Russian tourist snatches grilled chicken, jumps into sea off Pattaya

webfact

2 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

Thus showing the uselessness of testing for drugs that don't do what alcohol routinely does.  Drugs should be legalized.  

A [qualified] 'Agree' on that one.  There are more benign drugs than alcohol that should be left out of the legal system.  There are also some that damage anyone associated with the user, not only the user themselves.  

Sometimes I wonder whether it would work if the posession/use of the drug itself is the wrong thing to punish, but the behaviour of the person using it (i.e. drink, but do no harm to others, or toke, but ...).  If you get cabbaged and become a social nuisance or danger, the that perhaps should be the focal point.

In this instance he was a nuisance, and a danger only to himself (except perhaps rescue workers).

2 minutes ago, Shiver said:

Sometimes I wonder whether it would work if the posession/use of the drug itself is the wrong thing to punish, but the behaviour of the person using it (i.e. drink, but do no harm to others, or toke, but ...).  If you get cabbaged and become a social nuisance or danger, the that perhaps should be the focal point.

Yeah, that's where I think enforcement should focus.  If drugs are causing a problem, it's a mental health issue, not a crime per se.  Most drug-related crimes are either "turf wars" as the artificially high price of drugs due to criminalization encourages smugglers and gangs to flourish, or else petty theft or perhaps mugging as addicts try to get money to finance their habit.  In both cases, making the drug illegal moves the needle the wrong direction.  Plus it makes drug users turn more violent and learn new criminal dskills.  

18 hours ago, 7of9rocks said:

"...Police said they had tested his urine for drug use, but the results were negative."

i wonder how much that cost?   ?

if he actually tested negative is cost the police a lot as they'd have no basis for extortion

alcohol, notably alcoholism can basically imitate whatever any illegal drug can do

Edited by atyclb
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

He stole  products. The products cost money. At the very least he should pay for the products.

The Thai who jumped in to retrieve him, could have died had the Russian pulled him down. Perhaps a time in jail to contemplate his idiocy would do him some good.

You wouldn’t be American by any chance? They incarcerate more people than anyone else ... and seem to be obsessed with punishing people irrespective of their mental health, long sentences even for minor offences. Pointless.

The Russian man behaved bizarrely, he may well be ill, or might even be the victim of a spiked drink (an increasingly common occurrence). He’d need to be assessed. He didn’t eat the food, he jumped into the sea with it, not the actions of a regular thief. Two Thai’s come out of this story well. The vendor who recognised that the guy was not right and let it go and the man who fished him out the sea. They demonstrated a compassion sadly lacking these days.

Edited by AlexRich

22 hours ago, Darcula said:
22 hours ago, webfact said:

the man had grabbed 10 sticks of chicken and run toward the pier, before jumping into the sea and starting to swim further offshore

Have you ever felt that you wanted to satay and wanted to leave at the same time?

bravissimo 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

How does this Russian get to stay in Thailand; certainly he qualifies as 'bad ones' out. to not kick him out of Thailand makes a mockery of their slogan of good ones in and bad ones out. Yet, I could be off a bit.

So you've never been intoxicated in Thailand?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It’s funny this ruskies story reminds me of a French fella in London. I’m involved with a teacher recruitment firm in London and we had this French PE teacher come in to register to start at a school next day. Asked him for his crb and was handed 3 pages. I looked at him and he was all sheepish. Oh hear we go, what’s he done. A clear enhanced crb should only be a page. He was at the Notting hill carnival whilst still at uni doing his pgce and got smashed basically. Took a bit of chicken as he he was dancing past a stall. Coppers were there and saw him and went to get him. He carried on dancing. So what he had on his crb was theft, resisting police arrest and possession of class a and b drugs( he had weed and pills on him). All in a few minutes. I said you know you’re going to have to explain this to every school you apply to for the rest of your life. He knew. Bummer. School still took him though 

4 hours ago, atyclb said:

if he actually tested negative is cost the police a lot as they'd have no basis for extortion

alcohol, notably alcoholism can basically imitate whatever any illegal drug can do

The difference between an alcoholic and a (eg) coke user:

They'll both steal $10 from you, but in the morning the alcoholic will apologise whereas the coke user will help you look for it.

[insert drug of choice to suit your audience].

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shiver said:

The difference between an alcoholic and a (eg) coke user:

They'll both steal $10 from you, but in the morning the alcoholic will apologise whereas the coke user will help you look for it.

[insert drug of choice to suit your audience].

Possibly the most unfunny and incomprehensible joke I have ever heard.