Tourist police tell British Embassy evidence does not support assault allegation on Koh Tao

webfact

56 minutes ago, alfalfa19 said:

There are two things I warn every acquaintance of mine who is planning to visit thailand about:

1.  Jet ski scam

2.   KT

That was a short list, you could have added:

3. Don't rent motorbikes if you have no knowledge of Thai traffic

4. Make sure that you have a proper insurance

5. If you bring 'ladies' to your room, make sure you don't get drugged and robbed

6. Beware of balconies

7. ........

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

The police have stated that the woman`s story has flaws because at the time she alleged to have been on the beach, that area would have been under water due to the tides and I see no reasons why the police statement is not credible.

I still say, BULL, to the woman`s story including other westerners, activists, stirring the pot with fake news. I guarantee that the woman in question, will not come forward to clarify her story and not leave any doubts, because it`s been lies, lies, lies from the very beginning with western activists using this case to benefit their own agendas against Thailand. 

Wear that silver foil hat much?

Western activists?!!!! ROFLMAO

What a strange delusional little world you must live in.  Koh Tao perhaps?

15 hours ago, cleopatra2 said:

Indeed the RTP do have a credibility issue. However this appears somewhat bizzare. Whilst it is not unusual to keep the consulate/ embassy informed , to actually disclose the information to the public is.

Considering the RTP have requested the woman or representative to return, it seems extraordinary that they would dismiss her evidence before she has given it. 

The RTP have placed the embassy in a difficult situation  that they will not appreciate, how do they provide assistance to the victim and remain neutral.The Thai police are asking the embassy to chose a side .

I am left to wonder if this has gone beyond the rape allegation and other actors are driving the narrative. 

Yes indeed you sèe us mere mortals cling to the old fashioned idea that an embassy is there to assist US when things go wrong a little bit of in this case Blighty in Thailand. Wrong folks they are in fact trade missions and just like every other entity in Thailand controlled by the Royal Thai Police. This was not a two way discussion with the British Consular services this was a DICTUM. Similàr to the one issued to and obeyed by the BBC.Now it might also surprise you or maybe surprise some that Transparency International did a very interesting article on Diplomatic Corruption. Nothing is what it seems other than the Boys in Brown are full of 'IT" and a read of the I think the 1961 Diplomatic Act is very informative. 

21 minutes ago, pattayadon said:

Shame on Thai police.  A rape occurred!  "Prove"  it didn't happen!!    Rapes don't occur in Koh Tao, only sex pool parties in Pattaya.  All about saving face.  Did I mention shame on Thai Police?   

Not sure what you expect them to find or do. They are not mind readers. You can't expect them to investigate a suspected crime if nobody reports it to them. 

They showed up at a suspected Crime Scene which has high and low tide, where hundreds of people have walked thorough by then, because this was the earliest possible time they found out about the story. They wanted to check the CCTV to see if anyone was sitting with this woman on the night in question so they could talk to them later, but the CCTV Systems was not working.

This being a type of place where people come for a week or two for a vacation, then quickly head home to unknown places, would make it difficult to find any witness to this suspected crime or who this woman may have talked to about it. If this woman didn't tell the Local Police about her story there is also a good chance she did not tell anyone else on the Island either. So who are you going to question? Even the FBI wouldn't find any evidence there after it occured weeks earlier.

So all they have really to investigate is the suspected victims, and her word that she was raped. A person you don't know and have no background information on who may or may not even have mental problems in the past. Who may have a history of inventing stories to make Insurance Claims. I am not saying she did this but what I am saying is that as being part of the Police, you don't know this yet. 

I mean to me personally, it is a bit odd she would not report something as serious as this to the Local Police right after this happened. I mean if she knew from the past of the bad reputation KT had for Crime and Police, then why would she even go there when there is thousnds of other places in Thailand she could have gone to.

Did she try to leave the Island as soon as she could after this happened to her? Did she try to go home as soon as she could, and cut her vacation short because of this? We don't know. But all present indications say she didn't. Or at least it was not reported this way, and thus we don't know one way or the other is she did or didn't.

And lets face it. It would be difficult to take anybody seriously who came into the Police Station in a different island all together, to say they would like to report a slolen purse so they can get a Police Report to make an Insurance Claim, and by-the-way. I was Raped a few days ago on a different island. If she did in fact even report this Rape then. It appears it is her word against the Police Officer's word. 

There is just so many odd events to this story, like not reporting the crime to the Local Police, and others, that I don't fully believe her story of wrong doing on that Island. Somethings just don't fit here. That is not to say that she may be telling the truth and I won't accuse her differently. But I still find her story hard to believe fully with the limited information we have now.      

