Insufficient pension to qualify for extension of stay based on retirment

A friend of mine went to Udon Thani Immigration office recently to apply for another 1 year extension of stay based on retirement. He receives a pension in Euros, that due to the currently  strong THB, just falls short to qualify for the income requirements. He offered to deposit the 'gap' of THB 25,000 into a bank account, but immigration requires this amount to be seasoned by 90 days. The seasoning would therefore occur after his extension expires end of September.

Question for you: what are his options, without travelling to his home country? Are there embassies/consulates in the region that would issue a Non O based on retirement without proof of (sufficient) funds, i.e. Savannakhet?  He is well aware of the option of converting a tourist visa to a Non O, but would see this as a last resort at the moment.

Many thanks for your help!

Or he can pay an agent for an under the table extension. I believe the cost to be around 16,000 in UT. Someone on here must be doing it under the table. Maybe they'll be along soon?

Edited by sinbin
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Well these folk/companies are around and one (at least) advertises this "service" in the local newspaper here...…….I know it is not UT but shows it can be done.

Ive been offered it for 20,000b a year in udon.might take up the offer as it releases 800,000b that gets eaten away with inflation at 3% or more.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

Ive been offered it for 20,000b a year in udon.might take up the offer as it releases 800,000b that gets eaten away with inflation at 3% or more.

And at 3% per annum, that's 24,000 baht. A cheaper alternative to the seasoning providing you invest the money wisely and not blow it. Any annual return over 3% (KrungThai bank offers 1.75% per fixed annual return) will pay the visa agency costs. I know of several bona-fide schemes (mainly offshore or in other countries) that would bring in returns of that magnitude  - or more - and at very low risk. 

However, the visa agent's offer is illegal and the authorities at some point will close the loophole - so don't get caught up in the scapegoats-effects unless you're armour plated.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

I would think there are going to be quite a few Brits in the sunken pound boat joining him?

I think you are correct - I am cutting back a bit - for those of us who solely  derive an income in sterling I can see the rate going down to perhaps 38 baht to the pound - the Brexit fiasco gets worse by the minute. It hurts .

In the long term - it will work out OK .

I always thought if you were doing the money in the bank / income route the money had to be seasoned for 3 months ? 

I rent - fab house - but in a way the rental just goes up and becomes increasingly less sustainable. 

Oh dear - will have to join the flat dwellers . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, markaoffy said:

If you know say who! Names ? Just another fake

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

There is a company advertising on Facebook who do it in Bangkok. No deposition income. They say they sponsor you. I asked about Chiang Mai and they said they don't have an officer at immigration here so I would have to send my passport to Bangkok or take it in person. Cost 16,000. Don't know how genuine it is.

https://thaivisacentre.com/#/

36 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

I always thought if you were doing the money in the bank / income route the money had to be seasoned for 3 months ? 

Not according to Police Order 327-2557.

2.22 In the case of retirement:

(5) Must have an annual earning and fluids deposited with a bank totaling no less than
Baht 800,0000 as of the filing date.

No mention of a seasoning period using the combination method, but some insist.

8 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

There is a company advertising on Facebook who do it in Bangkok. No deposition income. They say they sponsor you. I asked about Chiang Mai and they said they don't have an officer at immigration here so I would have to send my passport to Bangkok or take it in person. Cost 16,000. Don't know how genuine it is.

https://thaivisacentre.com/#/

A fool and his money and his Passport are soon parted.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Time to end the off topic discussion of visa agents. It serves no purpose in this topic. A baiting post has now been removed.

Actually I thought it was not off topic. The OP asked what his friends options were. I mention the advert I saw. Is that not an option?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jerry499 said:

A friend of mine went to Udon Thani Immigration office recently to apply for another 1 year extension of stay based on retirement. He receives a pension in Euros, that due to the currently  strong THB, just falls short to qualify for the income requirements. He offered to deposit the 'gap' of THB 25,000 into a bank account, but immigration requires this amount to be seasoned by 90 days. The seasoning would therefore occur after his extension expires end of September.

Got caught in the same trap, by the same office 2 years ago. Not such a problem for me because being married, I was able to resort to a marriage extension instead.

In a way, I got the last laugh because it caused them a load of extra work.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Time to end the off topic discussion of visa agents. It serves no purpose in this topic. A baiting post has now been removed.

8 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

Actually I thought it was not off topic. The OP asked what his friends options were. I mention the advert I saw. Is that not an option?

Forum Rules.

10) Do not discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.