Getting ripped off in Thailand

cat handler

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

Bill padding is the norm in Jomtien and Pattaya. Pay as you go they even try charging for 2. Ask prices first. No wonder the bars are empty. 

It certainly is not the norm in Pattaya or Jomtien. It's happened to me once  in 15 years - in WS and the service girl got fired. The main problem is Farang not paying up or underestimating how much booze they have ordered. You don't need to pay as you go along. Just let the staff see you check you bill when it arrives 

• Like 1

LOL. The thread title should be changed to Adventures with Low Quality Tourists.

OP should consider  visiting better quality establishments and people if e doesn't want these problems. I can't wait for the next instalment in the series when he reports on discovering that there was kraft paper inside his 999 baht  "tailor made" suit.

• Haha 1

I think you need to avoid clip joints, you will find them in every major city around the world, so not exclusive to Thailand. Everybody gets ripped off to a greater or lesser extent when they travel overseas, sometimes you don’t even know it has happened. I just try to do my research about the obvious scams ... taxi from the airport, bars, tourist haunts, etc.

As for Thailand I just try to avoid places like karaoke bars, tourist traps, foreigner pricing, and stick to local brews (not that I drink much). It tends to minimise the damage. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

LOL. The thread title should be changed to Adventures with Low Quality Tourists.

OP should consider  visiting better quality establishments and people if e doesn't want these problems. I can't wait for the next instalment in the series when he reports on discovering that there was kraft paper inside his 999 baht  "tailor made" suit.

Lol ... complain about the price of yabba or the high price of jet ski repair or losses from illegal gambling. 

3 hours ago, The manic said:

When I was there Autumn 2017 the police and army closed the bars around 11pm and we gathered secretly in a lock up with the shutters closed.

You must be mistaken , its been midnight closing since curfews were lifted in 2014 .

Before that bars were open until the last person left

You were probably better off posting this in the Chiang mai forum
By posting it in this forum you only get guys such as Johnny the disability pensioner from Sydney posting negative replies because he has nothing to do in his council flat

As opposed to the Chiang Mai protection team telling everyone what an exciting place it is when it’s dull as dishwater.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

You were probably better off posting this in the Chiang mai forum

By posting it in this forum you only get guys such as Johnny the disability pensioner from Sydney posting negative replies because he has nothing to do in his council flat

Postman Pat from Perth!

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

You must be mistaken , its been midnight closing since curfews were lifted in 2014 .

Before that bars were open until the last person left

I'll check with my Pal.  Maybe Loy Kratong..Maybe the year or mourning. Either way after 11pm CM seemed like a city under occupation.  Anyway midnight is far too early for me. When I was there in 1990 it seemed more fun.

1 minute ago, The manic said:

I'll check with my Pal.  Maybe Loy Kratong..Maybe the year or mourning. Either way after 11pm CM seemed like a city under occupation.  Anyway midnight is far too early for me. When I was there in 1990 it seemed more fun.

Yes , Chiang mai doesnt want attract the drink all nighters until the sun comes up and sleep all dayer crowd , better they stay in Pattaya

59 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Yes , Chiang mai doesnt want attract the drink all nighters until the sun comes up and sleep all dayer crowd , better they stay in Pattaya

I doubt it is a municipal decision, certainly not from a democratically elected local government. I suspect you are projecting your own feelings about Pattaya. I am certain you do not speak for the people of Chiang Mai. At any level, at any CM council meeting- is there a record of Pattaya ever being discussed? I reiterate: Pattaya's freedom is the envy of every local government in Thailand because it creates massive wealth and massive employment. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cat handler said:

Thats the norm in Thailand, buy 1 lady a drink and all of a sudden all her friends have drinks in their hands, I’m on to that scam so always check only one lady drink goes into the cup. This however was downright attempted theft.

What I don't understand is why anybody frequents these places.

Plenty of other things to do in life.

14 minutes ago, scorecard said:

What I don't understand is why anybody frequents these places.

Plenty of other things to do in life.

The naive poster gives a very misleading impression and stretches the concept of ripp off. He only has to buy the drinks for the people he chooses. If he can't say no..that is not a rip off just him not knowing the game. A fool and his money are soon parted. The art off The game is to have fun and not get bitter. If he is a tight fisted budget back packer type then go go bars might be beyond his means. But to answer your question about why people go to such places: sometimes they are great fun and you end up with a great girl for a few hours, the night, for a few weeks,  for years. But if you self victimised as a loser who gets ripped off then that is what you will be. It will define your experience. 

• Like 1

I rarely go out but on the occasions I have in the past year almost everytime there has been a problem with the bill beIng padded or incorrect  change. A few weeks ago was the last time,  my friend  specifically asked how much a drink was,  we sat down,  low and behold the bin came at a higher  price.  I appreciate mistakes can be made but it's not mistakes it's let's just get extra for nothing. Times are hard in the entertainment business.

Another ignorant visitor with a story of many flaws which does not make sense. The national closing time is 12 midnight, but many places extend that to 2, 3 or 4 am. Just Chiang Mai enforces that with quite some rigor, closing bars if they serve a drink after midnight and get caught. Suggest you give CM a miss, us locals will be quite happy with that.

• Like 1

I think they used to call these places ‘clip joints’ - not sure if that term is used so much these days . 

Being charged thousands for cheap Champagne etc - if you did not pay- baseball bats!

So if you choose to spend your time drinking and exploiting the poor vulnerable local population in the underbelly of bars and sex workers - be prepared to be ripped off - good-  a bit of payback .

• Like 1

OP, this kind of thing happens in numerous other places not just thailand. you and your friends allowed yourselves to become targets by making all the newbie mistakes. there wouldn't be scammers if there is no one to scam. they practically smelled you lot a mile away. consider yourselves lucky to leave that place unharmed. that 18k you refused to pay could have landed you in a hospital or a temple. people have been murdered for far less money.

After the bars closed around 2 my mates wanjted more and to get a couple of ladies so I tagged along, the Tuk Tuk Driver said he knew where to get some so more drinks and girls so we let him take the lead.

That was your first mistake. I'm sure Somchai got a commission.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

I have a rather tatty secondhand ocean liner with an illustrious history for sale, would you be interested at all?

Former owners "Titanic Cruises of Thailand"?

BTW I have been coming to Thailand at least 3 times a year for 10 years, but still haven't managed to get laid and have a couple of drinks for less than 20,000 Thb a night. Am I doing something wrong?

:cheesy:

Edited by Mario666