Odds Against Us?

FaFaHead

2 hours ago, FaFaHead said:

Thank you. I was also told about charcoal tablets. 

Be careful using the charcoal tablets. They do work in some cases and I have had good results using them with upset stomach, the problem can be when combine with medications you take the charcoal might absorb the medicine. What I do is take the medicine I need to take and wait an hour or so to be sure the medicine is in my system before taking the charcoal.

As has been said, stick with busy places. I tend to stick with the big markets here in Chiang Mai as opposed to the carts that set up on the streets at night.

Real food poisoning is serious and results in hospitalization. I don't know any foreigners who have been hospitalized for food poisoning but I do know several Thais who have. One relative was hospitalized and almost died from eating somtam with field crabs (it is served uncooked) and is widely eaten in Thailand. Nobody in my family eats somtam with field crabs for over 15 years now.

In many years of visiting and living here, I've gotten a queasy stomach perhaps 15 times (cramps, diarrhea). Yes, the food handling is not sanitary, dishes washed in cold water with mostly non-antibacterial soap, cross-contamination of poultry, seafood, etc. It's enough to give you the runs but we are not talking about spoiled meats, etc. One thing I've noticed personally is that if you go somewhere to eat and order food that contains coconut milk, if it has been sitting out in the warm temperature, almost for certain I will get sick. Coconut milk turns very quickly and needs to be refrigerated at all times.

I would just use common sense when deciding where to eat - look at how the food is stored, if it is refrigerated, how it is prepared, etc. If you don't feel comfortable then just go somewhere else. The good is thing is that there is a pharmacy located on almost every other corner in every Changwat in Thailand and they all stock numerous medicines for a bad stomach.

I am more concerned about the pesticides on the produce myself. For over 7 years now, we only eat at places where the veggies are provided by Doi Kham, where they are grown organically (like Ohkaju), or they are washed in Bicarbonate of soda.

The vast majority of the ice used in the city is made at central plants with filtered water and delivered to the food stalls and restaurants.  If the ice is a cylinder with a hole in the middle, then it was made in a central plant with filtered water and is fine.  We got into the habit of putting ice in our beer fairly early into our Chiang Mai life.  Otherwise, the Thai beer becomes undrinkable as it gets warm.

We bought a nice, big Japanese refrigerator a couple years ago and it has an ice maker where you fill up a water reservoir with bottled water.  The ice is wonderful, but it doesn't have a hole in the middle and the beer foams up when you pour it over a glass with ice from our refrigerator.  I guess the holes in the ice serve a good purpose.

• Like 1

Food poisoning is a problem!  I've had food poisoning twice.  Both times at major international hamburger franchises in Chiang Mai.  So, steer clear of fast-food perhaps. :blink:  Make that three times as I just got over a case last week after eating at home.  That only thing I can attribute it to is some imported romaine lettuce that I bought.  I haven't eaten romaine for years and it was the only thing that was different in my normal diet.
So will you encounter epidemic food poisoning due to a lack of non-Western standards of compulsive cleanliness?  Probably not.

Other than than, I've eaten street food and from local Thai restaurants throughout Chiang Mai and Thailand for the last 12 years and haven't had any problem.  However!  Given that "clean-freak" Westerners are overly bacteria adverse, especially Yanks, you more than likely do not have immunity to the local bacteria that you'll find in food and water here.  If you're going to live here, plan on a few weeks to a few months of on-again / off-again diarrhea and loose stools until your body adapts - which it will over time.  Stock up on generic Immodium (Loperamide) which you can buy cheaply in generic form from virtually all pharmacies.  If you get an extended period of 'the trots' then most pharmacies will suggest a course of Ciprofloxin.  Unlike the US, you don't need a doctor's prescription, well, unless you wish to consult with a doctor.  It's just a rite of passage.  Given time it will pass.  

Edited by connda
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, neeray said:

You have been given lots of good advice, some of it conflicts. I am a frequent traveller to Chiang Mai and most often eat street food, never a problem. This may be because I protect my body against "the trots" by protecting myself, pre travel with a product called Dukoral.

I just Googled this bit of information for you.

