Elon Musk 'to be sued in Thailand, London and US’ by cave diver he called 'paedo' in baseless remark

webfact

On 9/6/2018 at 3:19 PM, racket said:

Is Vern going to court just to prove he's not a pedo? It's not illegal to call somebody a pedo, but since there's a dispute he needs to prove he isn't. Elon could easily just funnel some cash to his thai girlfriend and endup turning against him. He could also slide off future investments in thailand, and will thai authorities be happy with that? Could Vern perhaps risk being blacklisted? 

I'm getting sick of this Vern guy who's nothing more but a looser hiding in Chiang Rai thinking he was the only hero in the cave rescue operation. I first thought he was reasonable and did a great job, but I'm done supporting the guy. Now we all understand he's doing everything he can to squeeze some cash out of Musk. 

Do you live in Thailand? If so you understand the defamation laws? 

2 hours ago, Miss Pickle said:

If I was him I would ignore it.I recon that Musk has done a bit digging on him to come out with these remarks.Lets be honest he has been going to Pattaya for years and I am sure he has been with plenty young girls not saying they would be under age but sure would be young enough to be his grandchild. I have been going to Thailand for years the flights are full of single older men on the hunt for love ❤️ and are willing to pay a high price for it. He will open a can of worms for sure. 

Do you have any evidence whatsoever for those claims? There is nothing that I have seen yet, verifying that Unsworth has visited Pattaya. He has stated for the record that he has never been there.

If you have evidence showing that he has been there, please provide it - otherwise your allegations are without foundation.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Do you have any evidence whatsoever for those claims? There is nothing that I have seen yet, verifying that Unsworth has visited Pattaya. He has stated for the record that he has never been there.

If you have evidence showing that he has been there, please provide it - otherwise your allegations are without foundation.

Why focus on Pattaya - the claims applies for Thailand as Whole.... 

6 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

The claim I was replying to was the following:

So the post in question was focused on Pattaya.

The original claim was not particulary about Pattaya, but about very Young Thai Girls hence the pedo claim....:whistling:

Edited by ttrd

22 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I rec(k)on that Musk is just doing what a lot of people do - assume that if people visit Thailand, then they MUST be here for the cheap sex, and they MUST have been with young girls. But Musk has taken it to another level by baselessly accusing someone in public of being a paedophile, having a child bride, and inferring that the same person is a child rapist. For that, I hope he gets parted from a few of his billions, unless of course he has proof of what he accuses Unsworth of being? :cheesy:.

Edited by sambum

1 hour ago, digger70 said:

Show me .

Under Section 326 of the Thai Criminal Code, defamation is defined as whoever imputes anything about another person to a third person in a manner likely to impair the person’s reputation or place the person in contempt or hatred by others. When defamation is committed by publication or other media made visible by any means, the offender is liable for imprisonment for up to two years and a fine of up to 200,000 baht. If the person who is accused of defamation is able to prove that the statement is true, the person shall not be punished. But the truth is not a defense for private matters that is not a benefit to the public (Section 330).

Defamation Law in Thailand

• Thanks 1

Is Vern going to court just to prove he's not a pedo? It's not illegal to call somebody a pedo, but since there's a dispute he needs to prove he isn't. Elon could easily just funnel some cash to his thai girlfriend and endup turning against him. He could also slide off future investments in thailand, and will thai authorities be happy with that? Could Vern perhaps risk being blacklisted? 

I'm getting sick of this Vern guy who's nothing more but a looser hiding in Chiang Rai thinking he was the only hero in the cave rescue operation. I first thought he was reasonable and did a great job, but I'm done supporting the guy. Now we all understand he's doing everything he can to squeeze some cash out of Musk. 

In Thailand you can sue anyone for anything they said if it if wrong, Thailand has the strictest defamation laws in the world and if he sues in Thailand then he would win

7 hours ago, nontabury said:

As You are someone who has only joined T.V since this started, I’m now thinking that you could quite easily be part of this multi millionaires P.R. team.

Plenty of Musk rats are popping up on these threads.

8 hours ago, sanemax said:

Musk made the allegations of Vern marrying a 12 year old girl "off the record" , he told that to a media outlet and asked them to "keep it off the record" .

Musk was saying to the media outlet *Report that , but dont say it came from me *

Musk was trying to spread false rumors , if Musk had any evidence of Vern marrying a 12 year old girl , he would have put his name to the quotes , but he asked the media not to name him as being the source of the allegation

Well I hadn't seen that, but if that's the case then more fool him!!!  

On 9/6/2018 at 10:03 AM, keith101 said:

Me thinks he protests too muuuch and trying to sue him in 3 different countries is ridiculous . The US is the best option not only because thats where Musk lives but if found guilty the payout would be enormous .

Thats interesting... 
Can I ask how you know the payout would be enormous?

