advice -dead thai wife children refuse to sell the house...

evilebxxx

Hello,

My Thai wife died 2 years ago at home here in Udon Thai, I have reside here in the house bough for us over 25 years ago, and land of 225 talang wah, I now want to sell house, but her 2 gown up children refuse to agree to that, also stolen all 3 land titles when they visiting here , I also told them that I would split the money 50 50, but noway they will accept that, what to do?

• Like 1

Need more info from OP. 

Best advice is to get a good lawyer , and be prepared for a long fight in court.

But if you do not own the house/land I can't really see any progress here. 

Edited by balo

Well it appears to me that you are still living in this house for free, and have all the rights for use of this land. Under Thai Law you are not allowed to own this property. Without a Will, or a simular document registered at Land Title, like a Usufruct, after one year you have no rights to it at all, and could find yourself out on the street with nothing. 

It also appears to me that if you and your wife owned this house for the last 25 years, then these kids must have grew up in that house to. There may be a lot of sentimental value attached to this house, and memories of there mother for the kids, that you are not seeing here, and perhaps why they don't want to sell this property. I think one of the most difficult things I would have to do right now, is drive past my Parents House in which I grew up in, who passed on, knowing it was sold and belongs to somebody else now.

It seems to me your motivation to sell this house is strickly for money, where the kids motivation may be different. If it s for money to then it only makes sense to wait it out until you pass on, and they would get 100% and not 50%. I know I would if I was younger.    

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Donaldo said:

Maybe those that are toying with the idea of moving to Thailand should do some careful research before risking their life savings.

As the saying goes "Be prepared to lose weight when you come to Thailand" Because more than likely you are going to be a lot lighter in your pockets when you eventually have to leave. 

A: I lost weight in Thailand B: Wow, how much did you lose? A: 100,000 and a house. 

Edited by vinegarbase

This is an object lesson for those who have married a Thai national and have significant funds tied up in a home.
Bottom line: while your Thai national 'significant other' is still living you absolutely need to obtain a usufruct contract giving you legal right to remain on the land until you pass away or to be a party in the sale of the land and premise - and - a last will and testament that legally states exactly what assets belong to you and which belong to other family members of the testor. 
In my case, I have a usufruct giving me the right to remain on the land until I die, and in my wife's will everything on the land (buildings, vehicles, any made-made structures, 'chattel' and personal possession of my wife belongs to me while the ownership of the land passes to my step-son.  In the will all other family members other than my step son are explicitly excluded from any inheritance.  We have sat down with her son and our daughter-in-law and have discussed this.  I help raise her kid from the age of 14, I put him through school and and have treated him like my son.  We have a good father-son relationship.  And I have our attorney retained in case anything happens to my wife and he'll represent me in probate, and if need be, will take action against any extended family who for some reason come out of the woodwork and state they have some claim to her assets, which nobody does.
That's the way it should be done.  I know, so few people want to address that fact that we all eventually die, so they put activities like creating a usufruct and a will off until it's too late. 
So the important lesson here is - don't wait!  If you are like the Op and have not done this - do it as soon as possible.

Op, get a lawyer asap who can represent you in probate and protect your interests. 

Edited by connda
  • Like 2

Pin this Topic!  

Then put up giant posters with a link to it in every airport arrivals and baggage claim area.

Sure this happens everywhere, and in most families where succession is not planned and documented in advance.  

But everywhere don't have Thai 'justice' to sort out the mess. 

That's  why all expats should invest in junk bonds before property of any description here. 

Chok dee. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, vinegarbase said:

As the saying goes "Be prepared to lose weight when you come to Thailand" Because more than likely you are going to be a lot lighter in your pockets when you eventually have to leave. 

A: I lost weight in Thailand B: Wow, how much did you lose? A: 100,000 and a house. 

As the saying goes, never invest more than you can afford to lose.

9 minutes ago, vinegarbase said:

As the saying goes, never invest more than you can afford to lose.

I do hope you registered that you may use the land and properties on it untill the day you decide it not to usr or die. 

Thus supposed to be done at the land office and registered on the land plot(s).

Costs now 300 thb in the past less or even free to register.

This was and is the way to make able to stay and also makes the plot worthless for thai.

The 50/50 is resonable and probably told to them by a lawyer.

In most western countries father get 50% and the children the rest if your are cut out by the last will.

Or father get 50% and the other 50% is devided by father and the children.

In general the last will will ask the childeren to respect the request to let all as it is abd wait till father dies before selling.

Personaly in this situation.

You invested and long time ago.

The plot and the house on it will have

More value then the sum invested with intrest.

Sell the place and keep a good relation with the children.

Just tell them 50/50 is not coreect in your eyes and it should be

50% for you.

Ahd the other 50% should be devidee by the children and you.

They will understsnd that. Or have a letter or last will which makes that they can tell you that you where excluded by your fromer wife.

Also take note what was before marriage is excluded of the part you have to share and is added to you if you can proof this with documents.

like a car you had before marriage and is replaced during marriage this  then car is then  excluded if all is well documented.

Doubt this is the case in your case.

Bewise take the 50% that is locked up.

Discuse the part you under normal circumstances have in the other 50%.

Basee in what you wrotr to me he children seem to be reasonable and froget this share of you.

Lots of wisdom and good luck.

• Confused 1