More staff issues ,be warned

kannot

On 8/25/2018 at 5:07 PM, mogandave said:

It’s minimum wage, he legally can’t pay them less.

They get some extras as does most anyone working for minimum.

The problem is, there is plenty of minimum wage work around that is easier than working in the hot sun.

It's the benefits--free house, bike, rice, water, electric. Did you not read the post to which I commented? See famjits #95, he said, " Pay peanuts and you'll get monkeys.  Oh, and improve your security. "  My point was it is not peanuts for the job and location.

• Like 1

It's the benefits--free house, bike, rice, water, electric. Did you not read the post to which I commented? See famjits #95, he said, " Pay peanuts and you'll get monkeys.  Oh, and improve your security. "  My point was it is not peanuts for the job and location.

What do the benefits cost, an what are the benefits worth?

Does he give them an allowance such that they can stay where they like?

Do they get to take the motorbike on holidays?

It’s not peanuts, but clearly he’s not getting the help he needs.

We never had that much difficulty attracting and retaining low skilled labor.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, mogandave said:

Oh please, you mean you think housing, transportation, utilities, and rice is nothing. 

I neither said, nor implied, nor even care if you had trouble attracting or retaining low-skilled labor.

I simply stated what you now admit; it's not peanuts.

Now you are asking me specific questions about his business; I don't even know him. As I said, I quoted him on what he said. 

Then you make an obvious statement. Of course, there must be something else wrong with the situation to make the workers keep leaving.

I thought you would have seen that since my initial post discounted the compensation package as a possible reason.  

• Like 1

Oh please, you mean you think housing, transportation, utilities, and rice is nothing. 

I neither said, nor implied, nor even care if you had trouble attracting or retaining low-skilled labor.

I simply stated what you now admit; it's not peanuts.

Now you are asking me specific questions about his business; I don't even know him. As I said, I quoted him on what he said. 

Then you make an obvious statement. Of course, there must be something else wrong with the situation to make the workers keep leaving.

I thought you would have seen that since my initial post discounted the compensation package as a possible reason.  

Oh please, how does asking what something is worth, imply it’s worth nothing?

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, poohy said:

There seems to be an understanding here that the minimum wage 300THB must be paid, in reality in the real world it isn't,apart from Homepro 7/11 Makro etc

Wifes daughter  came down to Prachuap applied for hotel job(private Thai hotel room rate 2500 plus per night) daily rate 260/280 per day.

Around here the guys would rather do nothing and drink lao cao or beer all day on money from wife family etc rather than work.

Also I am pretty sure the local farming mob around here do not pay 300THB a day maybe they get around it by coercing family members

This is clearly the real truth, but it is also true that staff do not stay.

11 hours ago, mogandave said:

so pleas e tell me what YOU are  paying and what you are   offering EXACTLY

2 hours ago, mogandave said:

Ok heres  the costs, free  house, cost 36k to have installed  delivered , free  water cost 150k for two  wells  but of course this is for all the land and is drinkable and has  been tested at a lab in BKK 5k cost, free  rice 300  a bag a month? free  bike cost us about 7k bought very cheap off a  friend  but would have been at least 15k we used to also include free  fuel for about 4  years  but dont now, yes they can take the bike away if they want because I have my own and dont need  it and dont forget its a 5  day week. Maybe 4-5  times a  year we'll take them out for a meal and Wife often brings them clothes she gets free  when tenants  move out of our  rooms and shoes.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

As has been mentioned before, unless this is income you need to survive i'd just give up, not worth the hassle IMO.

I do it as I like my palm garden I could live without the pineapples, I dont grow  them for money but i dont need to use  all the land and its the easiest crop to take care of requiring the least amount of work, I just dont want a  jungle on the rest of the land...................giving up's  for  pussies.

All those suggesting its the salary or something else have  failed to mention a given salary????????? why is that?

