I am almost ready to Pull the plug and leave

Ban Phe Dezza

2 hours ago, VincentRJ said:

I didn't realize that Thailand has such a good social security system that even includes free pharmaceuticals. I guess all those elderly foreigners who can't afford private health insurance should be looking for the appropriate Thai wife.  ?

I agree. Government employees get free medical coverage, including pharmaceuticals, dental services etc, when they are working and for the rest of their retired life. Their spouses (even if non-residents) are covered too. Marrying a Thai ex-government worker (such as a teacher or nurse) is advantageous if you can swing it and are worried about your health while living in Thailand. 

• Like 2

“ I don’t see any major difficulty in Australia...”

Even with the energy supplement, Australian pensioners are complaining that they cannot afford heating & cooling costs.
You provided specific details of current Australian rental subsidies, could you do the same for energy and also advise current Aussie (any major retailer will do) electricity tariffs based on a quarterly bill with consumption of let’s say 1,000 KWh?
Thanks in advance.

55 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

I agree. Government employees get free medical coverage, including pharmaceuticals, dental services etc, when they are working and for the rest of their retired life. Their spouses (even if non-residents) are covered too. Marrying a Thai ex-government worker (such as a teacher or nurse) is advantageous if you can swing it and are worried about your health while living in Thailand. 

It's only Government officials that get such benefits. They don't have contracts and have a job for life.

Government workers on the other hand have contracts that may, or may not include some level of private health care.

28 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

It's only Government officials that get such benefits. They don't have contracts and have a job for life.

Government workers on the other hand have contracts that may, or may not include some level of private health care.

So if you marry a government teacher are you covered for the rest of your old life?

2 hours ago, Nemises said:

Even with the energy supplement, Australian pensioners are complaining that they cannot afford heating & cooling costs.
You provided specific details of current Australian rental subsidies, could you do the same for energy and also advise current Aussie (any major retailer will do) electricity tariffs based on a quarterly bill with consumption of let’s say 1,000 KWh?
Thanks in advance.

If you are a single pensioner you'll currently receive $14.10 per fortnight subsidy, or approximately $30 per month, or approximately $90 per quarterly bill, and that excludes additional subsidies from the state government.

If you think your electricity bill is still unaffordable, despite the subsidy, then use your nous to work out how to reduce it. Are all your light bulbs energy efficient LEDs, for example?
http://yourenergysavings.gov.au/energy/lighting/energy-efficient-lights

Are you continuing to use massive amounts of energy cooking on hot-plate stoves? The Microwave oven is much more efficient, for example.

What about your hot-water system? Are you wasting money keeping the water hot 24 hours a day?

Part of the reason electricity prices have risen in excess of the inflation rate, during the past few years in Australia, is because so many people have installed solar panels, and the existing power plants are not being fully utilized. Another reason is that renewable energy sources are more expensive than so-called dirty coal.

My own electricity bill is around $150 a quarter, or $50 a month, or $12 a week, or about $1.70 a day, which is less than cost of a cup of coffee in a restaurant or cafe. No big deal, except for those who insist on spending more on cups of coffee than they do on electricity, not to mention wine. ?

If you think a quarterly electricity bill of $150 is a bit on the low side, then double it to $300, and it translates to a $3.40 cup of coffee per day, which is still cheaper than you could find in any Australian cafe. ?

Edited by VincentRJ

4 hours ago, Nemises said:

^ Thanks, but you didn’t say what the cost per KWh is. Can you look at your last bill and advise? Also,how much per day is your electricity service fee?

Well, this is getting a bit off topic, although I think it is still basically on topic because my point is, whatever the country you're in, it should be possible to change your behaviour, activities and/or location, to get the most out of your income, especially if you're retired.

Regarding my electricity bill, the most significant factor is that I have a solar panel on my roof. Without it, my bill would be more like $300 per quarter, equivalent to a very cheap cup of coffee per day, or one rather modest meal per week in a restaurant, without wine of course. ?

The service to the property was $125 per quarter but has just recently gone up to $150, or $1.60 per day. The peak cost of electricity is 38 cents per kWh, including GST, Monday to Friday, 7 am to 9 pm. However,  the off-peak rate at all other times, including all day Saturday and Sunday, is 16.4 cents per kWh, including GST.

If I were significantly concerned by such electricity charges, I would arise before 7 am to do as many of the chores as possible which involve electricity, such as cooking breakfast or washing the clothes, so that I would be using the off-peak rate more of the time. Or, if I preferred, I could do the chores after 9 pm or during the weekends. Or I could simply sacrifice one meal a week in a restaurant. ?

