Video: Why you need to be especially careful at a Thai green light

webfact

Video: Why you need to be especially careful at a Thai green light

3pm.jpg

Translation: Waiting for green/Crossing the clear road/ Smash //Picture: Daily News

CCTV footage from Nakorn Ratchasima showed why drivers need to be careful when going through a green light - especially at deserted intersections at night.

You never know when some idiot is hell bent on whizzing through a red light.

On Saturday Thanapha Bolan, 45, was on her way home from her shift at a hotel in downtown Korat.

She was obeying the law to the letter but pulled her Honda City out straight into the path of an Isuzu pick-up being driven by a 30 year old man.

Fortunately both drivers and a female passenger in the pick-up were only slightly injured. But their vehicles were severely damaged.

3pm1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

The accident happened at the Nakorn Ratchasima zoo intersection on Route 304 at 10pm on Saturday night.

Thanapha had just passed through a police checkpoint and the CCTV showed a rescue vehicle quickly on the scene.

Daily news are conducting a long running campaign to increase road safety awareness.

Their three caption still of the accident read:

Waiting for green/Crossing the clear road/ Smash.

Thaivisa notes that there is one thing wrong with the caption: despite the green light the road was not clear.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-09-03

Any red light jumpers, and there are many of them, and they know very well what they're doing, deserves to be pulverised by a vehicle who has the right of way, and if enough of them will meet their untimly demise because they 're to impatient to wait  aminut or so, maybe the penny will drop one day...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Any red light jumpers, and there are many of them, and they know very well what they're doing, deserves to be pulverised by a vehicle who has the right of way, and if enough of them will meet their untimly demise because they 're to impatient to wait  aminut or so, maybe the penny will drop one day...

Think it's called

' The Darwin Penny '

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, LennyW said:

Technically you are correct, however, Red does mean stop - this also a basic that all too frequently is not understood!!!!

Yes, RED does mean STOP - it's not just an advisory..

AMBER also means STOP but TiT so here means FLOOR THE THROTTLE!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

It seems from the way the article is written that the general assumption is that a green light means go. It does not. It means you can proceed IF the road is clear. When even such basics are not being understood, it is no wonder these accidents happen.

Fair play, the truck driver is an idiot, but if the woman had looked, rather than proceed blithely, the accident would not have happened.

Here, here! I was wondering how much further down the postings I'd need to go before someone stated the bleeding obvious . . . and a moderator, too!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LennyW said:

It seems from the way the article is written that the general assumption is that a green light means go. It does not. It means you can proceed IF the road is clear. When even such basics are not being understood, it is no wonder these accidents happen.

Fair play, the truck driver is an idiot, but if the woman had looked, rather than proceed blithely, the accident would not have happened.

1 hour ago, LennyW said:

Technically you are correct, however, Red does mean stop - this also a basic that all too frequently is not understood!!!!

I disagree! There's no 'technically' about at all. The paragraph below is directly copied from the UK Highway Code and is the essence of what 'defensive driving' is all about:

'GREEN means you may go on if the way is clear. Take special care if you intend to turn left or right and give way to pedestrians who are crossing'.

In this instance, the pickup driver is clearly at fault, but had the lady used defensive driving techniques, as prescribed above, the accident could have been avoided.

And there is another factor at play here as well. Note the very dark tinting on the lady's windows. I'm sure that such dark tinting contributes to nighttime accidents here as well.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Surely i can be the only Ols chap on TV that was taught Green n Red mean obay if safe to do so. Hence we grew up thiking someone may jump the Lights .Here they thing Green means Gun It.Exeption being when it turns Green and a Hundred Weegoes crawl over.![emoji597]

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Normally when waiting in BKK for a traffic light I wont go first as there are always red light jumpers.. these are not a huge problem (annoying but that is it). But the kind that jumps a red light at night when its been green for the other party for a while are the most dangerous ones. I despise them.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And how often do we see drivers ignoring the red light even in day time in Bangkok even next to the police booth?

And how often does the police do exactly nothing?

Normal Thai behavior - for the drivers and the police.

Yea I am amazed that the police does not do a thing.. it would mean real work for them.. i guess they hate that.

• Like 1

I think a lot depends on where we grew up and started to drive. In some countries you can put the foot down at green and there is no problem. In other countries people are used to wait a moment and let's look carefully.

I always shudder when I see tourists in Thailand at a zebra crossing read to go as soon as their light turns green...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think a lot depends on where we grew up and started to drive. In some countries you can put the foot down at green and there is no problem. In other countries people are used to wait a moment and let's look carefully.

I always shudder when I see tourists in Thailand at a zebra crossing read to go as soon as their light turns green...

Like i said i quickly got used to the red light jumpers at the end of a green cycle for them. The other kind that jumps at night after the light has been red (for them) for a while are far more dangerous and you can't always see them come.

I was on my way back from the Old bung sam ran fishing place to home at 4am on my bike and i was almost T boned by one of those idiots. It really scared me because I really did not see it and did not expect it. Different when waiting for a green.. then watching for the red light jumpers.. that has become second nature.

• Like 1