The death of Walking Street

soistalker

7 hours ago, bartender100 said:

Years ago (20+) I would be there every night on WS, but not now. LK Metro much better

But no its not dying, the opposite to that, gets busier all the time just not as we knew it 

Agree, WS was very busy last weekend. LK Metro is also a surprisingly successful development in recent years, but there's no discos there and it tends to wrap up at 3am.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

The gogo bars almost universally don't allow cameras.

Correct with some exceptions. On the three times I saw it, the punter had his camera taken off him and the pics wiped, the second the HA type Ozzie bikers told me to FO when I complained the other time the mama san just dismissed my complaint  as it was dismissed as it was just a selfie with the girls..I took the matter to the owners who put the MS straight. That's 3 incidents in 30 years. Back in the old days no photography was allowed even in the courtyard of NP. It was a good kicking offence. Quite right too!

Edited by The manic

4 hours ago, BestB said:

15 years ago there were few choices , now there are dozens.

happy a go go has not been renovated for 15 years , how do they expect to compete with brand new go go’

Yes, far more discos now, and later closing is normal. People forget the way Thaksin/ Purachai cracked down on this sort of thing, as well as "dress codes" in the bars.

Happy agogo is still cheap for draft beer, though unfortunately not 35 baht like it was back then. But they always had an attractive bar layout, hence the place remains more appealing than many of the newer places and is often still full. 

14 minutes ago, The manic said:

Correct with some exceptions. On the three times I saw it, the punter had his camera taken off him and the pics wiped, the second the HA type Ozzie bikers told me to FO when I complained the other time the mama san just dismissed my complaint  as it was dismissed as it was just a selfie with the girls..I took the matter to the owners who put the MS straight. That's 3 incidents in 30 years. Back in the old days no photography was allowed even in the courtyard of NP. It was a good kicking offence. Quite right too!

True, some places like Sapphire are ok with it, though they're all in coyote gear in there. For the most part though, they're one of the safest places to sit without fear of being instagrammed. 

1 minute ago, lamyai3 said:

True, some places like Sapphire are ok with it, though they're all in coyote gear in there. For the most part though, they're one of the safest places to sit without fear of being instagrammed. 

I only go to GG bars where the girls are nude or topless. Sapphire is awful.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:
7 hours ago, KittenKong said:

There are many popular attractions all over the world. Few if any interest me and most of them I wouldn't go to even if I was paid to.

Personally I always like somewhere quiet with a nice view, with as few people around as possible.

So how come you've parked you ass in Pattaya?

Pattaya has quiet places with nice views and very few people around, e.g. our home.

:whistling:

17 minutes ago, The manic said:

You haven't seen it on a good night. Though I only go there late due to it's flexible closing arrangements. Otherwise, if you're talking about titties on parade and more, it's certainly dangerous trying to take photos in those places as they're already operating outside the official rules. No difference in Bangkok. 

29 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

You haven't seen it on a good night. Though I only go there late due to it's flexible closing arrangements. Otherwise, if you're talking about titties on parade and more, it's certainly dangerous trying to take photos in those places as they're already operating outside the official rules. No difference in Bangkok. 

I never take pics. Are the girls at Sapphire naked or topless as they are in other places in Soi 15? Do the girls want to be bar fined or are they agency workers? Are the bar fines less than a thousand baht? Are ST rates 2000k or less? Is the dumb DJ just playing last week's week's  Insomnia remix? Are you instructed to "Put your f***ing hand up Bi**h, B###h, B*** *h?  If the answer is no  to these questions is then that's great but I believe the answer is yes so  it's a waste of time for me and pointless. Just a tourist haunt that has a good internet presence   I look forward to your reply,  genuinely. 

7 hours ago, NanLaew said:

You haven't really lived in Pattaya unless you've attended at least a couple of dozen of those. That was the mid-point of any well orchestrated night on the pish. If you hadn't grabbed a disco starlet before 2 AM, then you hung out with your boozy mates at Lucky Stars looking for a "you'll do me" consolation prize. If your net was still empty at 5 AM, it was 'home alone' time.

Think I'll pass on all that, thanks.

3 minutes ago, The manic said:

I never take pics. Are the girls at Sapphire naked or topless as they are in other places in Soi 15? Do the girls want to be bar fined or are they agency workers? Are the bar fines less than a thousand baht? Are ST rates 2000k or less? Is the dumb DJ just playing last week's week's  Insomnia remix? Are you instructed to "Put your f***ing hand up Bi**h, B###h, B*** *h?  If the answer is no  to these questions is then that's great but I believe the answer is yes so  it's a waste of time for me and pointless. Just a tourist haunt that has a good internet presence   I look forward to your reply,  genuinely. 

You may dislike the music, which is the same sort of dance/ hip hop mix you find everywhere. I'm fine with dance music, but not impressed with an awful lot of it, I don't think anyone who went clubbing in the late 80s and early 90s ever could be. Gotta agree that "f'ing hands up" tune is mind numbing.

