Getting ripped off in Thailand

cat handler

8 hours ago, The manic said:

The term prostitute tends to be deliberately degrogatory enabling the user to feel morally superior.  Sex worker seems more polite. The use of the term prostitute is a form of woman hate dictated by a patriarchal controlling view. Men who use such crude terms are threatened by all independent women not just sex workers.  They are usually morally dubious with something to hide. You seem to have lived in Thailand and learned nothing of value but reinforcement of your prejudices. . We all sell our bodies.  I don't buy into your spite.  I'm glad the army have left. CM. Although the army has moved into Pattaya it still has a different municipal structure to other cities and more independence. Let's hope it stays that way and that CM returns to it's erstwhile incarnation instead the tired sterile dump it has become.  After free elections...if you believe in.such things. There is one thing I'd like to ask you: Is your name Sanemax related to women's hygiene products? Or hadn't you noticed.  

Serious serious issues. You need exercising and straightening out regarding your hyperbole judgeMENTAL idiotic waffle. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Chiang Mai is occupied territory, in the war of repression by the Siam people against the Laos/Lanna people.

Every election the ethnic Laos/Lanna win, then get overthrown by the military might of the Siam.

We have so many Western revolutionaries on here .

Chiang Mai is part of Thailand .

It was red shirts against yellow shirts and as neither was able to Govern, the military took over the whole Country

On 8/26/2018 at 8:27 PM, cat handler said:

Can you you try writing that in English, and since when was it illegal to drink after 2am? I’m guessing you’re related to the rip off filth in Chang Mai if you think a gill of 18’000 Baht is “a bit high”, I can just imaging you picking you’re nose and having a feast while you wrote that.

Were you still boozed when you typed this? 

On 8/27/2018 at 12:10 PM, Expatthailover said:

Besides try going drinking in oz or uk after 2 am with 5 people and see what you get for $250/$300.

You and your mates seem really interesting fun people

Never mind his English, what about the person who taught whoever wrote this Mathematics?

18,000 baht comes out at around $740 AUD  and about $550 USD and about 430 GBP

I cannot believe the number of clowns quoting the law and vilifying the guy because he went out with his mates and got ripped off in a Karaoke bar and was definitely going to be cheated until he put his foot down.

So what? He went out late at night with mates to a Karaoke. Well, shock horror, they were on the prowl for ' ladies of the night'.

Must everybody be in bed at midnight because of government nonsense?

I wonder if all the Police and Army bars are closed by midnight.

Utter bollards! If this had been a restaurant bill he was quibbling about, the experts would be out of the woodwork telling us the price of prawns everywhere from Hua Hin to Koh Chang!  The gourmets on here know everything from the weight of a fresh crab to the size of the waitresses knickers!

They bloody did try to cheat him regardless he was a bit ' dim ' listening to tuk-tuk Somchai!  That is no reason to hang, draw and quarter him.

Fair play to him!!!    I wouldn't have paid it either!

Edited by Scouse123
  • Like 1

On 8/26/2018 at 9:57 PM, zzaa09 said:

This could easily apply to discontented residents as well as the usual frustrated sexpats and casual traveler. 

If they're truly uncomfortable living here/visiting, why might they continue to be here? 

Bizarre contradictory, to say the least.

uhm........  i forgot to put "if" at the start of the second line.my bad.

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 7:45 PM, cat handler said:

How many people on here actually realise how badly they are and can be ripped off in Thailand (hence the title). 

Ive been going to Thailand a few times a year over the last 10 years and always wondered why I can drink Johnny Walker Red Label and Coke (Led Coke) all nigh and not get drunk. A perfect example occurred in Pattaya a few years back at a popular Walking Street night club when I had 7 glasses while my girlfriend had 1 bottle of beer over 2 hours (or less). We got a taxi home and I breath tested myself with my new breath tester and I was 0.00 BAC while my girlfriend was 0.04 BAC. 