DUKORAL® is the only oral vaccine available that provides you with protection against diarrhea caused by heat-labile producing enterotoxigenic E. coli (LT-producing ETEC). DUKORAL® is suitable for most adults, and may be prescribed to children as young as 2 years old.

DUKORAL® is a drinkable vaccine. A full immunization requires 2 doses orally (by mouth) taken at least 1 week (up to 6 weeks) apart, with the last dose taken at least 1 week before travel.

Protect and enjoy !

Interesting.  :thumbsup:

I've only been sick from eating food in Thailand twice in more than 15 years. Both times after eating Hoi Tod. It was over in an hour after I purged myself. Small price to pay cuz I just love Hoi Tod. Stick close to a beach when ordering is my advice.

Edited by lannarebirth

15 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

I've only been sick from eating food in Thailand twice in more than 15 years. Both times after eating Hoi Tod. It was over in an hour after I purged myself. Small price to pay cuz I just love Hoi Tod. Stick close to a beach when ordering is my advice.

Hoi Tod?  Friend clams?  The Op probably doesn't know Thai, transliterated or otherwise.  Just saying. 

The biggest problem is farangs not knowing the difference between food poisoning and an upset stomach. 

Food poisoning is serious, I've only had it once and I thought I going to die. What most people call food poisoning actually isn't - it's an upset stomach due to bacteria which may result in acid and/or diarrhea. 

You will get an upset stomach moving here and eating food - there's no avoiding it, everyone does. Your tolerance to local bacteria with improve with time but even then it you still have it happens from time to time. I don't travel anywhere in Thailand without imodium on hand (generic versions you can get a strip of 10 for 20 baht) and I've been here 6 years. My diet is 95% Thai food, a good portion from local markets.

Well, I've had about >2,000 meals and counting. In Pattaya, at a food court, I ate some curry which was off. The result was an urgent march to the nearest public toilet. Wet brow, and I managed to avoid soiling my pants. At another time, that was not the outcome.

The very worst happened when I drank tap water. Days of vomiting and diarhea followed.

You should be okay. Dissolve some Psyllium Husk in cold milk to train your gut bacteria ?

54 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

I think it's mussels.

I believe hoi maeng pu are mussels, hoi nang rom are oysters; both can be ordered up in an omelet with dipping sauce and bean sprouts, often at places that also do pad thai.

• Thanks 1

The only time I experienced food related illness in Thailand was in Chiang Mai ... after eating a burger late at night from Burger King. The mall restaurants and prepared food from supermarkets where really good ... with a particularly nice supermarket in the big mall at Nimmenheim. I don't eat that often from stalls but have never had a problem. I wouldn't worry about it.

I contracted IBS-D after salmonella poisoning from eating or drinking something in Thailand. There is no cure and my life is now forever changed for the worse. There is no way to know for sure but i could have eaten something bad at a major sushi restaurant chain in a mall or at a 5 star hotel for dinner here in Hua Hin. Not street food. 

make sure you if you prepare food like salads or fruits and vegetables at home you have a source of very clean water to wash everything as the produce here is really filthy.

There is no hygiene practiced at super markets. raw meat is filthy.   

it is not just "food" it is also the water. The water at my house in Hua Hin is contaminated.

You can't even take a shower in it without a filter and it smells like rotten eggs.

so know that it is a crap shoot eating in Thailand. good luck.

5 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

I contracted IBS-D after salmonella poisoning from eating or drinking something in Thailand. There is no cure and my life is now forever changed for the worse. There is no way to know for sure but i could have eaten something bad at a major sushi restaurant chain in a mall or at a 5 star hotel for dinner here in Hua Hin. Not street food. 

make sure you if you prepare food like salads or fruits and vegetables at home you have a source of very clean water to wash everything as the produce here is really filthy.

There is no hygiene practiced at super markets. raw meat is filthy.   

it is not just "food" it is also the water. The water at my house in Hua Hin is contaminated.

You can't even take a shower in it without a filter and it smells like rotten eggs.

so know that it is a crap shoot eating in Thailand. good luck.

I dont think that you would get IBS for just a few meals

My son has Croins which is worse

He had IBS for many years

Eating only western food from back home

He is fussy what he eats too

You must have a week gut to not be able to handle some food

It takes a while for all these problems to appear

IMHO

23 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Been here for 15 years and never had any food poisoning from markets but once from a restaurant in Bangkok.

