Getting ripped off in Thailand

cat handler

13 hours ago, lanng khao said:

Count yourself lucky, at least you got the little fella wet when you got back the hotel, more than the other 2 did..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

You may be giving him more credit than he deserves.

• Like 1

?

Regarding the CM story, I would say firstly considering you live here I would always be wary of anywhere a tuk tuk driver wants to take me at 2am. Secondly, if it seems a suspicious place then surely you inquire about the prices of top shelf stuff beforehand. If not, get a beer or a mixer. 

Seems you / your friends have been done for being so naive and your mate probably showing off to the teeraks in there that he can afford a bottle from the top shelf. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

There are supposed to be some legit karaoke places in CM - but damned if I'd venture out into any based on all the horror stories consistently coming to the fore about this year after year....

I will never go to another Karoke , I got drugged and charged 36 shots , I only remember 2 shots of tequila, 11,000 b, two girls we were with , were found in Ladies toilet passed out after 2 shots each, They are Scams and meant to be avoided

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DGS1244 said:

Another ignorant visitor with a story of many flaws which does not make sense. The national closing time is 12 midnight, but many places extend that to 2, 3 or 4 am. Just Chiang Mai enforces that with quite some rigor, closing bars if they serve a drink after midnight and get caught. Suggest you give CM a miss, us locals will be quite happy with that.

A local? You are not Thai and do not speak for Thai people in CM. The rules are enforced by an unelected military force and police. The Thais in CM are miserable 

2 hours ago, Mangkhut said:

Well known scam in Chiang Mai. Should have done your homework mate. Not that I support this karaokescumbagclubs, they should have been burned down to the ground each and everyone of them.

But then again - indulging with prostitutes and alcohol can be a mean mix. 

Sex workers and booze usually go hand in hand. You are giving a moral judgement reflecting your own prejudices not an accurate assessment. 

4 minutes ago, The manic said:

Sex workers and booze usually go hand in hand. You are giving a moral judgement reflecting your own prejudices not an accurate assessment. 

'Sex workers and booze go hand in hand' I take your word on it as you appear to be extreemly well versed in this highly regarded occupation.

15 hours ago, cat handler said:

Can you you try writing that in English, and since when was it illegal to drink after 2am? I’m guessing you’re related to the rip off filth in Chang Mai if you think a gill of 18’000 Baht is “a bit high”, I can just imaging you picking you’re nose and having a feast while you wrote that.

Sp you try and have a go at the poster's english and write that.

Priceless!

He was spot on what he said.

Besides try going drinking in oz or uk after 2 am with 5 people and see what you get for $250/$300.

You and your mates seem really interesting fun people

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, The manic said:

A local? You are not Thai and do not speak for Thai people in CM. The rules are enforced by an unelected military force and police. The Thais in CM are miserable 

If someone has lived in CM for a while they are deemed a local. Stop projecting racial overtones and cease the political granstanding.

3 minutes ago, The manic said:

It appears that you condoning people being drugged and scammed in Karaokes and charging it off as a risk of going to a lady bar, then deflect the statement as a moral judgement based on some prior prejudice.   This simply is not the chase with CM Karaokes as this scam has played out for years and is well documented. Stating a fact is hardly a moral judgement. 

15 hours ago, cat handler said:

Can you you try writing that in English, and since when was it illegal to drink after 2am? I’m guessing you’re related to the rip off filth in Chang Mai if you think a gill of 18’000 Baht is “a bit high”, I can just imaging you picking you’re nose and having a feast while you wrote that.

Look like reasonable English to me. By the way, what's the 'gill' of Bht 18000, and it should be YOUR nose?

From all of the stories I have heard, no fareng should EVER go to any Karaoke bar in Thailand, unless they are accompanied by a Thai, who is a trusted friend. Never. Ever. These stories are rampant. These are clip joints. Often, when you refuse to pay the stated amount it can get very ugly. Not worth it. Even when the cops get involved, you still get clipped. Do not patronize these filthy scum joints. Unless you know the place, and/or know the owner, best to avoid. Going to a random joint like this, at 2am, on the advice of a taxi driver? A recipe for disaster, and naivety at it's zenith. 

There is nothing wrong with Chiang Mai. It is a great town. But never pick random spots like that.

Edited by spidermike007

18 minutes ago, SpeakeasyThai said:

'Sex workers and booze go hand in hand' I take your word on it as you appear to be extreemly well versed in this highly regarded occupation.

So what? You should try it yourself and speak with more authority on the subject. There are many ocupations worse than sex work. Being a smug moralist is one such occupation.

9 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

From all of the stories I have heard, no fareng should EVER go to any Karaoke bar in Thailand, unless they are accompanied by a Thai, who is a trusted friend. Never. Ever. These stories are rampant. These are clip joints. Often, when you refuse to pay the stated amount it can get very ugly. Not worth it. Even when the cops get involved, you still get clipped. Do not patronize these filthy scum joints. Unless you know the place, and/or know the owner, best to avoid. Going to a random joint like this, at 2am, on the advice of a taxi driver? A recipe for disaster, and naivety at it's zenith. 

There is nothing wrong with Chiang Mai. It is a great town. But never pick random spots like that.

CM is a dump ...end of.