I have now finally found out why, in Australia the standard “shot” of spirits is 30ml, in the US I believe it is higher, however in Thailand it’s 15ml (a half shot) and they only use a full shot for Thai Whiskey. So the other night I ordered a Double Shot at just a regular beer bar and got what is a standard 30ml shot in Australia and was charged the equivilant of over AUD$13, twice the price I would have paid back home at a pub and still $3 more than if I bought it at an up market night club.

Now the BIGGEST ACT OF BASTARDRY I have ever witnessed and the biggest ripoff ever seen occurred in Chang Mai a little over a week ago, I was travelling by bike with 2 mates and my girlfriend around Thailand and stopped into Chang Mai for the night, my girlfriend stayed at the hotel and I went out drinking with some mates. After the bars closed around 2 my mates wanjted more and to get a couple of ladies so I tagged along, the Tuk Tuk Driver said he knew where to get some so more drinks and girls so we let him take the lead. We ended up in a Karaoke Club, the ones where you get a private room to have a sing, drink and some food. 2 girls joined us as I said I’m not interested I have one waiting in my hotel.

One mate ordered a bottle of Top Shelf Scotch Whiskey and paid for it up front and we started drinking it, his plan was to take the bottle with him after a couple of drinks and after negotiating a price with the ladies. After about 20 minutes and after a couple of drinks and a couple of plates of food for the ladies he says to me the girls were saying they can’t leave until 4am, it was around 3am. He says he’s not going to wait around until then and asked for the bill to leave, this is when the ripoff started, the bill comes and it’s over 18,000 Baht , yes that’s right, 18,000 Baht for 2 songs, 3-4 plates of food, a few mixes for the whiskey and the girls to sit with them. Of course I refused to pay it, so did my mates. After about 30 minutes and suggestions from me that we each just pay 1000 Baht (3000 all up) my mate agreed to pay 5000, 2000 for each of my mates and 1000 from me to avoid what could have become an ugly  confrontation, sure there we 3 of us but you don’t know how many Thai guys are waiting outside. So lesson learned about Chang Mai, avoid the dump, I just wish I had done 3 key things.

1. Marked the location of the bar using google maps for future reference.                                                                                               2. Had the phone number of the Tourist Police stored in my phone.

3. Had taken a photo of the bill.

And breathe.....

On 8/27/2018 at 8:47 PM, FritsSikkink said:

No pop up bars, normal bars. Not going to tell though otherwise they will be swamped with tourist in no time and after that the will be shutdown too.

So if they are so private it proves my point. The real ,open, night life has been closed down.It's not just tourists who used the pip up bars but THAI people,  regulars visitors and people who lived in Thailand.  Affordable good fun andbreal! I can't bear snobs who dislike tourist and think they are better than other people. Like I said BKk is a bore these days..So there's a few private bars only you know about...which you can't reveal. Pathetic time wasting. I had hoped you had some credible advice to offer. You don't 

17 minutes ago, The manic said:

So if they are so private it proves my point. The real ,open, night life has been closed down.It's not just tourists who used the pip up bars but THAI people,  regulars visitors and people who lived in Thailand.  Affordable good fun andbreal! I can't bear snobs who dislike tourist and think they are better than other people. Like I said BKk is a bore these days..So there's a few private bars only you know about...which you can't reveal. Pathetic time wasting. I had hoped you had some credible advice to offer. You don't 

There not so private, they are Thai with a couple of expats, no tourists. I am happy enough never to meet you.

24 minutes ago, The manic said:

There are plenty of places to drink all night in bkk

Maybe not as much flashing neon lights as before but you can blame that on the military orders to shutdown premises at midnight 

Nothing to do with a shortage of people who still want to party until the sun comes up

On 8/27/2018 at 2:36 AM, The manic said:

Not really your business what other people do with their money is it? Whatever your experiences have been? "Many a poor guy has wasted heaps of money". Not wasted if he was having a good time.  Why deny to others or criticise a lifestyle choice you, on your own admittance, once embraced? Sounds a bit hypocritical to me. Just saying.

