I am almost ready to Pull the plug and leave

Ban Phe Dezza

1 hour ago, Ks45672 said:

Condo fees (includes electricity) $396

Property tax $120

Food for a single person. About 60% of the stuff is organic $700

Unlimited 75mb internet $45

Netflix $10.99 (oh, the selection here)

You pay more fees on the condo you own, than I make in mortgage repayments on my 3-bed house in Chiang Mai ($390 inc electricity/water)

Unlimited 3BB 100mb fibre $25 (no need for netflix, I know how to use torrents)

Smartphone unlimited 1mb data plan $3/month (AIS netmarathon)

Food around $15-$20/week ($60-$80/month), I make everything myself from local markets and stores.

Alcohol is my biggest 'luxury' item, $100/month, mainly beer.

Edited by BritManToo

9 hours ago, Shiver said:

Oh how I wish I'd been here at that time with that kind of income x that number of properties at that exchange rate.... and then '97, which I was completely unaware of.  Buggr, you miss all the opportunities you don't take part in I guess.

I was there, didn't matter to me, my wife got almost everything in the divorce.

Wish I'd had less property and more in 'liquid assets'.

When ready to 'pull the plug and leave', liquidity is important.

Edited by BritManToo

You have given misleading information as with the Australian pension being paid overseas, you are paid at 4 week intervals not monthly intervals so you will receive 13 payments in the 12 month period which still takes you over the 40,000baht per month required for a marriage extension. At a guess I would say that I am on the same pension rate as you are and, yes, this payment did go below the 40,000baht but when you do the correct mathematics over the full year you are still above the 40,000baht a month. It is incredible how many people work their pension out incorrectly on a monthly basis instead of the correct 4 weekly basis. Even if you were paid at the 39,882baht rate that you received this payment for the full 12 months you would still be getting 43,205.5baht per month. 39,882 every 4 weeks times 13 payments is 518,466baht per year and divided by 12 months equals 43,205.5baht per month.

3 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

First of all you are comparing Toronto to Chiang Mai? Seriously? 

I also did say if you own your place, bud.

Regardless, these sites are highly inaccurate as they assume local standard of living vs. Western standard of living.

According to these very inaccurate sites, the average condo in Bangkok is a lot cheaper than Toronto, but of course they include a complete unlivable condos in their averages that even homeless people wouldn't be put  in Canada.

Compare the price of condo in Ekkamai built by Cambodian slave labor vs a condo in downtown Toronto and Ekkamai will be more expensive.

The only thing cheaper I find in Thailand is transportation, accommodation (not always true), the price of chicken and for some reason Ritter chocolate. Of course, local fruits will be cheaper too.

Anyway, here's my budget for my first month in Toronto. I live right smack downtown. It's supposedly the most expensive city in Canada.

Condo fees (includes electricity) $396

Property tax $120

Food for a single person. About 60% of the stuff is organic $700

Unlimited 75mb internet $45

Netflix $10.99 (oh, the selection here)

No cell phone. It's a ripoff.

Total $1272or 31,747 baht going by today's exchange rate.

Cheap as chips.

wheres your mortgage payment or rent?

if you own your condo outright thats not cheaper, thats money you would have had otherwise if you lived in thailand without the canadian property.

you also need to include the amount you could be making off that money if you had invested it, as a monthly expense.

28 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

You have given misleading information as with the Australian pension being paid overseas, you are paid at 4 week intervals not monthly intervals so you will receive 13 payments in the 12 month period which still takes you over the 40,000baht per month required for a marriage extension. At a guess I would say that I am on the same pension rate as you are and, yes, this payment did go below the 40,000baht but when you do the correct mathematics over the full year you are still above the 40,000baht a month. It is incredible how many people work their pension out incorrectly on a monthly basis instead of the correct 4 weekly basis. Even if you were paid at the 39,882baht rate that you received this payment for the full 12 months you would still be getting 43,205.5baht per month. 39,882 every 4 weeks times 13 payments is 518,466baht per year and divided by 12 months equals 43,205.5baht per month.

