A story from a friend

So apparently he says the land will be in his name 

I said can't do ( depending )

He is buying through another Falang that he says owns quite a bit of land about 10 km out of Korat

Apparently the Falang has said to him " which parcel of land do you want, you can have this 2 rai or that 3 rai "

He is even going to provide power , water ect 

I told my friend to be very careful 

Then my friend told me about the company episode - So I warned him again 

Apparently the Falang selling the land has a brewing business in town ( maybe a member ? ) 

My friend has put a deposit down - I told him to find something with a Chanote & put it in his kids name 

He also said he got a loan through the bank

I just don't believe he can achieve this in having a block of land in his name 

I have read many threads on here & researched Thai Law & I would certainly be checking this, in which I told my friend to do 

What are all your thoughts members 

& thanks 

Edited by BEVUP

It's just all about finding a loophole in the law. And as long they dont check, it works.

Once i found on internet a Thai company, which had such a construction, though site was in English.

I believe it was in Udon Thani. So i send a mail about how or what it should work and if they also could

make it work in whole Thailand, however never got a reply.

As far i know, you cant have land. Only by Thai company, or wife (Thai nominee) with usufruct 

Maybe the alien friend has such a construction and can work from that?

I wouldnt go blind in and sure first try to find out more about the construction.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

It's just all about finding a loophole in the law. And as long they dont check, it works.

Once i found on internet a Thai company, which had such a construction, though site was in English.

I believe it was in Udon Thani. So i send a mail about how or what it should work and if they also could

make it work in whole Thailand, however never got a reply.

As far i know, you cant have land. Only by Thai company, or wife (Thai nominee) with usufruct 

Maybe the alien friend has such a construction and can work from that?

I wouldnt go blind in and sure first try to find out more about the construction.

Foreigners owning land, except for perhaps never before heard of loopholes in the law, IMHO Thai attitudes to this subject (therefore the laws involved) will very probably never change.

Thailand is not a multi-cultural society (not saying that's good or bad) in fact 90% of Thai folks don't even know what 'multi-cultural society' really means (not their fault). What they do know (from immersion in the overall attitudes of Thai society) is 'yes you live here, but when are you going home?',  etc.

Is the attitude / law about foreigners owning land going to change? IMHO the answer is not for at least the next 50 years and maybe never.

Comments please...

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 2

I have looked at land that had chanote title and also had a choice of several blocks. The trouble was that all the titles were issued illegally as explained by the Land Office. Get him to check with them and also the local Municipal Office to see what problems there are. If he does not listen to your advice and what is posted here he is one dumb sucker.

Edited by GreasyFingers
innapropriate word
  • Like 1

About 18 years ago in Phuket, a German bought a block inside a village...Only access rd was the one through the village......He paid 1 mill... n when he went to do something with it the lovely village people stopped him at the entrance n demanded they get 1 mill also.....He had to leave it as he was scammed..

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, worgeordie said:

He's already paid a deposit,without seeing land title,he could end up

buying land (which cannot be in his name),and have no access to it

if it at the back of the large plot,the seller is going to provide Electric,

Water,and access road, ?if he is committed to buying, he needs to get

his lawyer to draw a contract up,that stipulates,what the seller is

offering,and what will be the consequences if seller does not comply.

I would be more worried about buying land from a Farang,than a Thai.

regards Worgeordie

True

It is not too difficult for your friend to  inform himself of the restrictions regarding foreign ownership before he parts with more cash. If he decides not to do so and relies on friends to seek advice for him via social media then finds out he is not the named owner after parting with his savings then more fool him.

• Like 1

Agree farang can’t own land even if a house sits on it. We ( I paid it’s in wife’s name) bought a lot a couple years ago. The head village guy and someone that takes care of agreements in the village to make sure on the up and up were present when the deal was paid etc.  

Bought from Thai/Farang who are good people and we’ve became friends. They live the dirt road over. Husband wasn’t involved the land his wife bought long ago. 

I asked when will we get the title for the land? Next year which would’ve been 2017 first quarter. I asked early this year and said need to wait unless want to pay like 20k baht.

