Retired foreign couples, do they exist in Thailand?

Hanaguma

Hi all;

Just curious about the above topic.  I'm Canadian, married to a Japanese lady for more than 25 years. We visit Thailand at least twice a year-we live in Japan so it's pretty easy to do. Usually we stay for a month or so each time with an eye to retiring to the LOS sometime in the future (10 years or so from now).

It seems from my/our experience in Thailand that the vast majority of foreigners, especially retirees are;

1/ male

2/ with a Thai spouse/partner/gf

Very few foreign females, even fewer foreign couples.  Seems that men in general get itchy feet when they get older more than women do, and are more willing to 'chuck it all in' in their homeland and take off for new adventures. 

We love the place, but this seems like it might be a bit of an issue in the future. Socializing with 'like people' may be difficult and all that.  There are established Japanese expat communities in Bangkok and Chiang Mai, but they are mostly working people and couples.  

So, am I chasing a mythical dragon looking for folks like us?

There's more than a few couples in the Chiang Mai area..... Probably easier to spot here than in a place like BKK.....

I'm guessing they are closer to the tourist areas for convenience.....

Did know some in the Pai area - but they were an entirely different breed.....

• Like 2

Thanks for the answers, I always knew they had to exist... somewhere.  Bangkok does have a lot of Japanese, especially around one of the bts stations, just not so many folks in their golden years.

I always cigured that women were naturaly more conssrvative, and reluctant to leave their  comfort zones on a permanent basis. The lure of grandkids, familiar places, community, etc. all keep them mode or less "at home". Men are pretty eager for a new start after a failed relationship and not so tied down to friends and family.

...at least that is my beerstool psychologistview of things.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Thanks for the answers, I always knew they had to exist... somewhere.  Bangkok does have a lot of Japanese, especially around one of the bts stations, just not so many folks in their golden years.

I always cigured that women were naturaly more conssrvative, and reluctant to leave their  comfort zones on a permanent basis. The lure of grandkids, familiar places, community, etc. all keep them mode or less "at home". Men are pretty eager for a new start after a failed relationship and not so tied down to friends and family.

...at least that is my beerstool psychologistview of things.

I think your beer stool logic is pretty close. However, like anything else, there are exceptions.

I know several foreign couples living in Thailand; my wife and I are one of them. Most are retirees, but some are expats with family status working here. I also know some foreign women living here. I am not referring to the foreign women here in the sex trade; most are working as teachers, but one I know runs her own business. Interestingly, I know no foreign couples with businesses here, but I'll wager they exist.

I think if you enjoy Thailand visits, stay for a few months to see. Being close enough to frequently visit Japan and the fact your wife is Asian may be a benefit. My wife is from the Philippines, she is outgoing and has made many Thai  friends. In fact, several of my Thai friends are the husbands of my wife's friends.

Edited by smotherb
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, KittenKong said:

There are thousands of them. I know many in my Jomtien condo building alone, and many more who live in houses on the darkside.

Yes, many in my condo and I see many when shopping at Friendship or Big C Extra.

if someone spends all his time in gogo bars, it's no wonder he never sees them.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Sad 1

Many of them in Chiang Mai - staying for several month escaping the winter in Europe.
With the new multiple entry tourist visa it has become easier for them to stay longer without hustle.

A friend of mine owns a resort in Doi Saket and he has long staying guests every winter.
In fact there is a small resort going up near our house in Luang Nua that will be catering especially to long term tourists apparently starting in 2019.

Accommodation in individual bungalows will be around 60m2 and includes a kitchen for self caterers who stay several months.

Owner will provide transportation in and out of the city at very reasonable price - actually I think I will coordinate with some of the guests and use their transport for my shopping trips to Central
Festival / Big C- sit on the comfy minibus relax and avoid the traffic stress!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

5 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Yes, many in my condo and I see many when shopping at Friendship or Big C Extra.

There's a farang husband and wife both working in senior positions in one of Thailand biggest conglomerates, both around mid 40's, they are both marketing experts. 

There a some I know personally  in Chiangmai including a Belgian and Japanese wife and a  Canadian couple and a Korean couple  in my village.

If you visit Thailand next time, why not attend the Chiangmai Expats Club weekly breakfast meeting.

Over there I see a lot of non-Thai couple that live in Chiangmai. This may help you decide.

• Like 2

Yes. I have known a few USA/Japanese couples here, and you are correct about there being mostly expat males/Thai - though I have also known expat females w/Thai men... but - - just not sure what it would matter... in my experience throughout my life, I have never thought to seek out people who are just like me for companionship. I think you will meet a lot of retirees here, and others - lots of nice people around and that should be all that matters... 

There a some I know personally  in Chiangmai including a Belgian and Japanese wife and a  Canadian couple and a Korean couple  in my village.

If you visit Thailand next time, why not attend the Chiangmai Expats Club weekly breakfast meeting.
Over there I see a lot of non-Thai couple that live in Chiangmai. This may help you decide.

Expat Clubs are worth a Visit. Everyone seems the same.Just different shapes.?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

My German wife and I (British/Canadian) are retired and are in Phuket, and there are several other couples in our condominium complex. In a couple of cases, the wife and children stay here full time with the children being at school, and the working husband does a month on, month off, returning home or elsewhere, to work in the oil industry, or in 2 cases I am aware of, to keep the family business at home running.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Lots in Hua Hin! Neighbours of mine include Swiss, Russian, English, Singaporean and French couples.

Years ago there were many in Pattaya  that I met when I lived there.Now most of them have moved to Hua Hin ,Udorn Thani or,  Nong Khai.

14 minutes ago, AsiaHand said:

Years ago there were many in Pattaya  that I met when I lived there.Now most of them have moved to Hua Hin ,Udorn Thani or,  Nong Khai.

What do you consider lots,? There are more in sea side areas i admit, but upcountry vey reare , if at all after a few months. No one for them to talk too anymore.Drove me mad , i moved to Krabi.

My neighbours are a retired western couple.. 

There is a reality to that which is much harder than for a mixed couple (especially one with a age gap). Along with the obvious visa, extra money, etc requirement.. The inability to own a home yet desiring the security and stability of ownership ends up expensive long term leasehold and 'lost' buildings at passing.. Failing health and a lack of any support network, combined with only private medial options at age, are both a real issue. 

The couple next door, he was recently given a terminal diagnosis, which he may have pushed back by a couple of years not more.. She would then be left alone, without a relationship to her western adult children, and no way to financially return to her home country, while she also has increasing serious health problems. All possible when they are a couple, but health wont go simultaneously for them and then theres a real hard issue. 

• Like 2

As you can already see, there is a demographic formic.....that Chiang Mai is  where the farang couple feel comfortable to settle.

There are not just the retiree couples here, but I know several couples in their 30s/40s with young children that have come here to work from the UK, Germany, korea,

Everyone knows Nancy, she is so active you can find her absolutely anywhere you look. I never met her personally, but I have walked past or seen her, several times, along the road, supermarket, immigration.

Chiang Mai is so intimate its not difficult to see why its the place to settle.

Lots of space for more couples, but not where I live.