On 9/6/2018 at 3:03 PM, keith101 said:

Me thinks he protests too muuuch and trying to sue him in 3 different countries is ridiculous . The US is the best option not only because thats where Musk lives but if found guilty the payout would be enormous .

I'm an American and I think suing in America would be very risky. American libel law is very uncertain. Since Mr. Musk is a celebrity special rules apply, usually protecting him. I'm not sure how it would work in this case, with Musk the defendant. Great Britain would be a good choice since they still have effective libel and slander laws. Musk has made things worse for himself by repeating the slander, and again accusing accusing Mr. Unsworth of child rape. No, Mr. Unsworth does not have to prove himself innocent of the libel; Musk has the burden of proving that his defamatory statements are true, which I don't believe he can do. Musk is apparently suffering from a mental breakdown. He also made a clearly illegal announcement that he was going to take the company private at a price of $420 a share when the stock was trading at $340, and that he had funding. That caused a lot of people to lose money, and he should be prosecuted for it, but he's rich and probably won't be. The American government is very like the Thai government that way.

• Like 1

In Thailand, it is illegal to call someone a pedo or defame them in any way, regardless of the accuracy of the defaming remark.

Calling someone a pedo is wrong. But how much is it worth?  Rich men don’t pay lots of money easily and if I was on the jury I would give Vern one USA dollar and be upset with all the wasted legal fees and time spent on this child like war of grown men. Hope they both lose. To those that think this is a million dollar lottery you are mistaken.  The only winner will be the lawyers, Elon’s will get paid cash and Vern’s will get free advertising that would otherwise cost them a  fortune. So the lawyers win on both sides and the plaintiff and defendant get to wage a war. What a freaking waste of time and resources.  

• Thanks 1

On 9/6/2018 at 3:39 PM, darksidedog said:

I hope Vernon has plenty of money, because lawyers dont work for free, and suing in three countries will be VERY expensive.

I know he kicked things off, but Musk has gone too far and deserves to get nailed. Calling someone a pedo without evidence is just wrong.

lawyers would probably take this case pro bono and get paid % from the winnings if they are confident of winning..... 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, frostycarl said:

So its proven that when Elon said Vern was a pedo he was referring to pedophile and not maybe a pedometer or a pedogenic or a pedocalic or a pedograph or a pedomancy or finally a pedogogic!!!! Maybe everyone else thought that cause Vern`s wife is almost 23 years his junior that he was referring to a pedophile.

When Vern said that Elon can stick that submarine where it hurts - where exactly was he referring? 

These were obtuse arguments the first time round - but Musk has very helpfully clarified that by "pedo-guy," he meant "child rapist" and by referring to a child bride of 12. 

Stick to where it hurts is one of countless expressions in extremely common usage in English which are obviously not literal. They're as old as the hills and all languages have their equivalent, English is absolutely peppered with them. Vern made a mild (though unclassy) insult that means nothing worse than take it away, ditch it or something similar. He meant it no more literally than Vern's mum commenting that Musk should be hung.

Just to explain my last paragraph by the way, when I say expressions are as old as the hills, that's obviously not true as hills predate languages. And when I say English is peppered with them, no pepper is actually involved. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ks45672 said:

lawyers would probably take this case pro bono and get paid % from the winnings if they are confident of winning..... 

Wood, Unsworth's attorney, said via email that his firm is "representing Mr. Unsworth pursuant to a written engagement agreement and are not providing services pro bono."

https://money.cnn.com/2018/08/29/news/elon-musk-libel-lawsuit-vern-unsworth/

And just to note that neither in the CNN post above, nor in any subsequent buzzfeed or other media comments from Mr. Wood that I have seen, nor in the August 6 letter Mr. Wood presumably sent to Elon Musk, does Lin Wood ever mention his client Mr. Unsworth's appearance on CNN. 

Edited by metisdead
Oversize font reset to normal.

47 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

These were obtuse arguments the first time round - but Musk has very helpfully clarified that by "pedo-guy," he meant "child rapist" and by referring to a child bride of 12. 

Stick to where it hurts is one of countless expressions in extremely common usage in English which are obviously not literal. They're as old as the hills and all languages have their equivalent, English is absolutely peppered with them. Vern made a mild (though unclassy) insult that means nothing worse than take it away, ditch it or something similar. He meant it no more literally than Vern's mum commenting that Musk should be hung.

Just to explain my last paragraph by the way, when I say expressions are as old as the hills, that's obviously not true as hills predate languages. And when I say English is peppered with them, no pepper is actually involved. 

You are a bit pedantic with respect to English but believe his Mum wishes Elon had larger wedding tackle? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JLCrab said:

Wood, Unsworth's attorney, said via email that his firm is "representing Mr. Unsworth pursuant to a written engagement agreement and are not providing services pro bono."

Pro bono means no fee at all, so presumably this refers to a contingency arrangement, Unsworth would still not have to put up his own money.