19 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Well here's an interesting situation. The Thai police don't believe the girls story. However, No one at all, believes the Thai Police. And given everyone expected them to say they didn't believe the girls story, in fact were saying it before they even checked it, we are back to square one.

Let's wait until the girl gets her insurance money for "lost" goods. Will she still pursue her "rape" allegation? 

31 minutes ago, Gilda said:

Where is the reply from the Embassy.

"Deputy Commander of the Tourist Police, Pol Maj Gen Surachet Hakpal has met with British Consul-General to Thailand Paul Kaye to submit information collected following allegations that a British tourist was sexually assaulted on Koh Tao in the Gulf of Thailand.

He noted that despite the allegation, no report was filed with Thai police. He also spent close to an hour explaining the contents of photographs taken at the scene of the alleged crime to the consul-general."

The British Consul-General is likely still sitting, utterly gobsmacked, wondering WTH the men in uniform with the Year 9 science project about the high and low tides on Koh Tao was on about.

Pol Maj Gen Surachet added police have requested warrants for the arrest of the administrators of Facebook page CSILA and the Samui Times due to their presentation of the detrimental story.

Really and truly, seriously beyond the pale. ? Even for Thailand.

Let us hope the British Consul-General, who has indeed been placed in a most invidious position by these Tourist Police,  will be able to rise to the occasion.

2 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

The police have stated that the woman`s story has flaws because at the time she alleged to have been on the beach, that area would have been under water due to the tides and I see no reasons why the police statement is not credible.

I still say, BULL, to the woman`s story including other westerners, activists, stirring the pot with fake news. I guarantee that the woman in question, will not come forward to clarify her story and not leave any doubts, because it`s been lies, lies, lies from the very beginning with western activists using this case to benefit their own agendas against Thailand. 

Are you Royal Thai Pol Col Cyberfarang by any chance? Behave yourself. The only thing we know for sure is when it comes to lies the local constabulary wrote the manual. 

11 minutes ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

Not sure what you expect them to find or do. They are not mind readers. You can't expect them to investigate a suspected crime if nobody reports it to them. 

They showed up at a suspected Crime Scene which has high and low tide, where hundreds of people have walked thorough by then, because this was the earliest possible time they found out about the story. They wanted to check the CCTV to see if anyone was sitting with this woman on the night in question so they could talk to them later, but the CCTV Systems was not working.

This being a type of place where people come for a week or two for a vacation, then quickly head home to unknown places, would make it difficult to find any witness to this suspected crime or who this woman may have talked to about it. If this woman didn't tell the Local Police about her story there is also a good chance she did not tell anyone else on the Island either. So who are you going to question? Even the FBI wouldn't find any evidence there after it occured weeks earlier.

So all they have really to investigate is the suspected victims, and her word that she was raped. A person you don't know and have no background information on who may or may not even have mental problems in the past. Who may have a history of inventing stories to make Insurance Claims. I am not saying she did this but what I am saying is that as being part of the Police, you don't know this yet. 

I mean to me personally, it is a bit odd she would not report something as serious as this to the Local Police right after this happened. I mean if she knew from the past of the bad reputation KT had for Crime and Police, then why would she even go there when there is thousnds of other places in Thailand she could have gone to.

Did she try to leave the Island as soon as she could after this happened to her? Did she try to go home as soon as she could, and cut her vacation short because of this? We don't know. But all present indications say she didn't. Or at least it was not reported this way, and thus we don't know one way or the other is she did or didn't.

And lets face it. It would be difficult to take anybody seriously who came into the Police Station in a different island all together, to say they would like to report a slolen purse so they can get a Police Report to make an Insurance Claim, and by-the-way. I was Raped a few days ago on a different island. If she did in fact even report this Rape then. It appears it is her word against the Police Officer's word. 

There is just so many odd events to this story, like not reporting the crime to the Local Police, and others, that I don't fully believe her story of wrong doing on that Island. Somethings just don't fit here. That is not to say that she may be telling the truth and I won't accuse her differently. But I still find her story hard to believe fully with the limited information we have now.      

You clearly have an ability to be rational but clearly have no direct experience of interacting with those known locally as the Royal Thai Police. 

18 minutes ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

"This being a type of place where people come for a week or two for a vacation, then quickly head home to unknown places"........

yes, and yet these "mysterious deaths, rapes and druggings keep happening on Koh Tao! 

Instead of trying to blame the (alleged) victim, why not shine the spotlight where it truly belongs: on that cesspool of an island, the mafias and thugs running it and the inept/corrupt/complicit (choose any one or all, one size fits all!) police who help maintain and protect its dark reputation?

