a Thai, etc.

It also clearly states 'extension of stay permitted up to' ………….

It's a permit, not a Visa. That is reinforced by a line further down 'to keep your stay permit, re-entry permit must be made before leaving Thailand'.

Sadly to say, your don't have a Non O Visa. It expired many years ago. Look at the 'enter before' date, that's when it expired.

You were given permission to stay from that Visas entry for 90 days. Look at the entry stamp 'admitted until' ……..

Each year you are extending that permission to stay for another year.

If people bothered to actually read and quote what it states on their Visa or Extension stamp, life would be much simpler.