online 90 days reporting: date of arrival?

First time doing the online reporting ever, but did a few visa runs and trips before getting an extension of the O visa prior to expiry. So I have several arrival dates to Thailand. The last one would be a visa run dated 26 march that allowed a stay to 23 June (time when I did the extension of the visa). I put "others" for flight numbers and such. The only other plausible date would be the one when I arrived to Thailand by airplane more than 1 year ago, getting the original O visa after doing a trip to Vietnam. 

Edited by JestSetter

20 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

What part of 90 DAYS AFTER YOU LAST  ARRIVED IN THAILAND  do you not understand?

Well, YOU added the word "last". That I can understand! Details! Details! So, if your new car has a faulty break, it is the driver that is at fault for hitting the tree? Strange reaction!

Edited by JestSetter
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

What part of 90 DAYS AFTER YOU LAST  ARRIVED IN THAILAND  do you not understand?

yea wat dont you understand?  he bought a new car smacked into a tree now he cant remember anything.

11 minutes ago, JestSetter said:

Well, YOU added the word "last". That I can understand! Details! Details! So, if your new car has a faulty break, it is the driver that is at fault for hitting the tree? Strange reaction!

Just now, BigT73 said:

yea wat dont you understand?  he bought a new car smacked into a tree now he cant remember anything.

Deary me, it must be very exasperating for you having to deal with stupid people all the time. On the form you are asked "date of arrival in Thailand". I arrived in 2011. I arrived again a few times.

Keep the contempt muted, shall we?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, cooked said:

Deary me, it must be very exasperating for you having to deal with stupid people all the time. On the form you are asked "date of arrival in Thailand". I arrived in 2011. I arrived again a few times.

Keep the contempt muted, shall we?

But, I  don't think I am stupid. I am just more logical than others. My prof. at university all the way to the Master's degree thought so. But, who knows how they got their degrees? LOL

Edited by JestSetter

One of the jobs of a bureaucrat is to design forms that are as clear as possible, so that they don't have to get these extra questions. Of course, there is no penalty for them. Their day is 8 to 5. One more question or one less, it does not matter. 

This is not the first time that I see ambiguous wording, but while I think this a trick to exploit the foreigners and get extra money from them, I also think that it is sheer incompetence (and they cover it up by saying that foreigners are stupid, which, of course, they don't say straight to our face!) Not to say that this does not happen elsewhere, but I have no experience with Western immigration officers outside of airports. I wish LOS had suggestion boxes. (Btw, where I am, they do have one. Regrettably, it is located where one does not feel depositing a missive fearing a refusal of a visa application after they have reviewed the camera recordings. I know it sounds harsh and petty, but I don't think it is outside the realm of possibilities that some could be so.)

Thanks for the support those who did offer it. I will help others after my trip to the office for an explanation.

1 hour ago, JestSetter said:

One of the jobs of a bureaucrat is to design forms that are as clear as possible, so that they don't have to get these extra questions.

They couldn't even translate the back side of the arrival card which is used by thousands of people every day properly, and when they made a new version of the arrival cards they still didn't correct their mistake, it still says "For non-Thai resident only". So you are really expecting too much from Thai bureaucrats ?

36 minutes ago, jackdd said:

They couldn't even translate the back side of the arrival card which is used by thousands of people every day properly, and when they made a new version of the arrival cards they still didn't correct their mistake, it still says "For non-Thai resident only". So you are really expecting too much from Thai bureaucrats ?

Yes, so true. They make so many errors. I have one TM6 card's back where the stamp is covering the whole rules/explanations. I mean there is a whole big square space  that is supposed to be stamped. How hard is this? They also give back the extension without explanation and I am not 100% sure that everything is right, that they put all in there, that I am guilty of something. But, I remember going to the border and the IO getting all annoyed because I missed putting a comma in the address. She had to do the whole card again. How so stupid can you be? Beside, you would think that they would have my address from past visa runs as a reference. Well! No! She needs, they need to enter in the system every time. I bet they laugh when we put USA when they ask our nationalities, thinking we are so dumb. No! We are tired of filling stupid forms. The officers overseeing these systems are just as bad for not improving the efficiencies. But, like I said, they do not care. 8 to 5. Next. And if you wanted to complain, you can be sure they would retaliate with something more oppressive because they cannot take criticism.

Edited by JestSetter

17 hours ago, JestSetter said:

Thanks for the help for those who did provided constructive support.

I did follow the step 1 to the letter and used that March date that was advised I use, but I got a message to go see immigration in person. 

When you did the extension in June, did they give you a new 90 day report date.

22 hours ago, JestSetter said:

The last one would be a visa run dated 26 march that allowed a stay to 23 June (time when I did the extension of the visa)

Your last arrival to Thailand was 26 March, admission to stay until June 23.

As June 23 was a Saturday you likely did your one year (?) extension some time before that? When exactly?

The first extension usually includes the 90 day report.

You haven't got a printed slip referring to this?

We now have Sep 1. If your last report was in mid or late June, why would you expect that a 90 day report would work now? Too early.

Edited by KhunBENQ

18 hours ago, jackdd said:

"For non-Thai resident only."

Is the wrong translation the fact it should be "residents"

Can't see anything wrong. Please enlighten.

21 hours ago, JestSetter said:

I did follow the step 1 to the letter and used that March date that was advised I use, but I got a message to go see immigration in person. 

21 hours ago, JestSetter said:

That's because you 'overstayed' your 90 day report.