Why try to discredit the girl?  If, as she claims, she was raped, she was on a foreign island, surrounded by the types of people who think nothing of raping and murdering tourists and threatening any whistleblowers with the same fate, indeed they even brag about these killings on their Facebook pages and consider it good sport to post photos of themselves with lookalike (?) murder weapons.  She was probably terrified and in fear of her life and says that she tried to report the rape after she left the island but was not allowed to.  Those of us who have been here sometime would completely believe that side of the story.  After all, the RTP are the biggest bunch of corrupt, unprofessional, immature idiots with massive insecurity complexes and not known for their compassion towards victims (unless there's a photo op in it).

Asking the victime to come back to where (if true) the most traumatic event of her life occurred to clear HER name of wrongdoing is, simply, ludicrous and insensitive.  Why not send someone from the Thai embassy in London to interview her, when she can have some family support and perhaps a lawyer present as well?  

The onus of easing the suspicion lies with Thailand, not a young, probably gullible young tourist who probably had her life runined while on a "vacation of a lifetime:.

15 minutes ago, jgarbo said:

Let's wait until the girl gets her insurance money for "lost" goods. Will she still pursue her "rape" allegation? 

Despicable post.  About as bad as the cretin who posted about her virginity being stolen.  Same IQ range, at least.

I hope you're proud.

Good grief!

I thought the girls drink was spiked and she only realised something happened when she woke up on the beach with the rapist grinning at her? How was she to know how she got there and when and how long it was? Due pray tell me how the RTP suddenly have a full time line of events matched against tidal information...or did I miss a story in between somewhere where she had full recollection of the events of the evening. Something is fishy here and it doesn’t seem to be the girl at this stage in my very humble opinion.

What part of this case aren't you people getting here? There's no evidence......no evidence means no conviction, whether the crime happened or not!  Or would you rather the police just locked up a couple of Burmese scapegoats for appearances sake?

"Surat Thani provincial police commander Pol Maj-Gen Apichart Boonsrirote told a press conference that police have not found any evidence to prove that the alleged victim was raped on the night of June 25 as claimed after having questioned more than 200 witnesses who saw the British tourist or who were around the scene where she alleged to be raped.  He said police have also checked footage from close-circuit TV cameras in the area."                                                              (http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/police-confirm-no-rape-case-on-koh-tao-as-claimed-by-alleged-british-victim/)

Really? 200 witnesses who were at the scene in late June?

Not tourists, then, but local business owners and their workers.

How extensive were these interviews, if 200 were conducted so very rapidly?

Much relieved to hear the CCTV from the area was checked. We were told some days ago that anything of interest had been erased. ?

A five ring circus with flying unicorns. Astonishing.

Ok. Let's take this case to any other country.  A girl goes out partying with 4 guys 1 her bf. The next day she wakes up in the room she shares with the guys and tells the woman at the hotel she was raped but is in too much of a hurry to travel to report it to the police and does not trust them.  Waits until she is I.A different location to process a theft claim.  What is wrong with this picture.  If you are traveling  and are the bf would you not push her to report it why if she went out with bf was she able to get raped

1 minute ago, kingstonkid said:

Ok. Let's take this case to any other country.  A girl goes out partying with 4 guys 1 her bf. The next day she wakes up in the room she shares with the guys and tells the woman at the hotel she was raped but is in too much of a hurry to travel to report it to the police and does not trust them.  Waits until she is I.A different location to process a theft claim.  What is wrong with this picture.  If you are traveling  and are the bf would you not push her to report it why if she went out with bf was she able to get raped

Interesting story. However, it bears little relation to the story under discussion.

1 minute ago, kingstonkid said:

I think that it was reported that she was travelling to Koh Phangan  to meet her BF. If that is the case then she would not have been with him on Koh Tao on the night of the alleged rape and robbery

17 hours ago, cleopatra2 said:

it seems extraordinary that they would dismiss her evidence before she has given it.

What evidence she has.

The facts are from more than 2 months ago, and she say UK forensics did DNA tests on the T-Shirt.

Did you see any report about the test results, as I assume they would have been completed in 2 months?

You will find that the CSI LA page offers many insights. ? Take a look.

An interview with the mother of the young British woman can be found there, as well as an interview with the woman associated with the hostel at which the young woman stayed. There are also copies of text messages sent by the woman associated with the hostel, asking the young British woman not to speak to the press, and more.

5 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

What evidence she has.

The facts are from more than 2 months ago, and she say UK forensics did DNA tests on the T-Shirt.

Did you see any report about the test results, as I assume they would have been completed in 2 months?

There are many unanswered questions. The problem is the police have come to a conclusion without asking any of them

3 hours ago, lanista said:

This will dampen the spirits of the tabloid newspapers hoping to get an exclusive  'big trouble in Thailand'  story.

Doubt if they will pay for the mother to fly out now.

The BIB moved to fast for the Brits....time will tell.

The mother is irrelevant. The alleged victim is the only one who can report the crime, since she is not a minor. And she won't.

Archived