Tourist police tell British Embassy evidence does not support assault allegation on Koh Tao

webfact

19 minutes ago, Crustyhk said:

There are many unanswered questions. The problem is the police have come to a conclusion without asking any of them

The police (that is, the Tourist Police) claim to have interviewed 200 witnesses! It's most impressive that the police managed to locate so many backpackers and tourists from all around the world who were at the location in Koh Tao in June this year AND interview each one in just a few days! AND the CCTV has been checked!!!! ???

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Esso49 said:

Our Embassy ? a total joke. They care nothing about their nationals only about the real estate value. A worthless bunch who employ more locals to screw up support of British Nationals then any other embassy I have had dealings with.  Put bluntly they are a disgrace to the the UK and offer minimal support to any UK national who needs it.  I have written 12 times to  UK MPs over 37 years here to complain at their ineptitude and lack of support and amazingly I received 2 responses, both of which was total faeces diatribe.  Just about typifies the British government's concern for their own,  rather promoting the values of others.

Totaly agree with you. 8 years ago I needed their help in a serious police matter and it turned out they were actually working against me. Scarey situation that I had to sort out with a lawyer, so my advise stay away and don't call your consulate rep unless you like to suffer!!!!

2 hours ago, mdmayes said:

Still waiting for DNA evidence to be processed with the British police. Why is BIB so quick to close case without the DNA results? When results come back which say the DNA was from a Thai national, BIB will make up another story.

What will it bring? If they find DNA it only shows that there was something. It can be a rape but it can be consensual sex also!!! The onliest what really were evidence for a rape were  the proof of raping drugs in her blood. But the chance for it is almost zero after 4-5 days.

Our Embassy ? a total joke. They care nothing about their nationals only about the real estate value. A worthless bunch who employ more locals to screw up support of British Nationals then any other embassy I have had dealings with.  Put bluntly they are a disgrace to the the UK and offer minimal support to any UK national who needs it.  I have written 12 times to  UK MPs over 37 years here to complain at their ineptitude and lack of support and amazingly I received 2 responses, both of which was total faeces diatribe.  Just about typifies the British government's concern for their own,  rather promoting the values of others.

Belgian Embassy is really working hard to steal the UK embassy’s crown for worse performance.
2 times employees of mine were refused business visa to go to a meeting in Belgium!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Here’s a little thought experiment:

If the rape did not in fact occur, what is this girl’s motivation for having her name internationally publicized as a victim of rape, her mom going through all the headaches and BS, etc? Most young people would not wish for such things. She’s not asking for financial restitution in any form, as far as I can tell.

Let’s look at the other side now. Why would business owners on Koh Tao, Thai government officials and RTP not want there to have been a credible report of rape on Koh Tao properly investigated and the perpetrator brought to justice?

I leave you to draw your own conclusions.

Just now, Dinobot said:

Here’s a little thought experiment:

If the rape did not in fact occur, what is this girl’s motivation for having her name internationally publicized as a victim of rape, her mom going through all the headaches and BS, etc? Most young people would not wish for such things. She’s not asking for financial restitution in any form, as far as I can tell.

Let’s look at the other side now. Why would business owners on Koh Tao, Thai government officials and RTP not want there to have been a credible report of rape on Koh Tao properly investigated and the perpetrator brought to justice?

I leave you to draw your own conclusions.

Ok, but can you tell us how the RTP can give a credible report of a rape if they don't be informed about it, not become any evidence, DNA, health check, CCTV ... because the girl not reported it in Thailand?

3 minutes ago, snowgard said:

Reading is not your strength, is it?

The girl run to Koh Phangan to the Fullmoon party!!! This was more important as to run for her life.

Can you provide evidence of the young woman having attended the party? Or is this just an insinuation put forth by the woman associated with the hostel, who also cast aspersions on the "virtue" of Western women generally, and drew a contrast with virtuous and dutiful Thai women such as she? ?

8 minutes ago, snowgard said:

Ok, but can you tell us how the RTP can give a credible report of a rape if they don't be informed about it, not become any evidence, DNA, health check, CCTV ... because the girl not reported it in Thailand?

Maybe the UK tabloids have cctv?

The Thai copy was quickly erased.

Hmmmm ?

20 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Well here's an interesting situation. The Thai police don't believe the girls story. However, No one at all, believes the Thai Police. And given everyone expected them to say they didn't believe the girls story, in fact were saying it before they even checked it, we are back to square one.

This is because in Thailand you are regarded as guilty unless proven innocent, in this case the girl was immediately guilty of lying, as no evidence was found (not even a report made) the guilty verdict still stands.

Ageee or disagree, but this is the mentality of the Thai police force, and nothing will change for the foreseeable future.