When one is retired, with plenty of time on one's hands, one usually has the freedom to make such changes to one's activities. If I were a real penny pincher, I could also arrange my affairs so as to avoid the use of any electrical appliances when the sun is shining, because my feed-in tariff for surplus solar power pays a higher rate than the peak rate I'm charged directly from the grid. ?

The service to the property was $125 per quarter but has just recently gone up to $150, or $1.60 per day. The peak cost of electricity is 38 cents per kWh, including GST, Monday to Friday, 7 am to 9 pm.

38 cents per KWh up to 9pm?!

Crikey, I think that equates to about 10 baht per KWh ...plus another 40 baht per day for the “service charge”.

Cost in Thailand is 4 baht per KWh with NO service charge.

No wonder Aussie pensioners are struggling to stay warm if using electric heaters before 9pm M-F.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Nemises said:

38 cents per KWh up to 9pm?!

Crikey, I think that equates to about 10 baht per KWh ...plus another 40 baht per day for the “service charge”.

Cost in Thailand is 4 baht per KWh with NO service charge.

No wonder Aussie pensioners are struggling to stay warm if using electric heaters before 9pm M-F.

Especially if they insist on eating in restaurants and paying $5 for each cup of coffee. ?

30 minutes ago, mogandave said:

If people are turned away all the time, how is it some people are not turned away?

In any event, it is best to go to a county hospital if you’re looking for a handout.

It is because you are misinterpreting the sentence.  Saying "people are turned away all the time" does not and should not be interpreted to mean "All people are turned away all the time" which appears to be how you are interpreting the sentence.

It is because you are misinterpreting the sentence.  Saying "people are turned away all the time" does not and should not be interpreted to mean "All people are turned away all the time" which appears to be how you are interpreting the sentence.

Yeah, it was a joke.

Certainly every medical facility is not going to take everyone, but care is available for everyone, particularly in the event of an emergency.

If you can afford to pay, they will try to make you pay, but no one is left to bleed out on the street.

On 9/4/2018 at 9:14 PM, BritManToo said:

Surprisingly they don't.

The Philippines allows you to stay for 3 years before requiring you to leave for 1 night (no proof of finance), and they don't chase foreigners working on a tourist VISA.

Vietnam only seems to require an 'agent' to process your applications, if married to a local 5-year VISA costs $40.

I have several friends, too poor to stay in Thailand, who now rotate around Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Philippines.

Oh those in rotation--which would be your pick and why besides LOS?

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:47 PM, marcusarelus said:

So if you marry a government teacher are you covered for the rest of your old life?

Ask her.

It depends on her position.

I know one of the local expats who married a nurse because he thought he got free health care.

Turns out she works in admin as a civilian contractor.  

Boy, is he miffed! 

Just because they wear a uniform we associate with a nurse, doesn't mean they are. Most are ancillary workers.

2 hours ago, mogandave said:

You have a friend that married a woman to get free healthcare? Does it include psychiatric care?

No! The requirement was she must have her own house and car as well.

You'd have to be psycho just to marry for free healthcare.   :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

45 minutes ago, Colabamumbai said:

Not here from what I know, but I have been called ignorant here.

Priced into a sliding scale at a kWh/month, residential service (low-voltage)[a]

7.1 First 15 kWh (1st – 15th )
9 Next 10 kWh (16th – 25th)
9.81 Next 10 kWh (26th – 35th)
10.98 Next 65 kWh (36th – 100th)
11.26 Next 50 kWh (101st – 150th)
12.79 Next 250 kWh (151st – 400th)
13.4 Over 400 kWh (up from 401st)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electricity_pricing

4 hours ago, garyk said:

Same here, I am always floored at people who cannot live here on 40K.  I don't drink and don't smoke and don't go with any gold digging women. Which Thailand is full of!

Before I retired I stayed here on and off for 10 years. Many times I literally could not spend 40K/mo. I am not kidding. I enjoy pretty good food and like to travel around Thailand. 

Unless you just got off the plane, or want to live a crazy life style, these countries are a wonderful place to retire. For pennies.

On a side note. Last year I spent several months in Colombia. There is another country that is about like Thailand. In regards to quality of life on very little money. I traveled around the country for months and lived in some Very nice hotels for less than 40K/mo. baht. And I don't have to live on that! I could easily spend more but I just could not?  I rented a room in a very comfortable hotel in Colombia for two months with a nice pool, free and very nice breakfast, weight room, sauna for 300 dollars a month?????

People that complain about money here must not be putting in much effort. Or listening to others here on TV. Anyone reading this, TV is the worst site there is in Thailand in regards to living here. Don't listen to the people posting here.  

Don't listen to the people posting here. 

doesn't that apply to you too? :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, garyk said:

Same here, I am always floored at people who cannot live here on 40K.

true! if you are single and can't manage to live on 40k a week you should be ashamed. we spend a wee bit more but that's for a couple and two dogs.