What do you like and dislike most about Thailand?

Brunolem

Like - Easy going people (at least in Chiang Mai), low cost of living, local food

Dislike - Excessive garbage, excessive ads / billboard, some government regulations (including visa process)

I wanted to add freedom to cross the street anywhere to the like list, but that would be too long... Now looking for my "Jaywalking is not a crime" T-shirt... ?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

The chaos and uncertainty are what brought me to Thailand. And the illusion of freedom.

As an American I accept responsibly for my actions here in Thailand. Meaning I understand it is dangerous to live here.

If I get killed on my motorcycle I was the one who came here knowing the risks. I have three levels of insurance.

I actually was looking forward to the first time a traffic cop asked me for money. It was my fault and I laughed because it cost 200 baht. In the USA, 6000 baht?  But it is corruption that hold the whole country back. But I didn't create this country, the Thais did.   

Women who act like women, not like men. 

Happy Thai people who will start dancing at work at the drop of a hat. I mean in a grocery store, not in a gogo. :cheesy:

Things like the rocket festival and Songkran or spontaneous fireworks on the beach none of which you could never have in the USA.

I like the rainy season.

And being able to help Thai people with just a small amount of money which goes a long way. My maid is really happy when I give her the stamps they hand out at 7/11.

I live in a very simple way, no family, no wife, no business.  No problems with immigration. I don't have a problem with 90 day reporting. Very easy for me to do. Retirement extension of stay, easy no problems. I have respect for all the Farangs here that work and have businesses. I could never do it. Too much red tape.    

Bangkok Bank, no problems. AIS is great once you get their text messages sent in English and get over the culture shock of how Thai cellphone companies do business. PEA easy, True no real problems. 

I live in Thai neighborhood near the water in Hua Hin. It took two years to find a quiet area. My neighbors are hard working and conservative, and have a lot of money by Thai standards, but it took me a while to figure this out because they look very average wearing shorts and flip flops and live in some funky houses, until I checked real estate prices. There is a very old Thai woman who sweeps the street in front of my house and gave the PEA man hell for trying to disconnect my power when I forgot to pay my bill. I lost my keys somewhere around my neighborhood and somehow they reappeared on my door step the next day. So living away from Farangs outside a gated community makes me happy.

Sometimes it is hard to get things done because of the language barrier.

I lowered my expectations of how things should be done because I know they are rarely met.

things I find that make me a little sad are some Thais not wanting to listen. I find the ones who are willing to listen are more intelligent. 

Things I have a problem with because I want the Thais to do better are the continuous poor engineering and construction, water management, unsafe electrical everywhere. Loud speaker on trucks, kids on scooters, sometimes the heat and humidly. Air pollution, garbage everywhere. Police checkpoints and random ID checks are illegal in my country, so the first few times I was very uncomfortable until I realized it was all Kabuki theater.   

I found that Thai women doctors listen more than their male counterparts.  

Your'e second paragraph. You sure contradicted yourself there. First you hand over 200 Baht to a policeman, then you condemn corruption.

• Like 1

What I dislike most is the constant feeling that if something goes wrong it is the farangs fault. 

Just too much noise, especially at night every speaker is turned up to eleven.

The air pollution is getting terrible.

I enjoy the food, the warm climate, and I think all things considered they drive pretty good.

• Confused 1

I like the low cost of living and the friendliness of most Thai people.

I H A T E the Thai drivers. And the lack of enforcement of traffic laws. Hey you Thai drivers..The red lights are NOT a suggestion you stop.

A lot of lives could be saved if they made driving lessons mandatory in HS.

Likes my thai wife, my home. Cheap labour and can download good tv. Money you can make buying land when you first come here and sell 12 years later.    Hates piss heads who smoke in bars and resturants. Corruption in all areas. Most peoples lack of driving skills. No police checking licence or helmits at markets. Shop staff who come to you the second you look at something and cant speak english or understand if you were selling something would you employ these staff. The way many thais have quick anger issues. People who are too lazy to find things out themselves and just ask on thai visa christs sake ask google or get your ex bar girl to phone up. Crazy prices at international hospital. I think i better stop there 55555

• Haha 1