Tourist arrivals on the rise

rooster59

Tourist arrivals on the rise

Thammarat Thadaphrom

PNECO610908001000801_08092018_113919.jpg

BANGKOK, 8th September 2018 (NNT) – Thailand welcomed visitor arrivals of about 22.65 million from January to July 2018, up by 11% compared to the same period of 2017, according to the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT). Estimated visitor expenditure rose by 14.44% to 1.18 trillion baht. 

The top ten source markets of visitors to Thailand during the first seven months, were China, Malaysia, the Republic of Korea, Lao PDR, India, Japan, Russia, the United States, Vietnam, and Singapore. 

TAT Governor Yuthasak Supasorn, noted that visitor arrivals by sea are increasing, and higher hotel occupancies are being experienced in emerging secondary provinces, such as Rayong, Suphan Buri, Chai Nat, Nakhon Pathom, Ang Thong, and Phatthalung. 

According to the governor, Travel Weekly UK has unveiled the results of its "Best Destinations in the World” survey and Thailand made it into the top 10 in four important categories. These were Best for Spa & Wellness (1st place), Best for Value for Money (2nd place), Best for Food & Drink (4th place), and Best for Luxury (9th place).

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-09-09

'I don't Adam & Eve it' . . . 'You can not be serious!' . . . 'You gotta be joking'. However you say it, it means exactly what has happened to these trumped up figures. Shouldn't the TAT be prosecuted under the fake news legislation that's recently given our FF hero a headache?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just last month numbers were up and hardly anyone around .

this month numbers are even higher and yet even less people around.

i am predicting next month would be record breaking .

keep in mind last month had 700000 Chinese cancellations due to boat accident yet this still did not stop numbers to rise ???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lets hope the vast majority, if not all can complete their trip unscathed. There has been way too many news reports this year concerning tourists coming to harm, sometimes of course through their own fault. 

• Like 1

To show it's all commercial in Thailand they  already put up a Christmas tree, what a laughable country. Some people don't  like to see that already in September.

Edited by RotMahKid
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

I imagine a lot of these numbers are the two weeks, hotels and everything already bought, not no money tourism,  but very little Baht trips that bang up numbers.

As for not saying ... place I stay in Bangkok has been virtually empty in December when I go down for Christmas. High season and they are not doing anything. There responce has been to up the rates! No discounts now, they need the money

As for Chiang Mai, less than Bangkok or Hua Hin but a whole bunch of Guest Houses and Boutique hotels with no one in them. In fact on the little soi I stay 2 are boarded up for good. This is not the recent hotel law crackdown this is NO ONE stays there. They have overbuilt and the Chinese influx has not saved it.

So yes, the numbers increase ... and ?

Could you translate this post into English ?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just talked to a friend in CM he says never seen it so slow, Sat. walking street dead very little traffic. The low season has started as students from the US, Great Britian, and Europe all back to the class room. Before I left for the states, my every two year trip, the area I live in, Chiang Mai Gate, was buzzing with young people on tours and individual travel.

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

Going on previous experience of TAT, and a lot of people's perception of them, I'd say take any figures they publish with a grain of salt.

Exactly. Even the TAT themselves say " Estimated visitor expenditure rose by 14.44% to 1.18 trillion baht" .Could be down 20% then right ?

What annoys me about these reports is that the TAT never release details of how they arrive at their numbers, something that wouldn't happen in a western country.

Visitors are up. Do they include laborers from Myanmar, Loas and Cambodia who are looking for work ?

Do they include visitors who are in transit to other countries ?

Until such time as they tell us how they calculate out their reports I too will take this as a pinch of sale.

Edited by Chelseafan
  • Like 2

I was at Anusarn market  (end of Loi Krow and up the road a bit) a week back (evening market/food spot/night spot for foreigners).

Was invited for free food and drinks from a Thai lady friend who runs one of the food franchises.

Surprised how many white foreigners there were there, Thai bands playing western music (reggae band was quite good).

Mostly elderly old white couples (Saturday), plus a few Thai freelancers looking for business.

Apparently, Sunday night is Chinese coach tours.

Everything was 3x-4x normal Thai prices, why would anyone go to these places?

150bht for chicken fried rice served in 1/2 a pineapple ..... 555!

Edited by BritManToo

1 hour ago, BestB said:

Just last month numbers were up and hardly anyone around .

this month numbers are even higher and yet even less people around.

i am predicting next month would be record breaking .

keep in mind last month had 700000 Chinese cancellations due to boat accident yet this still did not stop numbers to rise ???