Don't worry about it and enjoy the food.

Tip: Choose the stall(s) where many people are waiting for food and not the empty ones.

Totally correct, I'm the same only for eight years...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are pretty regular visitors to CM over the years. We eat mainly takeaways from the local food markets, and have never had a problem.  If you're not accustomed to eating chilli it might take your tummy a couple of weeks to adjust.  But that only results in more regular and loose movements and the odd 'ring of fire' (toilet hoses are good for putting those out!)

The most dangerous places for food poisoning (and not only in CM) are western hotel buffets.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

There seem be be many opinions regarding this subject.  Here's some comparative facts.

CDC estimates that at minimum each year roughly 1 in 6 Americans (or 48 million people) gets sick, 128,000 are hospitalized, and between 3,000 and 5,000 die of foodborne diseases are reported. (Source - CDC and FDA - no year provided).  The FDA estimates are higher suggesting that approx 1 in 3 or 27.94% or 76 million people in USA have some form of food-bourne infection - most of which are not reported.

The last official stats I could find for food poisoning rates in Thailand (2003) were:  126,185 reported cases; deaths:  11 (Source - Ministry of Public Health)

Cooked chicken is better than cooked pork in as far as it doesn't go bad as fast. Thai street dishes are pretty spicy, which preserves the food well. I would suggest finding one stall and eating with them exclusively. If it is delicious and clean, and you make a good relationship with the owners, you will eat well and they will give you western sized portions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are just as likely to get food poisoning in Australia as Thailand.

I take a few precautions. I only go to food stalls or restaurants I know I can trust. I boil the water that comes out of the roadside vending machines. I eat food I can peel. Everything else gets cooked - thoroughly. I won't accept food that's cold or lukewarm in restaurants. Food stall stuff gets microwaved to be on the safe side.

I've only had food poisoning here twice in 9 years, both times because I broke my own rules.

Welcome to Chiang Mai. It has many good restaurants.

Welcome to Chiang Mai !

Food: use your nose, eyes, and common sense, to scan the environment, the servers, and the food. If you are coming from a country with a very different dietary spectrum, keep in mind that the microbiome (bacteria in your gut) that make up 57% or so of your cells may experience a form of "culture shock;" perhaps go easy on experimentation with uncooked Thai foods.

And, be aware that medical practitioners here tend to over-prescribe antibiotics. Street food here, often delicious and cheap, tends to be loaded with MSG ... as does a lot of restaurant food ... you can try saying "my ow emessgee," or go for broke with: 

TV thread on MSG

bon appétit, ~o:37;

The only time I have had food poisoning here was in a major hotel in the countryside... [more than 20 years]...

I have had countless guests and nobody has ever gotten food poisoning and we always ate street food. I believe it is possibly more likely to be fresher than a poorly run restaurant. Thai people eat street food all the time. A good rule of thumb is to eat in restaurants and street stalls with customers there.. 

Relax and enjoy....

More importantly.. though food poisoning sounds deadly, most all cases here are mild and can be knocked out with an easy course of antibiotics... 

23 hours ago, Puwa said:

Occasional GI problems are one thing, but full-on food poisoning is something else altogether. I've gotten it a few times in Chiang Mai over the years, from a variety of sources. There's no way to predict and really no way to treat it. You just ride it out for an ugly 24 hours then gradually start to eat and drink again. 

23 hours ago, Puwa said:

Occasional GI problems are one thing, but full-on food poisoning is something else altogether. I've gotten it a few times in Chiang Mai over the years, from a variety of sources. There's no way to predict and really no way to treat it. You just ride it out for an ugly 24 hours then gradually start to eat and drink again. 

Thanks. ?

22 hours ago, jmd8800 said:

Be careful using the charcoal tablets. They do work in some cases and I have had good results using them with upset stomach, the problem can be when combine with medications you take the charcoal might absorb the medicine. What I do is take the medicine I need to take and wait an hour or so to be sure the medicine is in my system before taking the charcoal.

As has been said, stick with busy places. I tend to stick with the big markets here in Chiang Mai as opposed to the carts that set up on the streets at night.

Good points...thanks. 

