Insufficient pension to qualify for extension of stay based on retirment

1 hour ago, happy chappie said:

And sit and look at it then stick it back in the bank.its dead money.its like buying a car and parking it up forever.

No, you put it somewhere to earn interest, or invest it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stephenterry said:

Yes, that is more than harsh on the old boy - maybe he upset them - and your solution is a very inexpensive option, and hopefully it will stand you in good stead for the rest of your time here. 

I'm a bit more circumspect and send my income tax return to the UK Embassy for an income letter (which is expensive {rip off}, relatively) but this consulate letter (gold dust) is always accepted without any further questioning by the CM officer handling retirement extensions. Takes him about five minutes to process my application - after me waiting for a few hours while he laboriously processes others.   

I'll mention your solution to a few friends, however - see if any follow, or would follow, your route.

Why not just send bank statements, especially if, like me, you do not pay income tax?

17 hours ago, garyk said:

I have a question on dividends? If I have to prove my income can I just show bank statements showing the monthly dividend checks being deposited into my account? Is that all that is needed? Or do I need a letter from the Investment company?

The British Embassy do not give a monkey's where the income is from, nor do they take into account any outgoings. So you could have £12000 rental income let's say, but you pay out £6000 in expenses, they do not look at that...£12000 goes down as income.

9 hours ago, BritTim said:

In Thailand, maintaining a friendly relationship with officialdom is not corruption, but part of the culture. What I am suggesting is not offering bribes to get the service you want (which is what using an agent is effectively doing) but showing appreciation for an office (not an individual official) that acts voluntarily to help someone in trouble. An antagonistic relationship with authority is very non Thai. You might be equally outraged to hear that I will also do something similar after a hospital stay if I feel the nurses have made an effort to give me special care and attention.

The Thais must have a strong desire to stop corruption it should come from the heart , genuine desire to improve the rotting system that affects the whole country. Try giving gifts to Singapore office staffs they will refuse you outright. Malaysia recently with a newly elected government shows the new transport minister refused to accept a very small gift (probably an expensive pen from the look of the package) after the opening ceremony which he officiated.

BritTim I am not sure if you are Brit. I was told the tipping system came from the British during the colonial period where colonial officials would tip the locals a few fart pennies to show appreciation of the service rendered. It was said the locals were paid very low pay and they would be tip from time to time to encourage them to work hard. How disgusting could it get? Anyway you can't change history but at least the Thais should be made to know anything that tends to corrupt should be stop if they want to progress.

The Thais could charge more for the services they rendered so there is no necessity to show more appreciation. You have shown appreciation by paying more so they could have a decent income.

On 8/30/2018 at 4:32 AM, The manic said:

Thats a very good price if they are efficient  and speedy. But I have never heard such a cheap price. Can you tell me who they are by PM, thank you

Cambodia-inter.  soi buakhao ,  just past nicky's restaurant on left

On 8/29/2018 at 1:52 PM, markaoffy said:

If you know say who! Names ? Just another fake

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Agents are not illegal. Most language schools have one on staff. They advertise everywhere even here on Thai visa. I used one a few years ago but the fee then in bkk was only 12,000 baht. I am sure it is higher now.

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 7:46 AM, madusa said:

BritTim I am not sure if you are Brit. I was told the tipping system came from the British during the colonial period where colonial officials would tip the locals a few fart pennies to show appreciation of the service rendered

No, it came from the American Forces personnel, stationed here during the Vietnam war.

Over here and overpaid.

1 minute ago, roobaa01 said:

so there have been cases whereby the immi officer demanded more than hb 800 k rejecting the application ??

No problem for it being exactly 800k baht on the date of application but you have to remember that they calculate the income side of the combination based upon the exchange rate for the day it is done.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

so there have been cases whereby the immi officer demanded more than hb 800 k rejecting the application ??

wbr

roobaa01

It isn't 800,000 baht exactly, the requirement is a total of 800,000 baht minimum per annum.

Anything above is acceptable.

Anything below isn't acceptable.

If you can predict the exchange rate on the given date of your application and calculate 800,000 to the baht you were in the wrong profession.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2018 at 1:46 PM, madusa said:

BritTim I am not sure if you are Brit. I was told the tipping system came from the British during the colonial period where colonial officials would tip the locals a few fart pennies to show appreciation of the service rendered. It was said the locals were paid very low pay and they would be tip from time to time to encourage them to work hard. How disgusting could it get? Anyway you can't change history but at least the Thais should be made to know anything that tends to corrupt should be stop if they want to progress.

You appear to have overlooked the basic fact that, in common with every other nationality on this great planet of ours, we Brits have never colonised Thailand!

Personally, I find this explanation far more plausible:-

5 hours ago, Spidey said:

No, it came from the American Forces personnel, stationed here during the Vietnam war.

Edited by OJAS

On 8/29/2018 at 7:34 PM, Lacessit said:

An Immigration official with any smarts would question why the bank statement was showing deposits only and no withdrawals. I'm inclined to think they are capable of connecting the dots.