With the Australian Stat Dec, you should state;

The period and amount payable.

The total annually.

Immigration take the annual total, convert to baht, then divide by 12.

If there was an error in the calculation it would be the OP's error on the Stat Dec.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

You pay more fees on the condo you own, than I make in mortgage repayments on my 3-bed house in Chiang Mai ($390 inc electricity/water)

Unlimited 3BB 100mb fibre $25 (no need for netflix, I know how to use torrents)

Smartphone unlimited 1mb data plan $3/month (AIS netmarathon)

Food around $15-$20/week ($60-$80/month), I make everything myself from local markets and stores.

Alcohol is my biggest 'luxury' item, $100/month, mainly beer.

All your western ingredients are $15-$20 a week? You make everything from local markets - well that's not western ingredients then, is it?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

All your western ingredients are $15-$20 a week?

Yok, all-purpose flour 24bht/Kg, Bread flour 32bht/kg, Whole Wheat flour 38bht/kg, butter 65bht/500gm.

Makro spaghetti 77bht/Kg, Nestle Cornflakes 99bht/500gm, frozen chips 99bht/2kg

Tesco chicken breasts 34bht/350gm, pork 68bht/400gm.

Tomatoes/onions/fruit/vegetables around 20bht/bag depending on season.

Cooked sticky rice/steamed rice 5bht/200gm from the local rice shops.

(1kg flour = 5x 500gm loaves of bread)

Not sure what you eat, how much you eat, or where you shop.

I'm eating too much and having to try and cut down before my weight gets out of control.

Edited by BritManToo

10 hours ago, Shiver said:

Surprised.  In UK I did "buy to let" (mid 90's) before it was a 'thing', and had 70% mortgage (buy cash/renovate/mortgage/next property) with roughly 1.5x monthly income to mortgage (since nothing is ever 100% rented).  This was North West England suburban which is hardly the centre of high prices, but even then (more than 2 decades ago) it was perhaps 15-16K per month in todays exchange rate.  Oh how I wish I'd been here at that time with that kind of income x that number of properties at that exchange rate.... and then '97, which I was completely unaware of.  Buggr, you miss all the opportunities you don't take part in I guess.

A former business partner however who was here in Thailand said that in his country (Aus) it was the other way around, in that you pay less for rent than mortgage since you'll never own it.  The UK (then) was "you're not committing to 25 years, so there's a premium".  I guess YMMV depending of quite a few factors (location, timing, social attitude and more).

The rent I get is more than the mortgage payments, so I'm not complaining. But it is much less than my condo rent (40k per month)

6 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

With the Australian Stat Dec, you should state;

The period and amount payable.

The total annually.

Immigration take the annual total, convert to baht, then divide by 12.

If there was an error in the calculation it would be the OP's error on the Stat Dec.

The last payment on the pension was 39,882baht and as I said that is a 4 week payment not a monthly payment and even if every payment was 39,882baht every 4 weeks his annual payment would be 518,466baht and if you divided that by 12 months you would have an income of 43,205.5baht per month. You are getting everything wrong because you have not read to complete thread. At no time has the OP stated anything about the Stat Dec all he has mentioned is his last pension payment being below 40,000baht but the only mistake that he made was by stating that it was a monthly payment instead of it being a 4 weekly payment.

9 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

The last payment on the pension was 39,882baht and as I said that is a 4 week payment not a monthly payment and even if every payment was 39,882baht every 4 weeks his annual payment would be 518,466baht and if you divided that by 12 months you would have an income of 43,205.5baht per month. You are getting everything wrong because you have not read to complete thread. At no time has the OP stated anything about the Stat Dec all he has mentioned is his last pension payment being below 40,000baht but the only mistake that he made was by stating that it was a monthly payment instead of it being a 4 weekly payment.

The OP is obviously using the monthly income method, or the combination method, so he needs to make a Stat Dec.

If he was using the 800,000K in the bank method his income wouldn't matter and no need to mention it.

Edited by Tanoshi

38 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

All your western ingredients are $15-$20 a week? You make everything from local markets - well that's not western ingredients then, is it?

