Insufficient pension to qualify for extension of stay based on retirment

8 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

The OP asked what his friends options were. I mention the advert I saw. Is that not an option?

It was not meant solely for your post. You were merely responding after all the others.

To me they are not a good option since he has the income and the money. He does not need a agent to provide the proof.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It was not meant solely for your post. You were merely responding after all the others.

To me they are not a good option since he has the income and the money. He does not need a agent to provide the proof.

Understand. 

The problem is here in Thailand and TVF you get so MANY conflicting stories and it is hard to know which way to turn. Due to circumstances I have been caught out this year with my retirement extension. I have contacted a number of people and get so many conflicting stories as to what is right. And, as commonly known, immigration officers can often make the rules to suit themselves. Anyhow hopefully I will find out next week what will happen in my situation.

7 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

Understand. 

The problem is here in Thailand and TVF you get so MANY conflicting stories and it is hard to know which way to turn. Due to circumstances I have been caught out this year with my retirement extension. I have contacted a number of people and get so many conflicting stories as to what is right. And, as commonly known, immigration officers can often make the rules to suit themselves. Anyhow hopefully I will find out next week what will happen in my situation.

Are you an Australian national?

Just now, Dazinoz said:

Yes, why do you ask?

You can make an income affidavit at the Australian Consulate in Chiang Mai, to meet your financial requirement for your extension.

No proof of funds required.

Get my drift?

8 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

You can make an income affidavit at the Australian Consulate in Chiang Mai, to meet your financial requirement for your extension.

Get my drift?

Yep, thanks. Got it last week. But i have been told by 2 agents Chiang Mai immigration now require proof of income as we as the Stat Dec.

And also read on here somewhere someone was saying same thing.

Edited by Dazinoz

1 minute ago, Dazinoz said:

Yep, thanks. Got it last week. But i have been told by 2 agents Chiang Mai immigration now require proof of income as we as the Stat Dec.

Don't believe agents all the time. They have an ulterior motive...……… money.

I cannot comment whether Chiang Mai are actually requesting financial proof to support an Income affidavit.

UJ may know better as he reads the forum from A-Z. lol.

Alternatively post that question in the Chiang Mai forum for advice from local expats.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tanoshi said:

Don't believe agents all the time. They have an ulterior motive...……… money.

Agree. But I also read on a thread here about it as someone else posed the situation. Again many conflicting stories.

17 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

And also read on here somewhere someone was saying same thing.

That sounds like agent scare tactics. Even if it is required what can they ask for besides bank statements.

You have your pension, just get a mate to transfer some money into your account and tag it "yearly share dividends", pension plus dividends equals enough money.

Edited by Peterw42

10 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

Agree. But I also read on a thread here about it as someone else posed the situation. Again many conflicting stories.

If it was standard for all IO to request proof of finances when submitting Income affidavits, I think we'd have heard about it.

There are a few isolated reports only, it isn't standard practice. 

You want specific information regarding Chiang Mai's policy, not other general IO's.

There are many recommended agents in CM if required.

You should post the question on the CM forum for a more reliable and local answer,

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Get my drift?

Not good advice.

While no proof of funds is required by Australian Consulate officials, Thai Immigration MAY at any time ask an applicant for proof of income. I understand this is happening with American nationals at present.

Secondly, making a false statement on a statutory declaration is a criminal offence under Australian law. Penalties include jail time.

14 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Not good advice.

While no proof of funds is required by Australian Consulate officials, Thai Immigration MAY at any time ask an applicant for proof of income. I understand this is happening with American nationals at present.

Secondly, making a false statement on a statutory declaration is a criminal offence under Australian law. Penalties include jail time.

It's not the advise I'd like to give.

With foreign currencies v the baht dropping and expats now scrapping to meet the financial requirements legitimately in certain instances, what would you advise as an option...…………….. get out of Thailand.

Edited by Tanoshi

8 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

No, it's not (any broad change occurring re Americans at Thai Immigration).

There has been some uptick lately at Chiang Mai Immigration with the officers there asking for income affidavit documentation from extension applicants in general.

But other than that, and at Immigration officers elsewhere, no big changes on proof of income occurring.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

It's not the advise I'd like to give.

With foreign currencies v the baht dropping and expats now scrapping to meet the financial requirements legitimately in certain instances, what would you advise as an option...…………….. get out of Thailand.

My advice would be either engage a well-connected agent, or......get out of Thailand. I was quite impressed with Vietnam as an alternative.