The reason is a single individual (older man) owns the land which is large block of lots. He sold all of them off. But if you want the deed ASAP then pay him 20k. The gentleman’s child said they’d sign over the 

deeds at 2k but can’t do it until he passes away. Crazy huh. 

Villages have some strange things going on. Your friend needs to check 

about the deed and if it’s clear as separate lot or may face the same. 

As as far as myself I’m not concerned they’d have to move the house 

to get me off the land. 

The people are nice and seem genuine. You have to be able to ask questions and not rely on what in my case my wife said. Maybe get outside person that has no interest either way to explain it to him. 

Or look over and say... what’s that KY jelly for??? Careful 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, beachproperty said:

Bottom line.....Falangs can't buy or own land (so don't know how he  could get a loan). He just got ripped off for the deposit.

He can put up the money ,,,Like many Do But Can't own it on paper.

4 hours ago, rumak said:

I would be equally worried ...thai or farang.   God, you can warn and warn....girls, land, you name it.

Some people just never going to learn.  Cause they know better ( ?)   Fools rush in.......

Yeah, and sometimes you lose friendships with well-meaning warnings--why you getting your nose into my business?

3 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Yeah, and sometimes you lose friendships with well-meaning warnings--why you getting your nose into my business?

hey smother B....how it B ?   ya know, you are right (no debate).   I have been on this planet long enough

that I rarely TALK to a farang.  Thai or farang,  i just watch and whistle.   I like to think i have learned from

my experiences, which do include mistakes.   And i want everyone to have the same opportunity without

me butting in with my know it all attitude.  Like i said....fools, go ahead and rush in

2 minutes ago, rumak said:

hey smother B....how it B ?   ya know, you are right (no debate).   I have been on this planet long enough

that I rarely TALK to a farang.  Thai or farang,  i just watch and whistle.   I like to think i have learned from

my experiences, which do include mistakes.   And i want everyone to have the same opportunity without

me butting in with my know it all attitude.  Like i said....fools, go ahead and rush in

I wish I could do that; not butt-in.  I can with people I don't care about, but with friends, I have to open my big mouth. I say to myself, I would want to be told.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, smotherb said:

I wish I could do that; not butt-in.  I can with people I don't care about, but with friends, I have to open my big mouth. I say to myself, I would want to be told.

Just an idea, but you could open a thread on here asking for stories from TV members about former "friends" they had here in Thailand.....  Did they have mostly good experiences or bad ?

And, just for the record..I will tell you things if you wish....but only if you promise not to tell me I'm wrong .

No debates.  mai sanuk

1 hour ago, rumak said:

Just an idea, but you could open a thread on here asking for stories from TV members about former "friends" they had here in Thailand.....  Did they have mostly good experiences or bad ?

And, just for the record..I will tell you things if you wish....but only if you promise not to tell me I'm wrong .

No debates.  mai sanuk

There was a discussion about this---should you tell or not--several months ago. My story is simple; I lost an old friend.

I can't promise not to say you're wrong without knowing what you said.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, tagalong said:

About 18 years ago in Phuket, a German bought a block inside a village...Only access rd was the one through the village......He paid 1 mill... n when he went to do something with it the lovely village people stopped him at the entrance n demanded they get 1 mill also.....He had to leave it as he was scammed..

doesn't sound right. If it's a village, then the village's roads are public roads and anyone can go through the village. If you mean a gated community and the property bought is part of the gated community, access to the house can't be blocked. The only thing I can think of in case of gated community is that common fees were not paid by previous owner but even then I think it must go through court to prevent access to the house

5 hours ago, DJ54 said:

Agree farang can’t own land even if a house sits on it. We ( I paid it’s in wife’s name) bought a lot a couple years ago. The head village guy and someone that takes care of agreements in the village to make sure on the up and up were present when the deal was paid etc.  

Bought from Thai/Farang who are good people and we’ve became friends. They live the dirt road over. Husband wasn’t involved the land his wife bought long ago. 

