Getting ripped off in Thailand

cat handler

Is quite easy to tell the difference between genuine karaoke places and other establishments that are just fronts for brothels 

Not if you’ve never been in one.

Incidentally, there are plenty of karaoke joints out in the county that look like, but are not fronts for brothels, and some that look like they are not that actually are.

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

If you never go in anywhere, how do you learn where to go?

That is a bizarre statement. Bizarre to the point where one does not even know where to do with it. He was making a point about clip joints, of which there are thousands here. The answer if, you never, ever go into a karaoke place without knowing the spot, or being accompanied by a Thai who knows the spot. Otherwise, you are just asking to be ripped off. 

• Like 1

That is a bizarre statement. Bizarre to the point where one does not even know where to do with it. He was making a point about clip joints, of which there are thousands here. The answer if, you never, ever go into a karaoke place without knowing the spot, or being accompanied by a Thai who knows the spot. Otherwise, you are just asking to be ripped off. 

I’ve gone into places all over the country by myself without much difficulty.

Over the years I’ve noticed two different groups of expats in Thailand.

The one group goes on about how everyone is trying to cheat them, the police are all targeting them, and the locals are all stupid, lazy and vindictive.

The other group never seems to get cheated, are not targeted by the police and seem to get along fine with the locals.

I’m in the second group.

Incidentally, your post is not real clear.
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, mogandave said:

I’ve gone into places all over the country by myself without much difficulty.

Over the years I’ve noticed two different groups of expats in Thailand.

The one group goes on about how everyone is trying to cheat them, the police are all targeting them, and the locals are all stupid, lazy and vindictive.

The other group never seems to get cheated, are not targeted by the police and seem to get along fine with the locals.

I’m in the second group.

Incidentally, your post is not real clear.

I too am in the second group. The first group consist of people who have not been here or people deranged by anti malarial medicines or just hopeless idiots who always blame other people rather.than take responsibility.

• Like 2