19 minutes ago, NaamGin said:

It appears that you condoning people being drugged and scammed in Karaokes and charging it off as a risk of going to a lady bar, then deflect the statement as a moral judgement based on some prior prejudice.   This simply is not the chase with CM Karaokes as this scam has played out for years and is well documented. Stating a fact is hardly a moral judgement. 

99% of people who consort with sex workers while drinking do NOT get drugged and ripped off. You are wrong. It is not a fact. It is your delusion and sanctimony. A silly false generalisation.

Edited by The manic

4 hours ago, peterb17 said:

I think they used to call these places ‘clip joints’ - not sure if that term is used so much these days . 

Being charged thousands for cheap Champagne etc - if you did not pay- baseball bats!

So if you choose to spend your time drinking and exploiting the poor vulnerable local population in the underbelly of bars and sex workers - be prepared to be ripped off - good-  a bit of payback .

Anybody who thinks Thai bar girls are vunerable is deluded. Nor are they in the habit of ripping people off. Its rare.

3 minutes ago, The manic said:

Anybody who thinks Thai bar girls are vunerable is deluded. Nor are they in the habit of ripping people off. Its rare.

Well, no rarer than any other type of woman ripping a man off.

They nearly all would like a free house, child maintenance and alimony if they can get them.

Edited by BritManToo

6 minutes ago, The manic said:

CM is a dump ...end of.

And Pattaya is beautiful , clean sea , walks along the beach at night , nice family orientated bars .

High class people from all over the World visit Pattaya to sample such delights

7 minutes ago, The manic said:

99% of people who consort with sex workers while drinking do NOT get drugged and ripped off. You are wrong. It is not a fact. It is your delusion and sanctimony. A silly false generalisation.

I am not talking about the entire bar industry in Thailand, I am talking about the propensity for foreigners to get scammed in karaoke bars in CM, which is the topic of the thread after all. You can generalize and deflect by attacking all you like, you, are, simply, wrong. 

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Well, no rarer than any other type of woman ripping a man off.

They nearly all would like a free house, child maintenance and alimony if they can get them.

That is not the kind of ripp off under discussion.  

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

And Pattaya is beautiful , clean sea , walks along the beach at night , nice family orientated bars .

Thank goodness is not like you describe.  Why do you think people want to live in a tedious, anodyne family friendly resort going for walks by the sea? Millions don't. Not everybody shares your tame views .

3 minutes ago, NaamGin said:

I am not talking about the entire bar industry in Thailand, I am talking about the propensity for foreigners to get scammed in karaoke bars in CM, which is the topic of the thread after all. You can generalize and deflect by attacking all you like, you, are, simply, wrong. 

Actually you were referencing the night life industry in general by your condemnation of sex workers and drinkers. Read what you wrote.

3 minutes ago, HerbalEd said:

Anybody who lets a tuk-tuk driver take him to a karaoke bar in Thailand at 2:00am and then whines because he got ripped off is either a newbie or dense. .

Indeed. And then writes about as if it's something we are not aware of or is the OP asking for sympathy?

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Frankly- I am amazed at the number of negative remarks directed at the OP-  he made a mistake and got ripped off-  he had no idea that CM is notorious for rip off Karaoke places.  Posters chastise him for going out drinking after hours and cavorting with ladies of the night.Guess what?  Thailand is famous for after hour places and 'entertainment'  I didn't realize that people had to be in bed by 11 PM after a night of bridge or watching A bridge on the River Kwai.  People out breaking the law in Thailand -looking for alcohol and prostitutes- Good Lord- what is the World coming to?  Give me a break. While i don't drink much anymore or monger as I have a family- some  people do and that is their business.  Nobody likes ripoffs whether it is after hour bars or faulty over priced computers.

Both Pattaya and CM- IMHO- are places to avoid.  neither are fun or have any real exotic flavor about them.  Pollution is horrid and  both places are over run with tourists and expats.  You can have both but don't try to sell the wonder of these places to people like myself who have been here for decades and know better.  Thailand does have some great places left to see and great people- find them if you can.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

People out breaking the law in Thailand -looking for alcohol and prostitutes- Good Lord- what is the World coming to?

Both Pattaya and CM- IMHO- are places to avoid. 

Most people have more sense than to allow a tuk-tuk driver to select their bars and brothels.

Don't buy drugs from tuk-tuk drivers either, similar game.

I like Pattaya, and Chiang Mai, and Hua Hin (my favourite places) in Thailand.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

I agree you were ripped off and have the right to be pissed and vent.  Glad you shared your experience. 

Similar thing happened to me in 1980 in Dallas Texas. Went to a bar ordered a bottle of cheap champagne that you could buy for 5 dollars in liquor store. Bill was 275 USA dollars and two girls asked me a tip. Learned a 270 dollar lesson that night and now in any bar anywhere in the world I ask for prices.  Some friends look at me like I am cheap asking prices but can’t tell you how many places I have left once I learned they were a rip off bar. Including LK Metro in Pattaya which is surrounded by cheap drink bars and telling mamasaans that a girl’s whiskey and coke is one girls drink not two.  Some like to say you ordered the girl a whiskey and a coke making it two drinks. 

You got unlucky. Don’t blame it on CM or Thailand. If you guys got out paying 3,000 baht on an 18,000 baht bill you did well and live and learn. Most of us have made this type of rip  off mistake in our life.