Insufficient pension to qualify for extension of stay based on retirment

1 hour ago, garyk said:

I have a question on dividends? If I have to prove my income can I just show bank statements showing the monthly dividend checks being deposited into my account? Is that all that is needed? Or do I need a letter from the Investment company?

Nobody knows.  I don't and will not have a pension.  My passive income will come from my investment portfolio, dividends, interest etc.  I use Etrade.  They have an income estimator which basically takes the current equities and based on their last dividend payouts will estimate what the next month or year income will be.  I could also print out a list of all transactions that are payouts from last years for each of my accounts that shows the actual dividends and interests that were paid.  And Etrade said they would happily supply a letter testifying to the projected income or something like that.  So if proof is desired, well a person familiar with dividends and interest may understand it.  What a Thai official will understand is open to conjecture.  I know some really really do want to see some sort of monthly pension or benefit.  I know some really want to see or have asked to see some sort of monthly transfer.  Open season and probably will change going forward as more people learn a little bit about investment income, and many companies in the USA no longer have pensions (Northrop Grumman for example).  Instead they just kick in a matching 6% to your 401k.  When you leave the company you take those monies with you, but they are not a regular payout type of pension.  If you invest those monies into dividend paying stocks or funds, or buy interest paying bonds is up to you

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stephenterry said:

I know of several bona-fide schemes (mainly offshore or in other countries) that would bring in returns of that magnitude  - or more - and at very low risk. 

Please tell us more ?

6 hours ago, joskeshake said:

in Pattaya soi Buokhao shops first time 19.000, next year 11.000.

Not anymore,  inflation 'i'm afraid.    Was there yesterday,,,12,900.  for retirement visa.  Still the cheapest

[i think]

Moreover , now have to go immo' soi 5 for photo,, but no queuing 

200 for 90 day reports

400 if not a customer

Visa exempt  to non-o to retirement visa =21,000

Tourist visa to non-0 to retirement visa 21,000

can also open bank accounts if you need.

Most other agents 15,000 for retirement visas.   

Edited by yodsak
mistake
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, The manic said:

Agents in Pattaya 20 k or 25k if they put 800,000k in the bank.

agents in pattaya start at 12,900 if they put money in bank. 

Or 7000 if they dont

Edited by yodsak
extra info'

11 hours ago, BritTim said:

In fact, the senior official at the immigration office has the discretion to waive the seasoning requirement. At many offices, they prefer you use an agent for the extension instead (at which point, the senior official does waive seasoning). However, it is known to happen for individuals. Before using an agent, I would ask to talk to the senior official to plead your case. If possible, take a respected Thai with you to help. If the official does waive the seasoning, buy a nice food item for the office to share to show your gratitude.

This is bad advice. Buying any food for the office to share to show your gratitude. I guess, I may be wrong it will finally be "it's better if you give us the money so much easier we can decide what foods to buy, is that ok with You?" 

6 hours ago, yodsak said:

agents in pattaya start at 12,900 if they put money in bank. 

Or 7000 if they dont

Thats a very good price if they are efficient  and speedy. But I have never heard such a cheap price. Can you tell me who they are by PM, thank you

4 hours ago, madusa said:

This is bad advice. Buying any food for the office to share to show your gratitude. I guess, I may be wrong it will finally be "it's better if you give us the money so much easier we can decide what foods to buy, is that ok with You?"  

I wanted a yellow book. Went to the local Amphoe with my wife. I handed over my passport, my wife handed over her chanote, I.D card, blue book and a large cream cake. 2 weeks later my wife called in and collected my yellow book and the lady told her to bring me back in and she would issue me with a pink ID card.. No hassle. It's the way things are done here. Personally, I love it.

