Trump tells Apple to make products in U.S. to avoid China tariffs

rooster59

Trump tells Apple to make products in U.S. to avoid China tariffs

800x800 (10).jpg

FILE PHOTO: An attendee uses a new iPhone X during a presentation for the media in Beijing, China October 31, 2017. REUTERS/Thomas Peter/File Photo

(Reuters) - U.S. President Trump tweeted on Saturday that Apple Inc <AAPL.O> should make products inside the United States if it wants to avoid tariffs on Chinese imports.

The company told trade officials in a letter on Friday that the proposed tariffs would affect prices for a "wide range" of Apple products, including its Watch, but it did not mention the iPhone.

Trump, speaking on Friday aboard Air Force One, said the administration had tariffs planned for an additional $267 billion worth of Chinese goods.

Trump tweeted that "Apple prices may increase because of the massive Tariffs we may be imposing on China - but there is an easy solution where there would be ZERO tax, and indeed a tax incentive. Make your products in the United States instead of China. Start building new plants now."

Apple declined to comment.

The technology sector is among the biggest potential losers as tariffs would make imported computer parts more expensive. Apple's AirPods headphones, some of its Beats headphones and its new HomePod smart speaker would also face levies.

"The burden of the proposed tariffs will fall much more heavily on the United States than on China," Apple said in its letter.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-09-09
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I wonder how long it takes to build a factory to produce ‘Apple’ products, build the factories to supply the basic components and materials, procure, install and commission the production machinery and systems, establish the supply logistics, find and train the necessary staff?

The factory could go from green field to site in a shoe=rt time. Fine tuning the tech involve in electronics could take a very long time indeed. It would be a daunting task.

• Like 1

Just now, JAG said:

Well, I suppose you can build the factories along the Rio Grande, get the necessary staff from Mexico, and import the basic components and machinery from China...

well in WW2 it took less than 2 years.

But then again we have environmental regs...pollution regs, labor regs......

Tough to compete with lao baixing even without that handicap.

18 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I wonder how long it takes to build a factory to produce ‘Apple’ products, build the factories to supply the basic components and materials, procure, install and commission the production machinery and systems, establish the supply logistics, find and train the necessary staff?

Well they have had the chance ever since they started producing phones to build that factory, isn't it.

An American company that has to complain about import tariffs on their products clearly can't be an American company.

I don't understand why the US people keep buying overpriced phones from a company that doesn't even pays taxes in the US on those immense prrofits.

Foxconn who produces phones for Apple and other companies announced long time ago that they will start production in the US.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Were it that simple, you almost sound like tRUmp.

And then how do you replace these "lost taxes"? Hmm, let me guess, by paying higher sales tax on the iPhone manufactured in Abalama? Or by paying higher state income, property taxes?

Honestly, most of these tax-waiving deals municipalities make to attract jobs usually work out quite badly.

As Foxconn Breaks Ground in Wisconsin, the Costs to Taxpayers Go Up

State, municipalities have pledged nearly $1 billion in sweeteners on top of initial $3 billion incentive package to lure manufacturer

In an effort to land the plant, municipalities months later added their own sweeteners. The town and the county where the facility will be built, Mount Pleasant and Racine County—south of Milwaukee—offered a $764 million incentive package. And Wisconsin added another $134 million to the tab to improve state highways and local roads in the area around the Foxconn site.

The state is on the hook for 40% of the public bonds that finance the local expenses if the project flops.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/as-foxconn-breaks-ground-in-wisconsin-the-costs-to-taxpayers-go-up-1530091800

And once again for those who struggle with mathematics.

with thousands new jobs, thousands of people pay taxes , which also means just as many thousands receive less benefits from the state.

And all those thousands have money to spend in other businesses, who then make more sales and more profits , which then means also pay more taxes and employ more people who then also pay taxes.

i know it’s complicated, bashing Trump without having much business acumen is by far easier ???

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Were it that simple, you almost sound like tRUmp.

And then how do you replace these "lost taxes"? Hmm, let me guess, by paying higher sales tax on the iPhone manufactured in Abalama? Or by paying higher state income, property taxes?

It's quite obvious that the orange clown hasn't got a clue as how things work in the world of industry, commerce and/or taxes...……...just throw money at it and all will be well.

His small mind and lack of intelligence don't allow him to think, or understand anything...…...about the same mental capacity as a pickled squid.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BestB said:

thousands new jobs, thousands of people pay taxes

So how long will it take to pay back $4 billion in incentives?

It does make sense that this sort of trickle-down/voodoo economics makes sense to the average trump supporter. LEt me guess, you probably think public funding of sports stadiums makes economic sense, for someone other than the owner?

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 2

Just now, mtls2005 said:

So how long will it take to pay back $4 billion in incentives?

It does make sense that this sort of trickle-down/voodoo economics makes sense to the average trump supporter. 

Get your calculator out and do the maths 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Actually, since it is your proposal that's down to you.

I worked in high-tech manufacturing in the U.S. ages ago, been there, done that. Let it go, and move to the future.

The "maths", or "math" as we say, has already been done.

Wrenching production back is stoopid, but Trump seems to want to return to the 1950's. 

Trump Digs Coal.

Next up he'll propose building coal automobiles.

As previously already said it’s complicated, bashing Trump without having much business acumen is by far easier ???

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, manarak said:

I wonder how much tariffs in % it takes for Apple to choose the US for its production

My guess, between 100% and 200%?

45 minutes ago, BestB said:

Correct me if I am wrong but Apple use to manufacture in US, so factories are still standing .

You're wrong.

46 minutes ago, BestB said:

Surely if tax exepmtions were big enough it would be financially viable option.

Surely? Sounds quite informed. Maybe we can go negative on the exemptions and just pay Apple from the public coffers? That should work?

47 minutes ago, BestB said:

Its really not the worst idea

Ringing endorsement.

• Like 1