No idea of the prices, probably as you mention - but the girls seem to be quite free to leave at closing and do as they like without too many formalities. It's also a pretty non pushy place in terms of drinks hustling, though at the same time the place attracts some high rollers, and pulling the bell happens more often than usual. Barfines have always seemed redundant in Pattaya at the tail end of the evening due to the sheer volumes of girls hitting the streets, it's nothing like the Soi Cowboy grapevine. So yes, I think pretty easy to swap phone numbers and hit the disco or wherever if the girl likes you, though I think that's true of many places. 

Living here it is the last place I go.  I do not think I have been in a year.

WS is a tourist rip off girls in a hurry and bad performance venue for foolish people.

I like to spend time with a lady for a few hours and it is way at the bottom of my list.

No need for the place I actually hope they tear it down and make a family entertainment center out of it.

Edited by bkk6060

3 hours ago, The manic said:

Exactly, i can't see the point of an a go go where the girls are fully clothed from head to foot. I can see more flesh walking down the street.

• Thanks 1

Exactly, i can't see the point of an a go go where the girls are fully clothed from head to foot. I can see more flesh walking down the street.
Personally I think girls look sexier in coyote outfits, rather than naked. In gogos you can sit with the girl of your choice to establish a "connection" before parting with too much cash, which is not so easy to do when picking up streetwalkers.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Walking street has been changing for a long time and it is really inline with the change in the demographics, hence why it feels different to those that frequented in years gone by.

I lived in an apartment above one of the better beer bars (the then Jan Bar, later Roo Bar) on what was just part of Beach road and later became Walking street, from 1991 for about 6 years and had some great times, now those beer bars have gone, replaced by gogo bars etc. Roo bar being one of them after 26 years, replaced by an Indian orientated gogo.

IMO the whole atmosphere of the street died years ago.

When I moved over to the Darkside in 1999, I still went to WS often, but it slowly became a pain, especially battling your way down the street through the hoards of Chinese and Russians drinking water. 

I haven't been for about 4 years and TBH it wouldn't bother me if I never went again, partly because I have changed and find it boring.

Edited by Mattd
  • Like 2

Last time i walking trough Walking Street then near that Russian strip joint a male Russian plopper comes up to me speaking very loud in my ear and wildly pointing to the upstairs Russian strip joint blabla with very serious look in his eye and a convincing voice tone and all in An unknown language for me?..

Now what insults me about this is that apparently he thinks that i am a Russian just from my appearance?

Edited by Destiny1990

5 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

The gogo bars almost universally don't allow cameras.

Universally, most punters mobile phones have cameras.

4 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Think I'll pass on all that, thanks.

The time to pass on that was over 30 years ago... it's all quite rubbish now for the reasons stated by others.

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Personally I think girls look sexier in coyote outfits, rather than naked. In gogos you can sit with the girl of your choice to establish a "connection" before parting with too much cash, which is not so easy to do when picking up streetwalkers.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

But most of the coconut bar girls are not conversation averse either. In faact most of them have a much better handle on farangspeak than the average agency stunner guzzling expensive lollywater.

...and if you want to wine & dine 'em a little first, the KFC @ RGP is good... or the underground Took Lae Dee @ Foodland if you're concerned about being seen striking up a public conversation with a slapper.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

...and if you want to wine & dine 'em a little first, the KFC @ RGP is good... or the underground Took Lae Dee @ Foodland if you're concerned about being seen striking up a public conversation with a slapper.

It was always the Beer Garden for me......loud and proud!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The manic said:

Costumes can cover a whole mess of bodily flaws including birth and stretch marks and sagging mams and bodily scars. When you buy a girl a drink she can put on some clothes if you wish. Back in the day all GG bars were nude. If you want a clothed girl go to a disco with freelancers and no bar fine. Clothes have no place in a go go bar. Thats burlesque. 

"Back in the day", there was only 1 gogo bar.

Then there was a rash of them with only a very few being 'clothing optional'.

Now apparently, it's open (wide) season and the fact you can see her breakfast before you've necked half your San Mig Lite means the fun but ultimately futile hunt for 'The One' is pretty much over before it's even started.

Check bin... Next!

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

Now apparently, it's open (wide) season and the fact you can see her breakfast before you've necked half your San Mig Lite means the fun but ultimately futile hunt for 'The One' is pretty much over before it's even started.

If you are "well built" it's an advantage to "see her breakfast" first to ensure there aren't going to be any issues later.

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

"Back in the day", there was only 1 gogo bar.

Then there was a rash of them with only a very few being 'clothing optional'.

Check bin... Next!

Sorry.  If you wish to go back in the day in a silly way there was not even a brick building in Pattaya.I was referring to the 80s and 90s up to 2008 when the vast majority of the 70 odd GG bars were nude and coyote and agency girls were unheard of. Check bin. Next!