Driving licence uproar unmasks character flaws

webfact

I can't read Thai, so I am unable to get the picture on what is happening on social media. But I am wondering whether there aren't many people thinking, as I do, that 10000 Bahts for being unable to produce, on the spot, the valid license you possess is out of proportion, while 50000 driving without having a valid license is just about right. But where the thing gets really problematic is when come to realise that police would have to fine 50000 to 9 years old boys driving the motorbike they got for their birthday.

Also if the 10000 fine gets implemented they will have to implement a 100000 fine for DUI, speeding, running red lights, etc.

And last and not least, many people still get licenses "after hours" at some DLT offices, for a very reasonable fee.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

But police officers couldn’t demand bribes if people were obeying the law in the first place. 

That's b/s. I always drive within the speed limit but that doesn't stop the police setting up their road blocks and pulling me over because I am a farang and point at the speedometer as though to say I was speeding. Then demanding 200 thb so I can go on my way. I have pushed back on occasions and that only gets them riled and they start looking for other things to pick me up on. They never find any because I am fully insured with a valid license etc etc etc. But it is the fact that they are able to do this on the pretext of speeding and wanting their tea money.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SoilSpoil said:

Where is this exactly? I've lived here more than 15 years, but this has never happened to me.

On the 331/304 between Pattaya and Korat ... sometimes up to 4 checkpoints

When I came here, I was informed that THAIS generally, will find ways of circumnavigating all laws, and to be honest that is TRUE 100%. Until that ATTITUDE changes, no amount of LAWS will change the system, the corruption or even the outcome. 

They ( The NCPO ) need to understand Thais lie and refuse to follow any law they do not like, plus that the Police are seen as  CORRUPT  from the top down. Forgetting they ( The Police ) are there to PROTECT the public not steal from them !!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SoilSpoil said:

Where is this exactly? I've lived here more than 15 years, but this has never happened to me.

If they stop you fro speeding just ask them to prove it. They will let you go as they can never prove it !"!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAG said:

Almost invariably they trundle slowly along the left-hand side of the road, causing ,at most, a couple of minutes inconvenience to anyone behind them. They are often an integral art of the local economy...

They are actually not legal, and there trundling is actually dangerous considering that there is no brake on the third wheel. I cannot recount how many time these "living rooms"  almost caused me to have an accident. Off with their heads... hehehe

• Thanks 1

Why not bring  corruption out into the open by making the driver firstly give the policeman say 200 Baht for catching each driver committing an offence. Then give the driver his official fine for the offence. ( Lets call a spade a spade for once)

This might motivate the police to get off their butts and chase down more offending drivers. Enforcement is the key to achieving better results with fines that are affordable and matched to the drivers income level. 

I have been told that the police are subsidizing there low income of around 10,000 baht per month by taking cash payoffs from drivers.Thais seem to believe that this is the way its been for decades.  

At present what are the odds of being caught by police if a driver travels at high speed every day on the expressway? zero!!