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

No, it's not (any broad change occurring re Americans at Thai Immigration).

There has been some uptick lately at Chiang Mai Immigration with the officers there asking for income affidavit documentation from extension applicants in general.

But other than that, and at Immigration officers elsewhere, no big changes on proof of income occurring.

I was referring to CM Immigration. They do seem to be more difficult than other posts. Perhaps that's an understatement according to some.

10 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Not good advice.

Probably not great advice but its how 100s of pensioners (below 65k) do it. Realistically what could immigration ask for as proof, beyond bank statements showing deposits, technically you could withdraw and deposit the same 10,000 dollars 5 times and show deposits/income of $50,000.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

He can apply for a single entry non-o visa in Savannakhet. He could show both the money he has in the bank and his income letter. The money he has in the bank would only need to be in the bank on the date he applies (no 3 month requirement).

When he applies for his extension the money will only need to be in the bank for 60 days since it would be considered his first extension.

Joe, I'd consider the OP's described situation as a one-time, emergency, unexpected one -- not a pattern that's likely to be repeating itself every year.

So in that context, I wonder what the relative, comparative costs would be between:

a. paying a visa agent in Udon Thani (assuming someone's doing that there) just on a one-time basis to get around the seasoning problem vs.

b. arranging a two-way trip to Savannakhet including travel, meals, hotel expenses while waiting for the visa to be issued, fees at the Thai consulate there, etc etc...

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I was referring to CM Immigration. They do seem to be more difficult than other posts. Perhaps that's an understatement according to some.

Yes, except, the OP's friend is in Udon Thani, not CM...

And, you didn't mention CM specifically in your prior post, just made a broad general comment about Americans, which I'm not sure is even true in CM.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rwill said:

he should be able to get a 60 day extension, you still have to pay the same as a year extension, if that gives him enough time for seasoning it.

You can't get a 60 day extension, to an extension.

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So in that context, I wonder what the relative, comparative costs would be between:

Less than half for the visa in Savannakhet.

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

a. paying a visa agent in Udon Thani (assuming someone's doing that there) just on a one-time basis vs.

About 20k baht.

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

b. arranging a two-way trip to Savannakhet including travel, meals, hotel expenses while waiting for the visa to be issued, fees at the Thai consulate there, etc etc...

Trip to from Udon to Mukdahan and return about 500 baht each way. Lao visa $35. Visa fee 2000 baht. One night in a hotel 800 baht. Miscellaneous and meals 1000 baht.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ironicly, there's an advert at the top of page 2 offering just what is being talked about.  i.e. Retirement Visa, no money or income needed..... Easy Visa.

Before my pensions matured I was in the same boat.  I found that a number of the immigration guys offered the service.

I have a question on dividends? If I have to prove my income can I just show bank statements showing the monthly dividend checks being deposited into my account? Is that all that is needed? Or do I need a letter from the Investment company?

4 hours ago, happy chappie said:

Ive been offered it for 20,000b a year in udon.might take up the offer as it releases 800,000b that gets eaten away with inflation at 3% or more.

As soon as you get the extension, you can pull your money out for nine months.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Yes, except, the OP's friend is in Udon Thani, not CM...

And, you didn't mention CM specifically in your prior post, just made a broad general comment about Americans, which I'm not sure is even true in CM.

Well, we'll have to wait for further developments, won't we? My understanding is there has been a tightening up in CM with respect to proof of income. Maybe that will spread to other branches, maybe not.

I think it's fairly common knowledge there are quite a few Americans whose real income is not within a bull's roar of the official requirement. A couple of them live in my condo.

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Probably not great advice but its how 100s of pensioners (below 65k) do it. Realistically what could immigration ask for as proof, beyond bank statements showing deposits, technically you could withdraw and deposit the same 10,000 dollars 5 times and show deposits/income of $50,000.

An Immigration official with any smarts would question why the bank statement was showing deposits only and no withdrawals. I'm inclined to think they are capable of connecting the dots.

7 hours ago, BritTim said:

In fact, the senior official at the immigration office has the discretion to waive the seasoning requirement. At many offices, they prefer you use an agent for the extension instead (at which point, the senior official does waive seasoning). However, it is known to happen for individuals. Before using an agent, I would ask to talk to the senior official to plead your case. If possible, take a respected Thai with you to help. If the official does waive the seasoning, buy a nice food item for the office to share to show your gratitude.

Ah agent, AKA kickback, commission.  But if it satisfies the intention of the law/policy I would be OK with it in an emergency.  Of course it could be potentially abused.