Importing your car while on retirement visa

I am coming to the end of my work contract and I would like to retire here in Thailand. What I'd like to know is can I import my UK car (Or buy another one in the UK and import that) without

having to pay import duty.

If import duty is unavoidable, there is a word used in the calculation of import duty, and the word is "Value" as in the value of the car. But what is the value of the car? Is it the price you paid for it

in the UK market, and you can demonstrate that (receipt, eBay transaction etc.) or is it the cost of the thing if you bought it  here in Thailand and if so Is it the new cost or the second hand cost?

Larger second hand cars are cheap in the UK because of fuel costs - but would be ideal here. I just thought that since I will be a new retiree maybe I'd be allowed to bring my stuff duty free.

You can go through all the post here you want and the most consistent  advice will be to not do it

Everything imported into Thailand is subject to the whims of the customs officer assigned to your shipment, and vehicles of any kind are especially attractive, since it is his or her's word on value and there is no real appeal mechanism, since you shipment is held hostage in a bonded Customs warehouse and the charges mount every day  

• Like 2

If it was at all feasible, wouldn't you expect to see a lot of retired falangs driving imported cars? A minute of research on this forum would have shown the same question has been asked many times with the same answers, don't do it, and there are no import exemptions.

Edited by giddyup

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

If it was at all feasible, wouldn't you expect to see a lot of retired falangs driving imported cars? A minute of research on this forum would have shown the same question has been asked many times with the same answers, don't do it, and there are no import exemptions.

but this one is different............

• Like 1