Edited by Spidey
  • Like 1

i can confirm that CM is asking for proof of actual income to match the US embassy affidavit

an applicant i know of was refused a new extension on Monday 27th August 2018 as he had no additional proof to back it up

he had 800K+ in the bank and offered that but they said it was not seasoned 

The Combination method was declined because the bank funds were not seasoned and the letter would still require income proof to comply 

they told him to leave Thailand, come back and start all over again

the applicant is nearly 80 years old, has mobility problems and had been here 12 years on consecutive retirement extensions applied for in the same way

Harsh but true

Edited by notamember

2 minutes ago, notamember said:

i can confirm that CM is asking for proof of actual income to match the US embassy affidavit

an applicant i know of was refused a new extension on Monday 27th August 2018 as he had no additional proof to back it up

he had 800K+ in the bank and offered that but they said it was not seasoned

The Combination method was declined because the bank funds were not seasoned 

they told him to leave Thailand, come back and start all over again

the applicant is nearly 80 years old, has mobility problems and had been here 12 years on consecutive retirement extensions applied for in the same way

Harsh but true

Wow! Really harsh. Can he not travel to a different Changwat and try there?

Alternatively can't he just obtain the evidence? I'm British and have to produce evidence every year. I print off three months of bank statements online. Also print off my annual tax return (P60) and one recent company pension payslip. All of which takes me a few minutes.

I believe that any one of the above will suffice but I'm a belt and braces person (a bit anal) and send all 3.

Edited by Spidey

19 hours ago, BritTim said:

In fact, the senior official at the immigration office has the discretion to waive the seasoning requirement. At many offices, they prefer you use an agent for the extension instead (at which point, the senior official does waive seasoning). However, it is known to happen for individuals. Before using an agent, I would ask to talk to the senior official to plead your case. If possible, take a respected Thai with you to help. If the official does waive the seasoning, buy a nice food item for the office to share to show your gratitude.

And if the senior officer changes from the time previously then you are *******. I had my 800 G's in a fixed term account in a 'Credit Union' earning 6.25%. Never a problem. Then last year I walked in and was told a 'Credit Union'  isn't a 'bank'. Hang on. It gives interest on your account and it issues loans. If it looks like a fish and swims like a fish then................

Anyways the senior officer refused to accept my application based on my monies not being in a Thai bank. Whereas before it was acceptable to have the monies in a 'Credit Union'. I had to pull my monies outta the 'Credit Union', drive 140km round trip  to put my monies into my Bangkok Bank account. Then they overlooked the 3 month seasoning rule and gave me my extension straight away.

The easiest option would have been to issue my extension as per before, with notification that next year the money has to be in a 'Thai Bank'. <deleted>

<baiting comment removed>

Edited by ubonjoe

12 hours ago, CH1961 said:

Please tell us more ?

I guess that's a flippant remark. Find out for yourself. And that could mean a lot of research and learning how to compile an investment strategy that is workable and profitable. As it happens, I'm a high risktaker, but I surmise you're just out to ridicule my response. 

No offence intended, BTW.

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

Wow! Really harsh. Can he not travel to a different Changwat and try there?

Alternatively can't he just obtain the evidence? I'm British and have to produce evidence every year. I print off three months of bank statements online. Also print off my annual tax return (P60) and one recent company pension payslip. All of which takes me a few minutes.

I believe that any one of the above will suffice but I'm a belt and braces person (a bit anal) and send all 3.

Yes, that is more than harsh on the old boy - maybe he upset them - and your solution is a very inexpensive option, and hopefully it will stand you in good stead for the rest of your time here. 

I'm a bit more circumspect and send my income tax return to the UK Embassy for an income letter (which is expensive {rip off}, relatively) but this consulate letter (gold dust) is always accepted without any further questioning by the CM officer handling retirement extensions. Takes him about five minutes to process my application - after me waiting for a few hours while he laboriously processes others.   

I'll mention your solution to a few friends, however - see if any follow, or would follow, your route.

25 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Yes, that is more than harsh on the old boy - maybe he upset them - and your solution is a very inexpensive option, and hopefully it will stand you in good stead for the rest of your time here. 

I'm a bit more circumspect and send my income tax return to the UK Embassy for an income letter (which is expensive {rip off}, relatively) but this consulate letter (gold dust) is always accepted without any further questioning by the CM officer handling retirement extensions. Takes him about five minutes to process my application - after me waiting for a few hours while he laboriously processes others.   

I'll mention your solution to a few friends, however - see if any follow, or would follow, your route.