I asked when will we get the title for the land? Next year which would’ve been 2017 first quarter. I asked early this year and said need to wait unless want to pay like 20k baht.

The reason is a single individual (older man) owns the land which is large block of lots. He sold all of them off. But if you want the deed ASAP then pay him 20k. The gentleman’s child said they’d sign over the 

deeds at 2k but can’t do it until he passes away. Crazy huh. 

Villages have some strange things going on. Your friend needs to check 

about the deed and if it’s clear as separate lot or may face the same. 

As as far as myself I’m not concerned they’d have to move the house 

to get me off the land. 

The people are nice and seem genuine. You have to be able to ask questions and not rely on what in my case my wife said. Maybe get outside person that has no interest either way to explain it to him. 

Or look over and say... what’s that KY jelly for??? Careful 

this too sounds wrong. When you buy a plot with chanot the deal is completed at the land department and you get the chanot with the new owner's name right there and then. The way you described in your post suggests you didn't buy from the actual owner (if I got it right you bought from a couple but have to get the chanot from another person). Another option is that you bought a plot with a red chanot which can't be sold for 5 or 10 years from the date the chanot was issued. If that's the case, you can't get the new owner's name on the chanot before the end of the 5 or 10 years and no amount of money can change that (legally). The last scenario I can think of is that you bought a plot without chanot (and probably not even N.S. 1, 2 or 3 for which ownership can be changed) and you were promised the plot will be issued a chanot in the future...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My wife is from a village in Isan. Some years back, when rubber prices were skyhigh, an expat offered to sell me a few rai of his rubber plantation. Of course, it would have been in my wifes name, as farangs cant own land. He had no title, just a scribbled note from the previous owner saying she'd sold it to him.

After asking around, my wife found out that the previous owner was telling everyone she still held a sizeable loan against the property, despite him having paid her 2 million baht cash.

Same guy also bought a block with no road access and was attempting (unsuccessfully) to get the owners in front to sell him a right of access strip of land.

Buyer beware in Thailand!

15 hours ago, jippytum said:

relies on friends to seek advice for him via social media

No he doesn't & I know enough not to 100% rely on Social Media ( I just found this unbeleivable )

He doesn't know that I'm doing this 

To me, I thought he would of known better

I just warned him & told him he better look at the Thai Law

So as stated He knows a person ( Falang ) with quite a bit of land & got to pick which patch

Was offered power & water connection

Has seen land 

Has put deposit

Said land can be in his name

Was going to start Company

Said he even got bank loan in his name ( had to show all the common things )

I TOLD HIM

Falangs can't own land

Be carefull

Company Illegal

Put in kids name - He has a house out in the same village I was in, now he rents in Korat for the week & returns to village on weekend

Conclusion 

Maybe it's a superfisees  or something

He should know better

Edited by BEVUP

This is an area I need to study, as I'm not up to date on the current status.  If he's going to 'own' then it would have to be something like a company and/or 30+30 year lease (please correct me if I'm out of date which is highly likely).

In my own situation I want to buy a house that will be in her name only and she owns it 100% no questions.  I also intend to get some other property which is outside of that and would like it to be a 'business' acquisition (outside of our relationship).  I think the latter is where your friend needs to study, as do I. 

On 8/18/2018 at 9:50 AM, scorecard said:

Foreigners owning land, except for perhaps never before heard of loopholes in the law, IMHO Thai attitudes to this subject (therefore the laws involved) will very probably never change.

Thailand is not a multi-cultural society (not saying that's good or bad) in fact 90% of Thai folks don't even know what 'multi-cultural society' really means (not their fault). What they do know (from immersion in the overall attitudes of Thai society) is 'yes you live here, but when are you going home?',  etc.

Is the attitude / law about foreigners owning land going to change? IMHO the answer is not for at least the next 50 years and maybe never.

Comments please...

Well i can remember an article in Thaivisa forum about government discussing the possibility of a farang (alien is the new word, standard term, foreigner is out of space, even used by government) owning land when buying a house up to 1 rai. Never the less i think it was already 2 years ago, guess they placed the idea on a high placed shelf.

So another 48 years to go?!