Figures are Jan - July.

I'm seeing a marked increase of visitors to Nan city in the last 3-5 weeks, wife noticed it too. They look like Thais on domestic trips and Chinese visitors as well. Those big gaudy coaches are the primary means of travel in the city and surrounds and I guess back to Bangkok, CM or CR.

2 hours ago, lanista said:

eCould you translate this post into English ?

Look sorry if English is not your first language. Read it twice, allright, you have done that, then Lets Go.

Bangkok that 2014 to 2017 December - at least 5 days to two weeks each of those years, I have stayed in said hotel and do my Xmas shopping and attend a party. Located in Siam Square area.

In Chiang Mai On the soi behind the Montri (M) hotel. 2 Guest houses Belly up - these are not in the back packer area, but, farther up a Travelfish recommended place for years gate up just no one there - two other not a soul to be seen  - these are 20 plus places, one a boutique hotel.. Now this is lean season but the two that were closed were dead last February too. This is not THIS YEARS blather this is the last 2 to 4 to 6 years.

You want to troll fine, now contribute something, or change handles and off to a new post, and what fun!

Ok Nigel

1 hour ago, LomSak27 said:

In Chiang Mai On the soi behind the Montri (M) hotel. 2 Guest houses Belly up - these are not in the back packer area, but, farther up a Travelfish recommended place for years gate up just no one there - two other not a soul to be seen  - these are 20 plus places, one a boutique hotel.. Now this is lean season but the two that were closed were dead last February too. This is not THIS YEARS blather this is the last 2 to 4 to 6 years.

Sounds unlikely, I usually have to try 2 or 3 places in that area to find an available (800bht) room for my 'Loi Kro' date of the night.

Sorry, misread, I was thinking or the refurbished Monta hotel, which has designated the ground floor as short-time rooms.

Montri is 100% backpacker area.

Edited by BritManToo

Not that many options to go in Chiang Mai anymore, all is replaced with hotels. So not that surprising to do see quite a few people at the last places alive as mentioned here before. Other than that it is pretty much dead, even my extension at CMI took only 1 hour, 6 waiting people before me.

Guess the only ones that are still here are the retirees, teacher crowds, student exchange groups and a small part of the digital nomads.

Good thing is, when everyone comes to same area(s) at least, there is a good vibe and experience.

Edited by ReneTH

6 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Asians are always going broke. Business is always bad. Business has been bad this year, no discount. I need to feed my children, the water buffalo is sick, no tourists. Bad. Maybe I die or my children starve.

No Asian businessman worth his salt (except for Japan) is going to tell you business is good. If it was good, you would get discount.

My Mercedes is two years old ?

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The top ten source markets of visitors to Thailand during the first seven months, were China, Malaysia, the Republic of Korea, Lao PDR, India, Japan, Russia, the United States, Vietnam, and Singapore.

Comparing top ten arrivals for first seven months 2018 to full year 2017 shows that

• the UK dropped from being in the top ten at #10 while having the 5th highest total revenues for 2017
  • Australia and Germany were not in the top 10 for 2017 or 2018 while in 2017 had the 8th and 10th highest revenues respectfully
  • Vietnam was not in the top ten in 2017 for either visitors or revenues
  • Laos was in the top ten at #4 in 2017 but not in the top ten for revenues

https://www.thaitravelblogs.com/2017/12/top-10-foreign-tourists-to-visit-thailand-during-2017/

Really need to see the total revenues by country in the top ten for 2018 for any meaningful trend analysis. Otherwise, it appears that Thailand is losing visitors from nations generating high revenues for visitors generating lower revenues. That's not a sustaining revenue growth trend.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Sounds unlikely, I usually have to try 2 or 3 places in that area to find an available (800bht) room for my 'Loi Kro' date of the night.

Sorry, misread, I was thinking or the refurbished Monta hotel, which has designated the ground floor as short-time rooms.

Montri is 100% backpacker area.

Most if not all booking sites maybe have a small number of rooms in each hotel you can book through them.

Just because on their site it flags up as 'last of these rooms available' doesn't mean the hotel is full. Book the 'last room' using your phone

( without deposit ) and then get your mate to try on his phone, same site, same hotel, same grade of room and he'll get the 'last room flag' but maybe 500 to 1000 baht more expensive.

??