New terminal at Suvarnabhumi - netizens suspect it was inspired by Japan

webfact

New terminal at Suvarnabhumi - netizens suspect it was inspired by Japan

10pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Sanook reported that many Thai netizens were conjecturing that the design for the new Terminal Two at Bangkok's main airport is inspired by a Japanese museum.

It bears a strong resemblance to the architecture of the Yusuhara Wooden Bridge Museum in southern Japan, they said.

The design is a join collaboration of Thai architect Duangrit Bunnag and Japanese colleague Nikken Sekkei.

Duangrit has gone online to say that the design work is all his own. Nikken helped with logistical matters.

The design is made to look like trees with spreading upper branches reaching high into the terminal.

Sanook reported that people liked the design and said it was a good example of "Eastern Architecture".

But many wondered if it would fit in with the architecture of the surroundings exemplified by the present Suvrnabhumi terminal.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-08-24

"The design is a join collaboration of Thai architect Duangrit Bunnag and Japanese colleague Nikken Sekkei"

Nikken Sekkei took the drawings of the new terminal to a meeting. Duangrit Bunnag took them home. Thai Style collaboration

As I have a hammer, I will just ask two oblique questions. Does it leak? Does it cost an arm and a leg to run? Much as I enjoy art for its own sake, I truly reckon all architects would be well-advised to get some real grounding in hands-on construction. Not just here either.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Duangrit has gone online to say that the design work is all his own. Nikken helped with logistical matters.

If there is ever a dictionary definition of that most mystical of terms, “thainess”, these words will be included as an example of what it is. 

2 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Design may look awesome but does Thailand has the technicians and craftsmen to do wooden structure. Japan has a complete ecosystem for wood design and construction with good standards and compliance. Thailand does not.   

I have builders that have great design, structural and wood skills, the work they are doing for me is second to none 

1535094285038.jpg

1535094290271.jpg

4 minutes ago, Netease said:

I have builders that have great design, structural and wood skills, the work they are doing for me is second to none 

1535094285038.jpg

1535094290271.jpg

With due respect, building a domestic wooden ceiling is far cry from constructing a wooden artistic piece of art that conform to standards in an international airport. 

10 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

That would scare me during termite season unless treated. 

Most wood building materials in Thailand is either non treated or poorly treated. The standards in Japan for wood use in buildings are strictly conformed to JIS or JAS and building codes. Not here and you have reasons to be scared. 

11 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Most wood building materials in Thailand is either non treated or poorly treated. The standards in Japan for wood use in buildings are strictly conformed to JIS or JAS and building codes. Not here and you have reasons to be scared. 

Every year I lose something from them in Chiang Mai. First rains a month or two before the rainy season I think. Tis quite amazing to see them swarm at every light for miles and miles and miles up here. 

Where it says it will be wood in the terminal construction?
It maybe looks like this but I can't imagine that international building standards allow flammable material such as wood in the construction of an airport terminal.

27 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Every year I lose something from them in Chiang Mai. First rains a month or two before the rainy season I think. Tis quite amazing to see them swarm at every light for miles and miles and miles up here. 

Japanese or termites?

26 minutes ago, CLW said:

Where it says it will be wood in the terminal construction?
It maybe looks like this but I can't imagine that international building standards allow flammable material such as wood in the construction of an airport terminal.

If conformed to building codes “spread of flame”, wood can be used. Same as carpet or upholstery in planes. Need conformance to specific standards and codes. 

8 hours ago, Dave67 said:

"The design is a join collaboration of Thai architect Duangrit Bunnag and Japanese colleague Nikken Sekkei"

Nikken Sekkei took the drawings of the new terminal to a meeting. Duangrit Bunnag took them home. Thai Style collaboration

funny

11 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Design may look awesome but does Thailand has the technicians and craftsmen to do wooden structure. Japan has a complete ecosystem for wood design and construction with good standards and compliance. Thailand does not.   

Have you never seen the many amazing wooden structures in Thailand?  They have incredible skills, beautiful designs, and they have been building with wood for centuries.  Don't be ignorant.

Archived