Flu shot and Shingles shot in Thailand: Cost

7of9rocks

I don't know if this will help anyone but I'm posting this with the hope that it will help at least one poor soul.

Warning: don't be an idiot like me!     What happened?    In a nutshell, I was on vacation in Thailand about 3 weeks ago and since I had the time, I decided to go to the well known Samitivej Hospital in Bangkok.   I registered and then said, "I'll be happy to get some shots".    I wasn't really thinking.    I was in the stupid mode of "everything is so cheap in Thailand".    So after talking to a doctor, I decided to get a flu shot and a shingles shot.     Everything was fine until I got the bill.    $200 US dollars!     I have nothing bad to say about the hospital, just about myself!     It was stupid and wrong for me to assume that everything would be cheaper in Thailand!    I could have gotten both shots in the U.S. at a fraction of the amount I paid in Thailand!

Ugh!    So please don't be stupid like me and learn from my mistake.

If you're going to do anything at a hospital, ask about the cost for heaven's sake!

Okay, enough self loathing.    $200 was the price I paid for learning; never again!     ?

Every local thing is cheap (or at least most). But things which have to import from outside like Europe (Flu shot i guess coming from Europe) are mostly more or much more expensive than in Europe or in your case US.

3 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Ever seen shingles?

No, and I'm not saying that it wasn't a good thing to get but I'm just saying there was no reason for me to pay way more than I had to.    There was no urgency and I could have gotten the same shots in the US at a fraction of the amount I paid in Bangkok.

I understand shingles can be a very painful condition. However, I was not aware there was a vaccination for shingles. Perhaps one of our medical experts can confirm or deny?

Yeah, there is. My sister had shingles a few years ago and I went ahead and got the vaccine.

I think (but do no know) you are more susceptible if you’ve had Chicken Pox.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sheryl, thanks for your thoughtful comments.     Yes, I was thinking of the cost in the US being much less because I'm sure my insurance would have helped BUT your comments make me feel a little less of a fool so thank you!

Thanks also for the good advice regarding the more effective vaccine.    I will look for it.

9 hours ago, Lacessit said:

A very clever riposte, if you meant it that way.

I have no idea why the poster felt motivated to say such a disparaging thing but fortunately for me, it didn't matter.     With all the negativity in this world, it's disappointing to see people 'cut down' rather than 'build up' other people.    If I were in my twenties, I'd probably get upset and try to say something negative but since I am old enough to be somewhat wiser, I am comfortable acknowledging the fact that I'm not perfect   ?

• Like 1

It really shouldn't be that long since , unlike the first Shingles vaccine,  it is not a live virus so does not need refrigeration

As Sheryl accurately reported it is a two shot series with a two month break between doses

Am on Medicare in the US , with Blue Cross as my "supplemental" and the two shot series cost me nothing, all paid by Medicare and insurance

• 2 months later...
On 8/17/2018 at 5:13 PM, sfokevin said:

When will the new shingles vaccine be available in Thailand?

No reply in August. 
Dies anyone know now when Shingrix will be available in Thailand?

Or if it is available anywhere nearby? Singapore?

I had a bad dose about a year ago and will do anything to prevent getting it again, even flying to Singapore, maybe USA is a bit too far...

• Like 1

GSK still can't keep up with the demand in the US, on back-order at most pharmacies so shortages will continue there for quite some time. I'm surprised they so badly misjudged the demand. I don't like getting injections, but having seen the pain and eye issues a relative has gone through, it's one vaccine I will get as as soon as I can. You need two shots, two to six months apart for Shingrix unlike Zostavax.

https://www.journalinquirer.com/business/shingles-shot-in-short-supply/article_edbdc3e0-e8f5-11e8-9744-a3e464fd40ad.html

Here's the list of GSK products for Singapore (no Shingrix). Could be a rather long wait before it is available in Singapore or Thailand.

http://sg.gsk.com/en-sg/products/prescription-medicines-and-vaccines/

I received the first of the two shot series of the new vaccine in the US this past May, by the time I left at the end of October, the second in the series was still not available. Even my Primary Care physician was unable to secure me a dose. 

My predictions is if you own stock in GSK, sell ,  because I guarantee there are going to be massive law suits against a company that promised adequate supplies of the second shot but failed to deliver.  No one knows the consequences of just getting half the series  

And Yes, I will sign up for the first class action lawsuit

I received the first of the two shot series of the new vaccine in the US this past May, by the time I left at the end of October, the second in the series was still not available. Even my Primary Care physician was unable to secure me a dose. 

My predictions is if you own stock in GSK, sell ,  because I guarantee there are going to be massive law suits against a company that promised adequate supplies of the second shot but failed to deliver.  No one knows the consequences of just getting half the series  

And Yes, I will sign up for the first class action lawsuit

What will your damages be?

If your lucky maybe you can get shingles while waiting for the suit, that should be worth a good bit of dough...

• 7 months later...
On 11/16/2018 at 2:46 PM, Sheryl said:

It is not available anywhere inthe region AFAIK.

Is Shingrix still unavailable in Thailand? How so?

I have just experienced Shingles in old age, had Chicken Pox as a young child, and carrying a bag full of Acyclovir with me on my travels today in not always convenient? The live virus vaccine seems less desirable with the new Shingrix solution out so shouldn't Shingrix be out now to buy?

Thanks.

Is Shingrix still unavailable in Thailand? How so?

I have just experienced Shingles in old age, had Chicken Pox as a young child, and carrying a bag full of Acyclovir with me on my travels today in not always convenient? The live virus vaccine seems less desirable with the new Shingrix solution out so shouldn't Shingrix be out now to buy?

Thanks.
Shingrix remains unavailable in Thailand. Zostavax is available.

In order to be available here the Thai FDA must register it.

For that to happen the manufacturer must submit a request a various types of documentation. It is an expensive and time consuming process.

I have no idea if Shingrix manufacturer has started this process in Thailand but would not be surprised if they have not. The decision to proceed is based on anticipated sales and shingles vaccine is not provided free to Thais under the govt health system so the market for it here would be small.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

so the market for it here would be small.

Thanks for reply … market small but the same market as for Zostavax  which is available?

I spoke to a doctor about this today (cost me 750THB for the 10 minute conversation!) and this doctor had to phone the boss up and ask about Shinglex as she hadn't heard of it. Now she knows but says the approval process can take 5 years for Thailand. The doctor also didn't recommend Zostavax until late is life, saying after the first Zostavax vaccine wears off in several years there is no follow process clearly understood. I was told to just carry a bag full of acylovire pills around if a shingles attack ever recurs. Seems to happen about once a year for me.

A vaccine like Shinglex sounds like what I want but cannot get it.

Would be interested to read from others who have dealt with shingles in Thailand and how they cope.