Disgraceful! Tourists doing the reverse splits at Ayutthaya ruins!

webfact

1 minute ago, oldrunner said:

One of our homes is in Ayutthaya and we pass by the ruins every time we come and go from our home there. I'm not terribly religious; however, I do respect Thai Temples, Thai revered sites, and the ruins in Ayutthaya. It's not much to ask that anyone visiting such sites behave in a manner befitting the site.

Yeah and because some Thai folks act like jerkoffs too is not an excuse for foreigners to do it or get all in their feelings about being criticized for it. 

It's called manners. My daddy taught me when I was 6.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, oldrunner said:

One of our homes is in Ayutthaya and we pass by the ruins every time we come and go from our home there. I'm not terribly religious; however, I do respect Thai Temples, Thai revered sites, and the ruins in Ayutthaya. It's not much to ask that anyone visiting such sites behave in a manner befitting the site.

Perhaps you should sell "one of your homes" and purchase property where there are no disrespectful foreigners so as not to upset you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Yeah and because some Thai folks act like jerkoffs too is not an excuse for foreigners to do it or get all in their feelings about being criticized for it. 

It's called manners. My daddy taught me when I was 6.

Well actually, for the tourist, I think it is.  "When in Rome, do as the Romans do".  When a foreign tourist visits any site in Thailand and sees how the locals act, then it's quite excusable to believe it's okay!

Doing this provocative stuff here is offensive to many Thais as these places are culturally important to them and have allowed them to be shared with all visitors...fair enough. Personally, I am fairly ambivalent to it all, apart from a frown towards the motivations for these exhibitionists doing it. Most of these morons that do this stuff are only doing it so they can post it on social media in a narcissistic and vain way to get the 'look at me' thing going or that they are 'breaking new ground' in the endless quest for likes/views etc. They should not only be fined for being disrespectful but also detained for being a lunatic. The power of social media has rotted everyone's brain.  

• Like 1

Sings on multilingual languages spelling it out should be all over the place, along with some CCTV cameras for facial recognition.

The sign should have heavy fines and imprisonment might help, however they would have to apply either or both and I somehow don't believe they are capable of it, because everytime something like this happens, its a 50 baht fine and a wai.

1,000,000 baht fine or imprisonment or both should be on the sign, no payment of fine means remaining in prison until fine is paid, simple really. 

18 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Sings on multilingual languages spelling it out should be all over the place, along with some CCTV cameras for facial recognition.

The sign should have heavy fines and imprisonment might help, however they would have to apply either or both and I somehow don't believe they are capable of it, because everytime something like this happens, its a 50 baht fine and a wai.

1,000,000 baht fine or imprisonment or both should be on the sign, no payment of fine means remaining in prison until fine is paid, simple really. 

I've just been through this with my wife.  She agrees 100% that, as we both know, Thais use these places for photo opportunities and do so by posing, hugging a statue and climbing.

If fines etc were enforced in these situations there would be many more Thais in the firing line than tourists.  Tourists may not know any better but surely the locals do, so why do they ignore the 'protocol'?

The Golden Goose that is tourism comes with a price. That being said, those that have suggested that having an educational conversation at the entrance may help. Those who point out that the Thais act with a greater level of disrespect by littering have surfaced a far greater problem that really does deserve more attention. Any suggestions regarding a corrective action would need to be enforceable. One would think that if you are caught littering you should be tasked with collecting 2 kilos of rubbish or paying a fine that would offset the cost of hiring workers to clean up after the offenders.

• Like 1

They are probably just Youtube Vloggers and are willing to do anything to earn a few dollars. 1 mill views on Youtube and you can earn a small fortune. 

Edited by balo

13 hours ago, james.d said:

I visited these places 2 days ago morning and afternoon and they were clean. The only piles of rubbish I saw were where the overseas tourists were scoffing lunch down or later waiting to board their buses in the car parks.

Must have been some terrible lunch if they were scoffing it. 

This park is not well cared for.

As a general rule, ruins are not temples and therefore it is acceptable to bear skin when walking about. This is stupid behavior bound to get attention especially in this faux moral climate of military regime.

Once again, stupid farang inviting scorn

• Like 2

On 8/17/2018 at 8:16 AM, missoura said:

I

The Thais said the Burmese were bad people for doing this and not to be trusted. Even today. The Burmese teacher said that the Burma army was just doing what the Thai army had done to them in the past.

I have also had conversations with well educated, middle class Thai about the Burmese invasion of Thailand and they almost spat the words "Shwedagon Chedi - built with Thai gold".

The Khmer seem much more relaxed about the Thai sacking of Ankor Wat.

• Thanks 1

On 8/17/2018 at 9:05 AM, james.d said:

I visited these places 2 days ago morning and afternoon and they were clean. The only piles of rubbish I saw were where the overseas tourists were scoffing lunch down or later waiting to board their buses in the car parks.

Did you meet any outraged f-wit netizens?