I for one would be happy to see the publisher of the story prosecuted, but only of course if the headline was somewhere along the lines of “girl makes claim of rape after visit to Koh Tao”, and not “girl raped in Koh Tao”.

There are far too many young western girls visiting Thailand who get too drunk and up making mistakes they regret, publishers like Samui Times need to be aware of this.

Likely story is girl gets blind drunk, goes behind boyfriends back and has sex with another guy (possibly Thai), loses her phone in the process which mummy bought for her. She gets home where mother & boyfriend are pi*sssd off demanding to know what happened, girl immediately looks for an out and cries rape, knowing she has a chance coz it happened in a place that has been known for such incidents, mother believes her as she is an angel and would never lie.

21 hours ago, Esso49 said:

Well, if it all, gets too irksome, you could always go home and picket parliament full-time.

In fact, I recommend that you do.

37 years?... bah humbug!

She did report it in Thailand, according to her. Only the Phangan police are saying she did not. Depends on who you’d rather believe.

15 minutes ago, Dinobot said:

She did report it in Thailand, according to her. Only the Phangan police are saying she did not. Depends on who you’d rather believe.

Due to the reporting being more of she claims to have reported the RTP refute , we are left to judge on the preponderance of evidence available.

On this it appears their is more evidence to support the woman than the RTP

For the RTP we have the reporting form and their say so

For the woman we have , acknowledgement from hostel owner/manager

Witness in the male companion

The visit to the bar late June by the RTP

The return of the male companion on 4th July, 

22 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

Our Embassy in Thailand is a (sad) joke - doubt if they even know where Koh Tao is   ☹️

As an ex-member of the esteemed British F and CO, I can state categorically that,,,,,,, you're probably right. The main job of the embassy staff is not to rock the boat in the host country.

44 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

Maybe the UK tabloids have cctv?

The Thai copy was quickly erased.

Hmmmm ?

What do you know about CCTV? The most bars have a system with 4-8 cameras and a harddisk with 1-2TB. If it run nonstop it need only 3-8 days that the files are overwritten. It depence on the video quality. So it is easy to explane why it not give cctv of this night. The Thai police could not save it because they were informed too late.

59 minutes ago, beyondstars said:

Can you provide evidence of the young woman having attended the party? Or is this just an insinuation put forth by the woman associated with the hostel, who also cast aspersions on the "virtue" of Western women generally, and drew a contrast with virtuous and dutiful Thai women such as she? ?

I don't must provide something. Fact is that witnesses told this to the police. Also it is fact that she flyed back to the UK first 7 days later. Maybe she was still shopping in BKK before. People running for their lives fly back on the next available plane, not just a week later.

11 minutes ago, snowgard said:

What do you know about CCTV? The most bars have a system with 4-8 cameras and a harddisk with 1-2TB. If it run nonstop it need only 3-8 days that the files are overwritten. It depence on the video quality. So it is easy to explane why it not give cctv of this night. The Thai police could not save it because they were informed too late.

The bar owner has acknowledged  the cctv was not working

How can you dispute the evidence . What evidence , High and Low tide, theya re as usual refusing to allow contact with the UK Policce who as far as I can gather have a full statement and the clothing with DNA. At no time will the RTP pursure this any further they have already made up their minds and are unwilling to accuse a THAI, I am sure if they wanted to they could find another foreign national to be accused though !!

37 minutes ago, Dinobot said:

Why did not she go to the hospital and report it? The doctors examined her and secured the evidence. Every hospital knows exactly what they must do in rape cases. And they would have called the police and there would be a case.

After all, she is no longer a little girl. If she can fly around the world on her own, she might even use her brain. Or just google on the internet. It's not that she would not find help with rape. Besides, her friends do not seem to be big lights either. Otherwise they would have helped her.

21 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

No surprises that the decision to sell that land [which was gifted to Britain anyway] came soon after the BREXIT vote had devalued the pound by 20%, so they will make an absolute killing on the exchange rate, strong baht to almost worthless pound. The Victorians would have had the whole of this useless shower horsewhipped, and then strapped shirtless to the back of a cannon in the hot sun for a day.

Whilst wearing corsets and suspenders, no doubt.

28 minutes ago, snowgard said:

30 minutes ago, snowgard said:

Quite possibly a bit more than you. 

If you have a normal video recording at 3mbs and do the calculations. 

3mbs x 60 secs x 60 mins x 24 hours. 

Divide into a two terabyte size drive.

77 days possible recording...

If it's turned on...???

I am surprised that there was a presentation made at all to the embassy. Was there a request for information placed? If so it would be a response from the G&T swilling embassy staff that would defy belief in speed of action. Methinks there is waaaay too much activity, and public activity at that, over this case. 

Archived