Did you miss the OP? He claimed he was scammed and ripped off at a karaoke bar, and the money were spent on boose an prostitutes. Something which is far from unknown if you indulge with such things. It is very more likely to happen if you indulge with such things than if you play golf or go for a jog. 

Thats the facts which I pointed out. It has nothing to do with moral or etichs. 

And if he and his mates were having a good time and felt they had value for money so to speak I think he wouldnt have bothered starting this topic on this forum. Or what do you think?

On 8/27/2018 at 3:39 AM, BritManToo said:

I wasted much more money on my cold English wife, than I ever did on prostitutes and booze in Chiang Mai.

If I were able to live my life again it'd be more hookers/booze and drugs, and I'd give the English wife a total miss.

The good things in life are free you know...?

4 minutes ago, scoutman360 said:

So, he was out with his mates illegally ordering drinks, after hours, and having fun with pay-for-play girls. I suggest pay them with a smile.

Pay them with a smile.... If you want to see the baseball bats come out

Pay them their Baht and you can laugh about it when you're older and wiser.... 

not sure why people are ripping on this dude that got scammed

the one time i stepped foot into a karaoke in thailand they tried the same bs

lived around the corner from one of these big karaokes in cm on chang klan road for years. still was afraid to go in. they seem to be immune from the usual protections you get in town as they are off the tourist track.

the staff and girls are a different kind of animal, not typical thai. seemed to be chinese mafia types.

Edited by Dick Crank

On 8/26/2018 at 3:07 PM, pgrahmm said:

There are supposed to be some legit karaoke places in CM - but damned if I'd venture out into any based on all the horror stories consistently coming to the fore about this year after year....

There are in fact many karaoke places that are very nice in CM. These are the karaokes where the locals go. No fancy VIP rooms, but normal prices for beer and food and you won't be ripped off.

• Thanks 1

On 8/27/2018 at 1:20 AM, spidermike007 said:

From all of the stories I have heard, no fareng should EVER go to any Karaoke bar in Thailand, unless they are accompanied by a Thai, who is a trusted friend. Never. Ever. These stories are rampant. These are clip joints. Often, when you refuse to pay the stated amount it can get very ugly. Not worth it. Even when the cops get involved, you still get clipped. Do not patronize these filthy scum joints. Unless you know the place, and/or know the owner, best to avoid. Going to a random joint like this, at 2am, on the advice of a taxi driver? A recipe for disaster, and naivety at it's zenith. 

There is nothing wrong with Chiang Mai. It is a great town. But never pick random spots like that.

Mike I would quote that to say any Karaoke Bar in Thailand offering prostitution.

My wife would take me to a Karaoke in Bangkok with her friends once in while.

It was upstairs in some building and I don't even think it had a sign, however, it had a very nice and comfortable lounge.

They were all horrible singers but they had a generally happy time. Food was good and relatively cheap. Drinks were cheap as well.

Always had a good time as the patrons were just normal working class Thai's 

Karaoke songs were all Thai.

No prostitution or girls for hire, in fact, if you didn't know where it was, you would probably never know there was a karaoke.

I look back and remember how happy everyone was, even if they couldn't sing a note.

Thailand has tons of clip joints.

Only the fool-hardy would venture into one they knew nothing about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mike I would quote that to say any Karaoke Bar in Thailand offering prostitution.

My wife would take me to a Karaoke in Bangkok with her friends once in while.

It was upstairs in some building and I don't even think it had a sign, however, it had a very nice and comfortable lounge.

They were all horrible singers but they had a generally happy time. Food was good and relatively cheap. Drinks were cheap as well.

Always had a good time as the patrons were just normal working class Thai's 

Karaoke songs were all Thai.

No prostitution or girls for hire, in fact, if you didn't know where it was, you would probably never know there was a karaoke.

I look back and remember how happy everyone was, even if they couldn't sing a note.

Thailand has tons of clip joints.

Only the fool-hardy would venture into one they knew nothing about.

If you never go in anywhere, how do you learn where to go?