Sorry, you misunderstood me, I wasn't very clear. These are the documents that I send to the British Embassy for them to scrutinise and send me an income letter. It's my belief that IO's are asking for further evidence from American citizens because the US Embassy doesn't perform the same level of due diligence as the British Embassy.

I was merely inferring from this, what evidence might be acceptable to an IO from a US passport holder.

Last trip to Savanakhet for an "O" visa I had several pages of financial evidence, as I read that was required. The nice gentleman at the desk handed them back to me, asking "What is this?" 
I explained it was evidence of my income that I brought in case it was needed. He sort of harrumphed and carried on without it.

4 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Sorry, you misunderstood me, I wasn't very clear. These are the documents that I send to the British Embassy for them to scrutinise and send me an income letter. It's my belief that IO's are asking for further evidence from American citizens because the US Embassy doesn't perform the same level of due diligence as the British Embassy.

I was merely inferring from this, what evidence might be acceptable to an IO from a US passport holder.

Ah, okay. In my case my tax return is compiled by my accountants  - presumably proof that satisfies the UK Embassy - and I send them only the relevant page of pensions, nicely added up, plus the front page showing my details.

However, that 80 year old - it's very unusual for any Thai official to not respect or help a man of that age - perhaps there is more story in his case? 

9 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Ah, okay. In my case my tax return is compiled by my accountants  - presumably proof that satisfies the UK Embassy - and I send them only the relevant page of pensions, nicely added up, plus the front page showing my details.

However, that 80 year old - it's very unusual for any Thai official to not respect or help a man of that age - perhaps there is more story in his case? 

I've no personal experience but by all accounts CM IO is a law to itself which is why I suggested that he travel to another changwat and try an IO there. I doubt that he would have had a problem at my IO, Chonburi/Jontien.

26 minutes ago, Spidey said:

've no personal experience but by all accounts CM IO is a law to itself which is why I suggested that he travel to another changwat and try an IO there.

It would not be all that easy to apply for an extension at a different immigration office. They would want proof of residence for the designated area for the office to do it.

• Thanks 1

Not anymore,  inflation 'i'm afraid.    Was there yesterday,,,12,900.  for retirement visa.  Still the cheapest
[i think]
Moreover , now have to go immo' soi 5 for photo,, but no queuing 
200 for 90 day reports
400 if not a customer
Visa exempt  to non-o to retirement visa =21,000
Tourist visa to non-0 to retirement visa 21,000
can also open bank accounts if you need.
Most other agents 15,000 for retirement visas.   

Wow Pattaya expensive. The one I use in Chiang Mai is 7500 for retirement extension and includes 4 x 90 day reports.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 hours ago, Spidey said:

I wanted a yellow book. Went to the local Amphoe with my wife. I handed over my passport, my wife handed over her chanote, I.D card, blue book and a large cream cake. 2 weeks later my wife called in and collected my yellow book and the lady told her to bring me back in and she would issue me with a pink ID card.. No hassle. It's the way things are done here. Personally, I love it.

The old corruption cake,nice move.the way to a woman's heart.cake.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, stephenterry said:

And at 3% per annum, that's 24,000 baht. A cheaper alternative to the seasoning providing you invest the money wisely and not blow it. Any annual return over 3% (KrungThai bank offers 1.75% per fixed annual return) will pay the visa agency costs. I know of several bona-fide schemes (mainly offshore or in other countries) that would bring in returns of that magnitude  - or more - and at very low risk. 

However, the visa agent's offer is illegal and the authorities at some point will close the loophole - so don't get caught up in the scapegoats-effects unless you're armour plated.

Ive been on retirement visa for a few years.this year I'm going to do a deal on no proof of income or go to marriage visa which is a pain for all.maybe 12,000 with multi entry as I'm going back uk to work.

51 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

Wow Pattaya expensive. The one I use in Chiang Mai is 7500 for retirement extension and includes 4 x 90 day reports.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Sorry,    should have said 12,900 for retirement visa no funds . 

Or 7000 for retirement visa if you provide the funds , bank letter

+ 800 for  4  90 day reports