Edited by Vacuum

51 minutes ago, Toosetinmyways said:

"For non-Thai resident only."

Is the wrong translation the fact it should be "residents" 

Can't see anything wrong. Please enlighten.

In Thai it says "For foreigners", the translation "For non-Thai citizens only." would be more correct, but the correct translation to be really clear about the meaning would be "For people entering Thailand using a non-Thai passport"

"For non-Thai resident only." could mean several different things, it could mean foreigners who are residents, which would exclude tourists, because tourists are no residents. Or it could mean people who are not residing in Thailand, which would exclude expats but would include Thais living abroad.

Edited by jackdd

41 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Except it was done with his first extension in June (exact date unclear).

In this case he might be too early.

Questions, questions for a long weekend :biggrin:

I am out here.

No idea how such a simple matter can be blown up like this.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Except it was done with his first extension in June (exact date unclear).

In this case he might be too early.

Questions, questions for a long weekend :biggrin:

I am out here.

No idea how such a simple matter can be blown up like this.

Yes, to keep it simple, no one can stay more than 90 days in Thailand without reporting to the authorities. No matter what visa or extension you're on.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Thais can. Foreigners with permanent residency also

Are you one of them? No, didn't think so. You, as every other visitors, have to leave the country after 90 days, or report to the authorities (if your visa/extension allows you to stay in the country more than 90 days. 90 days, easy to remember. :smile:

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Is a foreigner with permanent residency on an extension of stay?

if not then Vacuum was correct.

If you want to call permanent residency a visa or extension would be a matter of definition ?

But a Thai who uses a foreign passport to enter Thailand and thus might be on some kind of visa is also not required to do the reporting

Edited by jackdd

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

But a Thai who uses a foreign passport to enter Thailand and thus might be on some kind of visa is also not required to do the reporting

Yes they do. If they get extensions they also have to make 90 day reports.

If they enter on a foreign passport they abide by the same rules as foreigners.

'For Non Thai residents only' means for any foreigner who don't have permanent residency.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Maybe he hasn't if the answer to the question posed in the following post is in the affirmative:-

12 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

When you did the extension in June, did they give you a new 90 day report date.

16 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Yes they do. If they get extensions they also have to make 90 day reports.

If they enter on a foreign passport they abide by the same rules as foreigners. 

Nearly every section of the Thai immigration act contains the word "alien", this act just doesn't apply to you (might have a few exceptions, but 90 day reporting is definitely only for "aliens") if you are Thai. Even if a Thai entered with a foreign passport he is still Thai and not an "alien".

8 hours ago, jackdd said:

Nearly every section of the Thai immigration act contains the word "alien", this act just doesn't apply to you (might have a few exceptions, but 90 day reporting is definitely only for "aliens") if you are Thai. Even if a Thai entered with a foreign passport he is still Thai and not an "alien".

If a Thai enters on a foreign passport they must have a Visa or will get a 30 day stamp, because they are entering as an 'alien' under the Immigration Act. If they are Thai and want to be treated as such they should have used their Thai passport for entry.

I know a Brit with a now 8 year old son, dual nationality Thai/British.

At age 5 whilst in the UK his Thai passport expired.

They re-entered Thailand on his UK passport.

They have since failed to acquire a new Thai passport.

His son now 8, remains in Thailand on annual extensions and makes 90 day reports.

If a Thai chooses to enter as an 'alien' on a foreign passport, then they are at fault, not Immigration.

Lots of threads have highlighting this problem.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

If a Thai enters on a foreign passport they must have a Visa or will get a 30 day stamp, because they are entering as an 'alien' under the Immigration Act. If they are Thai and want to be treated as such they should have used their Thai passport for entry.

I know a Brit with a now 8 year old son, dual nationality Thai/British.

At age 5 whilst in the UK his Thai passport expired.

They re-entered Thailand on his UK passport. 

They have since failed to acquire a new Thai passport.

His son now 8, remains in Thailand on annual extensions and makes 90 day reports.

If a Thai chooses to enter as an 'alien' on a foreign passport, then they are at fault, not Immigration.

Lots of threads have highlighting this problem.

Just because he can do it does not mean he has to do it.

The threads where people talk about this "problem" are caused by people who tell them they have to abide to the rules for foreigners - which they don't - and from people who made the wrong choice in the first place. In the case which you mentioned the son should have used his expired Thai passport to enter Thailand.

Your friends son could just stop getting extensions and doing 90 day reports, if immigration police ever asks about it show them that he is Thai (or show them once in advance so they can put it in their computer).

As long as he is a child he can't be fined anyway, so he could even just leave with his UK passport. If he is over 15 when he leaves he should have a Thai passport before leaving and just use this one (He could also use his UK passport for leaving when over 15 and just show his Thai id card or passport and he can't be fined, but who knows if an immigration officer would try to make problems)

Edited by jackdd

7 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Just because he can do it does not mean he has to do it.

The threads where people talk about this "problem" are caused by people who tell them they have to abide to the rules for foreigners - which they don't - and from people who made the wrong choice in the first place. In the case which you mentioned the son should have used his expired Thai passport to enter Thailand.

Your friends son could just stop getting extensions and doing 90 day reports, if immigration police ever asks about it show them that he is Thai (or show them once in advance so they can put it in their computer).

As long as he is a child he can't be fined anyway, so he could even just leave with his UK passport. If he is over 15 when he leaves he should have a Thai passport before leaving and just use this one.

Read the topic just started and discussing the problem and importance of entering on a Thai passport.

Read UJ post #4 very carefully if you don't believe me.