Define your idea of western ingredients.

We spend 2 - 2,500 baht a week for a family of 5.

Chicken, pork, fish, potatoes, bread, rice, veg, fruit and crisps, cake and candy for the kids.

650 baht a week ($20) for a single person is very doable and Britman Too is probably over indulging if he makes everything from raw ingredients.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

Define your idea of western ingredients.
We spend 2 - 2,500 baht a week for a family of 5.
Chicken, pork, fish, potatoes, bread, rice, veg, fruit and crisps, cake and candy for the kids.

650 baht a week ($20) for a single person is very doable and Britman Too is probably over indulging if he makes everything from raw ingredients.

Western ingredients are not from local Thai markets.

Definition of western ingredients would be imported items from the West.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

I haven't read the rest of the replies, but 40,000 is more than I lived in LOS on, and enjoyed my life. However, I had insurance and the 800,000 in an untouched account for extensions, so not included in the living expenses.

Of course, 40,000 is nowhere near enough to include happy endings on a regular basis, and I do not have expensive tastes in food or drink.

9 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

Western ingredients are not from local Thai markets.

Definition of western ingredients would be imported items from the West.

Such as?

We buy cheese, thousand island dressing, chocolate, cereals, jam, peaches ...….all imported.

Meats, potatoes, rice, veg, fruit are part of a universal staple diet.

There's actually a larger choice of fruit and veg here than in the west.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, inThailand said:

What is it with the almost weekly departure announcements? Do these guys make a Facebook announcement everytime they take a dump? 

6 minutes ago, transam said:

Mrs.Trans does, with photos...?

That's only on her Fartbook account Trans.

Such as?
We buy cheese, thousand island dressing, chocolate, cereals, jam, peaches ...….all imported.

Meats, potatoes, rice, veg, fruit are part of a universal staple diet.
There's actually a larger choice of fruit and veg here than in the west.

The local meet here is garbage, have you seen the way the keep it at the local markets, out in the heat with flies etc all over it - you’re welcome to that, it’s a breeding ground for germs. Thais have no idea how to keep meat.

Yes, agree the selection of fruits here is tremendous.

On 9/7/2018 at 8:53 AM, BritManToo said:

I was there, didn't matter to me, my wife got almost everything in the divorce.

Wish I'd had less property and more in 'liquid assets'.

When ready to 'pull the plug and leave', liquidity is important.

I'm maybe 95% liquid in holdings.  I buy, but for others, and have no real desire to 'own' anything.  Some of that is for practicality and not knowing the future, and some just because it's a nimble mental approach.  Downside is you forgo any feeling of permanence, which is an illusion anyhow at best so far as I can tell.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2018 at 4:10 PM, BritManToo said:

62 years old now, one serious illness leading to three nights in a Thai hospital, total cost 4,000bht.

My next big illness will be death, hopefully, that will be free.

At 62 I enjoyed near perfect health, at 76 not so much. If you think nothing bad medically is going to happen to you between 62 and the grave you have wishful thinking.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, JaiLai said:

The local meet here is garbage, have you seen the way the keep it at the local markets, out in the heat with flies etc all over it - you’re welcome to that, it’s a breeding ground for germs. Thais have no idea how to keep meat.

Tesco and other local shops sell shrink-wrapped meat.

Never had a problem with Tesco chicken breasts, pork steaks and pork mince.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Tesco and other local shops sell shrink-wrapped meat.

Never had a problem with Tesco chicken breasts, pork steaks and pork mince.

Hold on buttercup, thought you shopped at local markets? ( post #249 ), never seen anything shrink wrapped there....

On 9/6/2018 at 12:00 AM, BritManToo said:

I've given up eating beef in Thailand, like you said, quality is generally poor no matter how much you pay.

Pork, chicken, fish, seafood all really cheap (and good quality) compared to the UK.

They don't know how to properly age beef.  The Canadians and Americans are best at aging good beef.  I don't know about the Europeans or Aussies..  I would guess the Aussies know proper beef aging also.