Edited by kannot
  • Like 1

On 8/23/2018 at 5:17 PM, moontang said:

I will bet that of the 1000:complaints on TVF about Thai employees, not a single one of them ran a National Credit Bureau report on a single prospective employee.  

why would one run a credit report on a prospective employee? Whats the purpose of this? Its solely for applying for finance?

4 hours ago, mogandave said:

Well, then how much do you think your opinion impresses me? You may continue this empty prattle by yourself.

1 hour ago, davidst01 said:

why would one run a credit report on a prospective employee? Whats the purpose of this? Its solely for applying for finance?

it is a tool for looking at someone's background.  I had to agree to one for a school district job, once.  The Superintendent was National Superintendent of the Year, and they were the best paying district in the state.

Well, then how much do you think your opinion impresses me? You may continue this empty prattle by yourself.

I’m not trying to impress anyone, much less someone I never met.

In any event, you make something up, pretend I said it, and then run away when you get called on.

Prattle on indeed.

7 hours ago, kannot said:

so pleas e tell me what YOU are  paying and what you are   offering EXACTLY

I retired earlier this year, so this is off the top of my head, but for unskilled factory workers, six-day work week in Kabinburi, Prachinburi:

Base salary: 300/daily rate, or whatever the current minimum is. After 90 days 30 day per month.

Attendance/production bonus: 1,200/month

Perfect attendance bonus: 2,000/year

Annual bonus: 1 month base pay minimum

Annual safety bonus: 0-1 month base pay

Annual shipments bonus: 0-1 month base pay

Annual margin bonus: 0-1 month base pay

Meal allowance: 40/day (double when overtime is worked)

Transportation allowance: 65/day

Welding bonus: 100/day (double when overtime is worked)

2nd Shift bonus: 50/day

16 paid holidays per years

5 paid vacation days first year, 10 after 5 years, 15 after 10 years

Annual merit increases

Uniform shirt: 1/month

Uniform jacket: 1/year

Safety shows: 2 pair/year

Private medical

Social Security

Providence Fund

Company sponsored production parties: 1/month when targets met

Company sponsored sport day: 1/year

Company sponsored family traveling day: 1/year

Company sponsored New Year’s party: 1/year

I’m sure I missed something.

7 hours ago, kannot said:

Ok heres  the costs, free  house, cost 36k to have installed  delivered , free  water cost 150k for two  wells  but of course this is for all the land and is drinkable and has  been tested at a lab in BKK 5k cost, free  rice 300  a bag a month? free  bike cost us about 7k bought very cheap off a  friend  but would have been at least 15k we used to also include free  fuel for about 4  years  but dont now, yes they can take the bike away if they want because I have my own and dont need  it and dont forget its a 5  day week. Maybe 4-5  times a  year we'll take them out for a meal and Wife often brings them clothes she gets free  when tenants  move out of our  rooms and shoes.

One bike for two people?

One room for two people?

I think the problem may be that you're limiting your pool of labor to couples that have no place to stay and not transportation. Pretty small group to draw from.

What can you rent the room for?

Were it me, I'd try getting people that have homes and transportation, pay a little more per day, have a monthly bonus when they don't moss more than a couple days, provide a nice lunch every day and free coffee all day.

Quit letting them draw all their money every day, limit them to 700 a week so they have something at the end of the  month.

Let them buy their own rice.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/24/2018 at 12:16 PM, kannot said:

no half  correct I am installing another camera.

New Camera  installed ( 5  total) as  well as new  staff, new  staff seem fine, lets  see how  long they can do Pool cam below.

pondcam.jpg

pondcam2.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/27/2018 at 3:43 PM, mogandave said:

One bike for two people?

One room for two people?

I think the problem may be that you're limiting your pool of labor to couples that have no place to stay and not transportation. Pretty small group to draw from.

What can you rent the room for?

Were it me, I'd try getting people that have homes and transportation, pay a little more per day, have a monthly bonus when they don't moss more than a couple days, provide a nice lunch every day and free coffee all day.

Quit letting them draw all their money every day, limit them to 700 a week so they have something at the end of the  month.

