Compulsory golf caddy

scubascuba3

31 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Optional caddies would work fine

Couple of courses in Chiang Mai where it is allowed but invariably tends to slow down the pace of play for exactly the reasons I mentioned and often groups of 6 aged members on one particular course.

• Like 1

Couple of courses in Chiang Mai where it is allowed but invariably tends to slow down the pace of play for exactly the reasons I mentioned and often groups of 6 aged members on one particular course.
Where i play in the Pattaya area, often caddies can slow down the game, you know 100 yards behind, last to the ball. One day we had no caddies at a course because none were available, the round was 30 mins faster than normal

Maybe you need to do a poll and see actually how many people agree with you and would bother to actually take that course of action? 
I don't think you would have many courses (if any) left to play.........
I am with [mention=51]Thailand[/mention] on this.
From discussions with many golfers over years, most likely expats generally wouldn't use them but tourists would, of course will be exceptions.

But that's the point of optional?

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

From discussions with many golfers over years, most likely expats generally wouldn't use them

Would be interesting to see if the numbers back you up - that's why I suggested a poll and you could have an option to declare if you were a expat or tourist although you would need to define the criteria for each.

It would also be very difficult for the courses to manage their caddies if they had no idea how many would be needed on any particular day. 

It would also be very difficult for the courses to manage their caddies if they had no idea how many would be needed on any particular day. 

Its a problem that many golf courses around the world cope with. With experience they'll know how many they will need. The best caddies stay, the guff ones do other things.

The idea of optional is if people want a caddy fine carry on

15 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Private clubs institute their own policies regardless of so-called “laws”.

and if you refuse a caddy or tip a caddy you wont be playing there i do agree the caddy tip business is a big scam.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Thailand said:

The problem there sounds like not the lack of caddies but an oversized group of elderly golfers.

• Like 1

I've always had a dislike of using caddies. I'm a fit guy and I prefer to carry my clubs or better still use a trolley. The only benefit that I can see is to give advice when you play on a new course. They're also a distraction here if they're really hot!

I always feel like I'm being patronised if I'm forced to hire one, especially when it's expensive. I'm putting up with something I don't wish for and it's hurting me in the pocket to boot.

I've stopped golfing here because I'm a pensioner and it's become far too expensive and the caddy fees don't help. I'll never understand why, in a country where land and labour is so cheap, a round of golf is so expensive.
Its 2000-3000 baht a round including green fee, caddy fee, compulsory caddy tip, transport, bet. 3 times a week which is normal comes to 300,000-450,000 baht a year (£7000-£11000).

A lot of guys don't realise how much it all adds up.

Caddy 650+ baht (£15+) every time you play, i doubt anyone would swallow that back in the UK
  • Like 2

While I was initially not thrilled with the mandatory caddie rule, I have come to appreciate it. If one gets a reasonably decent caddie it can make the round more enjoyable, especially if I am unfamiliar with the course. The good ones know how the greens break and how to play a tee shot, also where the "hidden" water traps are. 

I often play as a single and one caddie was able to call the starter to get me to skip ahead of a bottleneck and we just backtracked to finish up the round.  Saved me an hour of waiting, extra 100 baht tip that day.

But I totally agree for some courses with utterly useless caddies that just lug the cart around.

Mandatory carts are something I could live without, far more expensive and less useful than a caddie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Its 2000-3000 baht a round including green fee, caddy fee, compulsory caddy tip, transport, bet. 3 times a week which is normal comes to 300,000-450,000 baht a year (£7000-£11000).

A lot of guys don't realise how much it all adds up.

Caddy 650+ baht (£15+) every time you play, i doubt anyone would swallow that back in the UK

Our group in Pattaya (20+ players) used to play twice a week.

With all the hidden costs like caddy tip etc we now play twice a month

• Like 2

Our group in Pattaya (20+ players) used to play twice a week.
With all the hidden costs like caddy tip etc we now play twice a month
I'm the same, when here for 3-6 months a year I'd play 3 times a week, now here all year I've opted to play in average once a fortnight
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, UnkleGoooose said:

Dude, why are you even making an issue about this.................? It's 300 baht <deleted>; they're fun, they add a bit of softness to the round. Move on. Typical old geezer golfer looking for a problem for his solution.

You don't believe in freedom of choice then, don't you think caddies should be optional after all Thais have an option.

Most of the caddies I have used are more interested in their mobile phones than my round of golf, it's got to the stage now where I use the military courses where there are no caddies.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, UnkleGoooose said:

Dude, why are you even making an issue about this.................? It's 300 baht <deleted>; they're fun, they add a bit of softness to the round. Move on. Typical old geezer golfer looking for a problem for his solution.

A caddy at most courses is 350 bt plus compulsory tip of at least 300 bt = 650 bt (15 GBP) that you shouldn't have to be paying if you don't want a caddy. Most courses are now compulsory buggy so the caddy is just a driver.

Tourists like having a caddy as a novelty, money better spent elsewhere.

• Like 1