Thailand - Not for me

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I find especially all those tourists interesting who saw something on the internet or saw a video somewhere back home and who think they are now the Thailand experts. 

You mean, like long term expats who live in 30sqm on nutz condos and never crossed into Bangkok's nether regions outside a BTS line?

Not to mention the only Thai words they managed to learn are farang ting tong and writing 555 on internet forums?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

Actually a Thai red bus driver at a dinner he drove us to said only loser farang come to Thailand because they are losers in their own country.

Sure, and a songthaew driver... he considers himself a winner? Maybe he is but anyone who talks in absolutes is going to be incorrect at least to some %% - - and really, not worth quoting... stick with Lao Tzu... or Ben Franklin

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

So lets see..Sunday? OK, grab a 100B  ($3) breakfast and my camera. Walk to Skytrain. For $1, go to....hmmm......ok lets just schmooze...Chatuchak! Take pics of stuff. Have a lunch for say 200B ($6)...or a snack! Jump back on train for another $1 head over to.....hmmm I know, its time to wierdo watch! Beer at  Hillary!  Ill drop $5 here! Then a dinner...maybe walk (yes...walk) somewhere and eat dinner for maybe $5! Take pics of food. Jump on BTS, go home, read newspapers about blizzards, snooze, repeat. Hey I just filled my day....for about $20. I could burn that in gas in the USA....

^^^^ That

I lived in Thailand for years & now back in a nice place in the west but I miss that ^^^

It is interesting & inexpensive so we do go back 3 months a year

Just a note to my fellow Floridian: The main reason I am in Thailand is not financial but because by living in Thailand I do not have to put up with judgmental people on a near daily basis as I would if I lived in Florida as you amply demonstrate.

• Like 2

Sometimes i wish i had the option to leave,but i don't,could not imagine returning to the Uk after 22 years away, going back to Aussie would be financial suicide as my ex would be all over me for money plus the prices mate of mine just came back A$ 48 for a pack of smokes. Tried the Philippines was okay but much less safe,i too have health issue's but reckon i am sort of stuck here.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

Actually a Thai red bus driver at a dinner he drove us to said only loser farang come to Thailand because they are losers in their own country.

That is of course what the Thai media with 'approval' pumps into the populace. I have to believe the media spewing this out nationwide is not good for Tourism from farang countries. It could be a factor in the drop in tourism form the west.

However TAT never seems to investigates this, Go Figure    :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

Sure, and a songthaew driver... he considers himself a winner? Maybe he is but anyone who talks in absolutes is going to be incorrect at least to some %% - - and really, not worth quoting... stick with Lao Tzu... or Ben Franklin

Of course not.

Edited by Dazinoz
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

I hear complaints by long time expats in Thailand that they cannot buy land in Thailand.

I don't see why they would want to buy land personally whether they have a Thai wife/partner or no-one,  you can get a 30 year least on land if you want. 

5 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Appreciate your comments, but did you have to attach his whole rant, it takes up half a page.

Your comment is noted. I contemplated how to do this as I really didn't want to attach that BS. Sometimes I read a comment and if the "whole rant" isn't there, it's hard to relate to. Further suggestion welcome.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, neeray said:

Your comment is noted. I contemplated how to do this as I really didn't want to attach that BS. Sometimes I read a comment and if the "whole rant" isn't there, it's hard to relate to. Further suggestion welcome.

You just run your cursor over the text you don't want and hit delete or the space bar.

2 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

$12,500 dollars Florida property tax if you own a house that is worth over US $1,000,000.

$450,000 house the property tax is around $4,000 in gated community. 

PS My home insurance is $1800 so once again $8,800 dollars you must be in a million + home

yawn... :coffee1:  we sold our home 14 years ago for $635k (Volusia County, water front) and i estimate its present value around $1mil.

23 hours ago, Hummin said:

Respect your choice!

Im not sure I will stick around here in Thailand in 10 years, not even 5, but I try, as I see the adventages it gives me as so long. I have other options and really do not feel stuck yet. But, yes, clean air, cold air, snow, mountains, skiing, clean water, fresh cold water seafood, cheap wine, bread, and so much more as good clean public toilets with quality paper inside and soap. 

Enjoy ?

Public toilets? Try walking around in any Canadian city while needing a washroom.

There are very few public toilets. Non existent. coffee shops and restaurants want you to buy something first. Here any temple or coffee shop has toilets to use. Petrol stations in Canada you have to beg someone for a key, here they're open. I haven't used toilet paper since discovering the bum gun.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JLCrab said:

Just a note to my fellow Floridian: The main reason I am in Thailand is not financial but because by living in Thailand I do not have to put up with judgmental people on a near daily basis as I would if I lived in Florida as you amply demonstrate.

that's not a fair assessment JLC. we lived in Florida nearly 15 years and, although being foreigners, never had a problem with any locals. extremely friendly and helpful neighbours and polite people whereever we went. we might be still living in Florida if sept 11 had not happened and were not told a couple of years later by immigration officers "owning a home in the Yewnighted States and paying federal income tax is not a valid reason to enter the country." my wife still craves for Florida (or anywhere in the U.S.).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

You mean, like long term expats who live in 30sqm on nutz condos and never crossed into Bangkok's nether regions outside a BTS line?

Not to mention the only Thai words they managed to learn are farang ting tong and writing 555 on internet forums?

Well I am a long term expat who lives an a very small piece of land in rural Khampaeng Phet. It belongs to my wife as does the tiny house we live in with our son.

Last time I looked the land was 15 rai and the house was about 170 sq/mt. 

True I cannot speak that much Thai due to partial deafness and tone deafness and AFAIR I try not to post 555 posts on internet forums. I leave that to other people such as yourself for instance.

• Like 1