Let them buy their own rice.

The latest have their own bike and use our s  occasionally.

On 8/27/2018 at 3:31 PM, mogandave said:

I retired earlier this year, so this is off the top of my head, but for unskilled factory workers, six-day work week in Kabinburi, Prachinburi:

Base salary: 300/daily rate, or whatever the current minimum is. After 90 days 30 day per month.

Attendance/production bonus: 1,200/month

Perfect attendance bonus: 2,000/year

Annual bonus: 1 month base pay minimum

Annual safety bonus: 0-1 month base pay

Annual shipments bonus: 0-1 month base pay

Annual margin bonus: 0-1 month base pay

Meal allowance: 40/day (double when overtime is worked)

Transportation allowance: 65/day

Welding bonus: 100/day (double when overtime is worked)

2nd Shift bonus: 50/day

16 paid holidays per years

5 paid vacation days first year, 10 after 5 years, 15 after 10 years

Annual merit increases

Uniform shirt: 1/month

Uniform jacket: 1/year

Safety shows: 2 pair/year

Private medical

Social Security

Providence Fund

Company sponsored production parties: 1/month when targets met

Company sponsored sport day: 1/year

Company sponsored family traveling day: 1/year

Company sponsored New Year’s party: 1/year

I’m sure I missed something.

We actually provide most of that.

In the cities, there is some fear of the law, in the countryside with a farang, forget it. Men are going to take you for everything they can and split.

Try hiring women with children from the local community. People who you literally know where they and their parents live. And then treat them like family. That is your only hope.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mogandave said:

They get Uniforms, Social Security, Providence Fund and Private Medical?

We buy them work clothes including MANY pairs of shoes and  boots ie wellies, gloves,  hats ,trousers etc, we  will take them to the hospital and pay for any drugs and the cost to see a doctor if they arent in the 30 baht scheme.

WE dont want people who dont want to live at the land so the  house part is not negotiable and most come from far away and this has never  been an issue.

Renting by us out in the  boonies is about 1500+ a  month for a  1  room house

As mentioned its a 5 day week 99% of work places  want 6 days, you are  talking about larger companies  for provident and social security, no one  doing this sort of work  for a private employee  will get or expect this.

We pay way over your 300 a  day its  more like 450 + the perks.

I personally  think we provide them with plenty.

Edited by kannot

We buy them work clothes including MANY pairs of shoes and  boots ie wellies, gloves,  hats ,trousers etc, we  will take them to the hospital and pay for any drugs and the cost to see a doctor if they arent in the 30 baht scheme.
WE dont want people who dont want to live at the land so the  house part is not negotiable and most come from far away and this has never  been an issue.
Renting by us out in the  boonies is about 1500+ a  month for a  1  room house
As mentioned its a 5 day week 99% of work places  want 6 days, you are  talking about larger companies  for provident and social security, no one  doing this sort of work  for a private employee  will get or expect this.
We pay way over your 300 a  day its  more like 450 + the perks.
I personally  think we provide them with plenty.

A simple no, we are not providing those things would do. No point in getting defensive.

The pool of potential employees you are trying to draw from seems to be very small.

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

A simple no, we are not providing those things would do. No point in getting defensive.

The pool of potential employees you are trying to draw from seems to be very small.

No would be incorrect. the  pool is large and mostly lazy.

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

If you already knew, why’d you ask?

Pretty obvious why, to see what others have tried or seen work, and from what Ive mentioned its not only us finding it hard to find anyone, local Thai business owners have said the same.

If I dont agree with you is that "defensive" I dont think so.

Edited by kannot

4 hours ago, SuperTed said:

In the cities, there is some fear of the law, in the countryside with a farang, forget it. Men are going to take you for everything they can and split.

Try hiring women with children from the local community. People who you literally know where they and their parents live. And then treat them like family. That is your only hope.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

The latest have an 8 year old daughter......her birthday last week..................we provided the cake 

20180914_183126-web.jpg