New terminal at Suvarnabhumi - netizens suspect it was inspired by Japan

webfact

10 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Have you never seen the many amazing wooden structures in Thailand?  They have incredible skills, beautiful designs, and they have been building with wood for centuries.  Don't be ignorant.

I have seen their work. There is some impressive work, but, a far larger percentage is sloppy if you look closely enough. 

Thais easily overlook imperfections and so don't care about it. They are "good enough" people. They can go 90% of the way, but then give up at the end. 

Have you ever looked really closely at anything done by Thais? I mean, REALLY closely? Even in "luxury" structures and temples and places of which Thais are proud, if you look carefully at the detailing it is TERRIBLE AND EMBARRASSING. 

Japanese are the opposite. They are perfectionists. No reasonable person can equate Japanese work and Thai work. Japanese are far better at almost everything, not because of superior intelligence but because of superior culture. 

Edited by Fex Bluse
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Might have been the original design for the airport terminal completed in 2006.

The standard 30% disappeared from the airport budget under the PM Thaksin which explains

why the current airport terminal is so tacky  with lack of seating alot of which appeared to be made out of scrap metal.

1 hour ago, Fex Bluse said:

Japanese are the opposite. They are perfectionists. No reasonable person can equate Japanese work and Thai work. Japanese are far better at almost everything, not because of superior intelligence but because of superior culture. 

Absolutely plus the fact that the Japanese abide to standards and building codes and their standards and codes are very comprehensive. Here is just the opposite. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Design may look awesome but does Thailand has the technicians and craftsmen to do wooden structure. Japan has a complete ecosystem for wood design and construction with good standards and compliance. Thailand does not.   

From the article in the OP.

On 8/24/2018 at 5:13 AM, webfact said:

The design is made to look like trees with spreading upper branches reaching high into the terminal.

Note it will "look like trees" and no mention of any wood being involved. Highly unlikely as well due to the sheer size of this planned plagiarism construction.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

Absolutely plus the fact that the Japanese abide to standards and building codes and their standards and codes are very comprehensive. Here is just the opposite. 

Japan is on the Pacific Rim, on the 'ring of fire' so the building codes are more comprehensive to accommodate that.

Thailand isn't.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Japan is on the Pacific Rim, on the 'ring of fire' so the building codes are more comprehensive to accommodate that.

Thailand isn't.

Thailand gets floods every year, so surely their flood defences are world class and their building codes around flooding impeccable. 

Just being silly. We all know the truth. I actually read somewhere that it is an important part of Thai culture to "smooth over defects" or ignore imperfections. I'll see if I can find it. 

Edited by Fex Bluse
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

So much you don’t know about standards and building codes. Pity. 

And you of course are fully conversant with both Japan and Thailand's building codes. I'm so happy for you.

1 hour ago, Fex Bluse said:

Thailand gets floods every year, so surely their flood defences are world class and their building codes around flooding impeccable. 

Just being silly. We all know the truth. I actually read somewhere that it is an important part of Thai culture to "smooth over defects" or ignore imperfections. I'll see if I can find it. 

Yes, silly.

But it's such an irresistibly easy bash isn't it?

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

And you of course are fully conversant with both Japan and Thailand's building codes. I'm so happy for you.

Yes I very familiar especially standards and codes relating to wood. Covered Japan extensively for more than 10 years and Asia Pacific 25 years. Sat in Standard Writing Committees. Any more questions?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Yes I very familiar especially standards and codes relating to wood. Covered Japan extensively for more than 10 years and Asia Pacific 25 years. Sat in Standard Writing Committees. Any more questions?

Oh... you're 'familiar' with it and you've 'covered' it extensively and wrote up a lot of the rules.

OK, so you've got Japanese wood down pat. Still doesn't lend you any empirical knowledge of actual construction in either Japan or Thailand.

PS. The edifice in question won't be made of wood.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Yes, silly.

But it's such an irresistibly easy bash isn't it?

If you consider truth a bash, that's your choice. 

14 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

If you consider truth a bash, that's your choice. 

Truth?

21 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

... I actually read somewhere that it is an important part of Thai culture to "smooth over defects" or ignore imperfections. I'll see if I can find it. 

Still waiting BTW.

• Haha 1