Man arrested after suspected parliament attack named as Salih Khater - source

webfact

Man arrested after suspected parliament attack named as Salih Khater - source

2018-08-15T074143Z_1_LYNXMPEE7E0OE_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-SECURITY.JPG

Cyclists pedal to work as police officers stand at the vehicle barrier to the Houses of Parliament where a car crashed after knocking down cyclists and pedestrians yesterday in Westminster, London, Britain, August 15, 2018. REUTERS/Hannah McKay

LONDON (Reuters) - A man detained on Tuesday on suspicion of deliberately targeting pedestrians outside Britain's parliament is Salih Khater, a British citizen of Sudanese origin who was not previously known to intelligence agencies, a European security source said.

Police arrested a 29-year-old man after he appeared to drive his car at cyclists and pedestrians before ramming his car into barriers.

"It is still being treated as terrorism but the motive is unknown as yet," said a European security source. Police have not given any further details about the man's identity.

(Reporting by Kate Holton; editing by Michael Holden)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-08-15

Police search addresses after suspected terrorist attack at UK parliament

2018-08-15T070435Z_2_LYNXMPEE7E0LT_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-SECURITY.JPG

Forensic investigators work at the site after a car crashed outside the Houses of Parliament in Westminster, London, Britain, August 14, 2018. REUTERS/Henry Nicholls

LONDON (Reuters) - Police searched three addresses in central England as part of an investigation into what they said appeared to be a terrorist attack outside Britain's parliament when a man drove a car into pedestrians and cyclists.

A 29-year-old driver, a British citizen who had originally come from another country, was arrested on Tuesday morning after ramming his car into barriers outside parliament in Westminster, injuring three people.

"Given that this appears to be a deliberate act, the method, and this being an iconic site, we are treating it as a terrorist incident," London Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu told reporters shortly after the crash.

Police said the incident appeared to be the second terrorist attack at the building in just under 18 months, after Khalid Masood, 52, killed four people on nearby Westminster Bridge in March 2017. He stabbed an unarmed police officer to death before being shot dead.

That was the first of five attacks in Britain last year that police designated as terrorism, three of which used vehicles as weapons.

Police said late on Tuesday they were searching three addresses, two in Birmingham and one in Nottingham, in a bid to understand "the full circumstances and motivation behind this incident".

The suspect, who has not been formally identified, is not believed to be known to security forces, and police have said he is not cooperating with detectives.

The BBC, citing unnamed sources, have reported that the man was from the Birmingham area and known to police, although not to intelligence or counter-terrorism agencies.

No one else was in the vehicle at the time of the incident and no weapons have been found.

Video footage showed the car making an illegal turn before veering across the road and into a security lane leading to parliament before smashing into the protective barrier as two police officers jumped to safety.

Before the incident it had driven around the streets at the heart of government for more than 90 minutes, police said.

A man and woman who were taken to hospital have both since been discharged.

(Reporting by Sarah Young)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-08-15

21 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I decline to comment as I will be accused of prejudice and bigotry.

BTW, we are NOT going to turn London into an armoured fortress because of bunch of <deleted>

Why would you care what others think of you?

Congratulations on surviving since the 12th!

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Why would you care what others think of you?

Congratulations on surviving since the 12th!

Ha! Well spotted. I was being ironic! I don't give a rat's **** what people think of me.

As far as the glorious is concerned, I've survived several. There are old Grouse and bold Grouse but no old bold Grouse! Cheers! I'm drinking the water of life right now!

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Ha! Well spotted. I was being ironic! I don't give a rat's **** what people think of me.

As far as the glorious is concerned, I've survived several. There are old Grouse and bold Grouse but no old bold Grouse! Cheers! I'm drinking the water of life right now!

Must be tough. personally, I think it should be banned.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Anyone with names like this should be watched more carefully as they are a threat, more than John Smith. Plus they call people like me "infidels" and their religion says to kill me!

They are everywhere, check your sheds!

https://www.thesun.co.uk/archives/news/280145/amin-yashed-furious-man-replies-to-facebook-trolls-making-shed-jokes-about-his-name/

Seem to remember the Provos wanting to kill all English people. Should we treat everyone with an Irish name the same?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, ivor bigun said:

What truly pisses me off is that a scumbag like thise can come to Britain get benifits and a British passport,but a pensioner here in Thailand not getting 18600 pounds a year cannot take his Thai wife back home with him.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I wouldn't want to take my wife back there, despite having the income. There is good reason for the UK to stop non-working Thai women moving to the UK.

• Confused 1