23 hours ago, ELVIS123456 said:

Lived in CM for nearly 4 years - I found the smoke/smog much worse than the food - never got true 'poisoning' and only a couple of 'runs'.

Good advice given by others. I would add never eat seafood or any fish type food from a stall/market, and never eat in a restaurant that is empty - only go where there are lots of people and look for places where there are other 'farangs' (who are not tourists).  Never drink/use tap water and only buy your water from shops like 7/11 or Makro - and never let them put ice in your beer (it is standard - they dont know).  Try to make sure any meats in stalls are very well cooked, and anything boiled in hot water is good (except seafoods).  Be very careful of under cooked meat in many places - ask them to cook it for a bit longer and they will no problem. When you are first there I suggest you take it easy with the Thai food and eat it slowly - no big or too spicy Thai meals - let your system get used to it for a few months.

Thank you. Good idea to ease into the food. 

Your biggest worry in my opinion is staying hydrated. Your post doesn't mention where you are but the humidity can be terrible here . As for food. I say go for it. You might get the runs (we all do, farang and Thai) and if you do, drink more water and add some electrolytes to it. You can buy sachets of this at any pharmacy, 711's and the like. Food poisoning is a whole different thing. Vomiting, runs, temperature, extreme stomach cramps and aches and pains. Absolutely horrible. 15 years in Thailand I've  had it a couple of times. It can be life threatening but if do you get it (not just the runs and vomiting maybe cramps which is more likely to be gastro) you'll know and again staying hydrated and adding electolytes will be your best friend. It will usually pass:cheesy: in a day or two. A good thing to have is a medical thermometer so you can keep a check on your temp. Having said all this don't be too concerned and enjoy the food.?

Edited by dinsdale

22 hours ago, elektrified said:

Real food poisoning is serious and results in hospitalization. I don't know any foreigners who have been hospitalized for food poisoning but I do know several Thais who have. One relative was hospitalized and almost died from eating somtam with field crabs (it is served uncooked) and is widely eaten in Thailand. Nobody in my family eats somtam with field crabs for over 15 years now.

In many years of visiting and living here, I've gotten a queasy stomach perhaps 15 times (cramps, diarrhea). Yes, the food handling is not sanitary, dishes washed in cold water with mostly non-antibacterial soap, cross-contamination of poultry, seafood, etc. It's enough to give you the runs but we are not talking about spoiled meats, etc. One thing I've noticed personally is that if you go somewhere to eat and order food that contains coconut milk, if it has been sitting out in the warm temperature, almost for certain I will get sick. Coconut milk turns very quickly and needs to be refrigerated at all times.

I would just use common sense when deciding where to eat - look at how the food is stored, if it is refrigerated, how it is prepared, etc. If you don't feel comfortable then just go somewhere else. The good is thing is that there is a pharmacy located on almost every other corner in every Changwat in Thailand and they all stock numerous medicines for a bad stomach.

I am more concerned about the pesticides on the produce myself. For over 7 years now, we only eat at places where the veggies are provided by Doi Kham, where they are grown organically (like Ohkaju), or they are washed in Bicarbonate of soda.

Thank you. Didn’t know that about the coconut milk. Makes a lot of sense. I haven’t seen and refrigerated foods or even refrigerators at the outside markets.

1 minute ago, dinsdale said:

Your biggest worry in my opinion is staying hydrated. Your post doesn't mention where you are but the humidity can be terrible here . As for food. I say go for it. You might get the runs (we all do, farang and Thai) and if you do, drink more water and add some electrolytes to it. You can buy sachets of this at any pharmacy, 711's and the like. Food poisoning is a whole different thing. Vomiting, runs, temperature, extreme stomach cramps and aches and pains. Absolutely horrible. 15 years in Thailand I've  had it a couple of times. It can be life threatening but if do you get it (not just the runs and vomiting maybe cramps which is more likely to be gastro) you'll know and again staying hydrated and adding electolytes will be your best friend. It will usually pass:cheesy: in a day or two. A good think to have is a medical thermometer so you can keep a check on your temp. Having said all this don't be too concerned and enjoy the food.?

Thank you for that. We are currently in Boston, MA. We are in the middle of an unusually hot, more than usual muggy summer, so we are getting a taste of what to expect with all of these 95+ days with just about the same humidity.