A person with any smarts could randomly withdraw at put it somewhere else too ....

their dots? reminds me of my 5 yo kid, he was quite good playing connect the dots...

On 8/30/2018 at 1:46 PM, madusa said:

The Thais must have a strong desire to stop corruption it should come from the heart , genuine desire to improve the rotting system that affects the whole country. Try giving gifts to Singapore office staffs they will refuse you outright. Malaysia recently with a newly elected government shows the new transport minister refused to accept a very small gift (probably an expensive pen from the look of the package) after the opening ceremony which he officiated.

The Thais could charge more for the services they rendered so there is no necessity to show more appreciation. You have shown appreciation by paying more so they could have a decent income.

Ignoring the fact the British were never colonial masters in Thailand (perhaps you just meant Malaysia), your contention on the origins of corruption is not only completely wrong but preposterous.Corruption has thrived everywhere and certainly was endemic in Asia long before the arrival of Europeans.If anything - talking about Malaysia - corruption was much less under the British than post independence.Of course most Asian countries have become much richer in the last 40 years so the propensity for corruption has increased.Thus in colonial Hong Kong in the 1950's and 1960's corruption was relatively rare.It increased hugely as the colony became prosperous.It's not a racial thing:the British members of the police force were as venal as any Chinese grafter.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2018 at 1:56 PM, xylophone said:

Well these folk/companies are around and one (at least) advertises this "service" in the local newspaper here...…….I know it is not UT but shows it can be done.

There are heaps of them.

Some people only have this option. 

Chosing to make the 15 to 20 k contribution to an agent which includes the Immigration officer additional services. 

They will provide details if you ask.

Look no further than the bottom of the Visa forums site.

One is flashing at me now.

Edited by dallen52
  • Like 1

On 9/11/2018 at 11:49 AM, jayboy said:

Ignoring the fact the British were never colonial masters in Thailand (perhaps you just meant Malaysia), your contention on the origins of corruption is not only completely wrong but preposterous.Corruption has thrived everywhere and certainly was endemic in Asia long before the arrival of Europeans.If anything - talking about Malaysia - corruption was much less under the British than post independence.Of course most Asian countries have become much richer in the last 40 years so the propensity for corruption has increased.Thus in colonial Hong Kong in the 1950's and 1960's corruption was relatively rare.It increased hugely as the colony became prosperous.It's not a racial thing:the British members of the police force were as venal as any Chinese grafter.

Yes.  I always think it is hypocritical or more so naive to attack this place for corruption as though there is none in their countries.  There is so much corruption in places like the UK and USA it is ridiculous.  And the money here is peanuts of what changes hands in those countries.

• Like 2

talked to a guy only yesterday, he paid 12,500,baht and yes it was Pattaya , i worked it out at 288 brit pounds, mine doing it legit came to 98 brit  pounds, (1900,baht for imi plus 52 quid for the brit embassy sharks) this november that will be

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Yes.  I always think it is hypocritical or more so naive to attack this place for corruption as though there is none in their countries.  There is so much corruption in places like the UK and USA it is ridiculous.  And the money here is peanuts of what changes hands in those countries.

It's a question of degree.Of course corruption can be found anywhere but it's muddying the waters to suggest every country is as bad as another.Thailand (and to be fair some other countries in the region as well) is appallingly corrupt on a scale that simply doesn't occur in places like Singapore, the UK or New Zealand.A word's needed on the US where corruption does exist though nothing like the scale of Thailand.In the US corrupt people do face massive fines and jail time.Nothing like that faces corrupt criminals in Thailand where corporate abuse goes unpunished.Also in the US and the UK moderately paid public servants and senior army officers do not end up acquiring vast fortunes.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2018 at 5:22 AM, Spidey said:

I wanted a yellow book. Went to the local Amphoe with my wife. I handed over my passport, my wife handed over her chanote, I.D card, blue book and a large cream cake. 2 weeks later my wife called in and collected my yellow book and the lady told her to bring me back in and she would issue me with a pink ID card.. No hassle. It's the way things are done here. Personally, I love it.

I don't disagree that this how things are done here, but don't be under the illusion that it was the cake, it was your wife.

btw, me and my wife (not Thai) got yellow book and pink card also quite easily, without the cake but with an agent.

On 8/29/2018 at 7:43 AM, Suradit69 said:

He was, I believe, simply making the point that people other than those in the Euro Zone could also face the same problem. The Euro is not the only currency to buy fewer baht these days  than in the past.

Which currency is buying more baht than 15 years ago or 10 or 5?

On 8/30/2018 at 11:31 AM, Lobber said:

I hate the words seasoned. seasoning, what the .. is it a cooking show ??

You don't like metaphors, do you?

Seasoning as in "game seasoning": let the meat rest, may be even rot slightly, so that it becomes suitable for consumption. Couldn't be more pertinent, could it? And I lake the "rot" bit, as we all have a high opinion of the Thai banking system.