CM Immigration Q&A (2018)

CharlieH

4 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

Just wondering if anybody can tell me if rules have changed for amount of time money has to be in a Thai bank and the amount that must be on deposit prior to application for renewal of “retirement visa”.

800,000 baht or more for 3 months. Not sure about the first time visa, that was 14 years ago for me. If there are any other changes, let's hear about it.  NOW for my own question: Is Chiang Mai Immigration open next week (Monday)? 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

Just wondering if anybody can tell me if rules have changed for amount of time money has to be in a Thai bank and the amount that must be on deposit prior to application for renewal of “retirement visa”.

The last time I thought about this, it was 800,000 baht on deposit for 3 months before application for initial visa, and then to renew for the following year it was 2 months.  Is that still the case?

Im not being lazy by asking here; it seems that rules and regulation change so often with IMM, that my best bet for current details is just to ask here.  Hoping some kind person will just give me a simple answer, and will be most appreciative for it ????

It appears to be 2 months for new applications and 3 months for renewals. Then 3 months after renewal before you can withdraw 400K and top up to 800K again 3 months before next renewal.

19 hours ago, cusanus said:

800,000 baht or more for 3 months. Not sure about the first time visa, that was 14 years ago for me. If there are any other changes, let's hear about it.  NOW for my own question: Is Chiang Mai Immigration open next week (Monday)? 

Opens 17th.

2 hours ago, Thailand said:

It appears to be 2 months for new applications and 3 months for renewals. Then 3 months after renewal before you can withdraw 400K and top up to 800K again 3 months before next renewal.

Sorry... the rules have changed and I'm still not clear on it. Looks like it's now 800,000 baht for two months prior to filing date, but now the 800,000 baht balance must remain for three months after the filing date and not fall below 400,000 baht until it's boosted back to 800,000 baht two months prior to the next filing date. I'll have to study this a bit more because one article says one thing and the next another. It means I can't keep as much as I have in good interest bearing accounts but let it go to waste. Essentially, we have to maintain a minimum balance of 800,000 baht for five months and 400,000 for the remainder of the year. Google thailand retirement visa requirement 2019 and check the news yourself.

1 hour ago, cusanus said:

Sorry... the rules have changed and I'm still not clear on it. Looks like it's now 800,000 baht for two months prior to filing date, but now the 800,000 baht balance must remain for three months after the filing date and not fall below 400,000 baht until it's boosted back to 800,000 baht two months prior to the next filing date. I'll have to study this a bit more because one article says one thing and the next another. It means I can't keep as much as I have in good interest bearing accounts but let it go to waste. Essentially, we have to maintain a minimum balance of 800,000 baht for five months and 400,000 for the remainder of the year. Google thailand retirement visa requirement 2019 and check the news yourself.

Oh, and for years after the 1st extension, it's 800,000 baht for three months prior. Believe I'm going to withdraw 600,000 baht from non commercial savings and just buy a Bangkok Bank 1 or 2 year CD and ensure my usual account doesn't fall below 200,000 baht three months before and after retirement extension. It seems unfair to me since I haven't been cheating the system. I'll lose about 12,000 baht interest and have to juggle another account, but then there's a price for living here and we'll get used to it. Now, maybe someone else has something more to add.  I had no idea about these new rules and this should be the place to keep each other straight. One question I still have, do we get our visa renewal at the usual appointment as we always have? I assume the following three months 800,000 baht and continued 400,000 baht minimums are not checked until the following year and could jeopardize the next extension, not the current year, but maybe I'm wrong.  https://www.thethailandlife.com/the-thailand-retirement-visa-guide

46 minutes ago, cusanus said:

Oh, and for years after the 1st extension, it's 800,000 baht for three months prior. Believe I'm going to withdraw 600,000 baht from non commercial savings and just buy a Bangkok Bank 1 or 2 year CD and ensure my usual account doesn't fall below 200,000 baht three months before and after retirement extension. It seems unfair to me since I haven't been cheating the system. I'll lose about 12,000 baht interest and have to juggle another account, but then there's a price for living here and we'll get used to it. Now, maybe someone else has something more to add.  I had no idea about these new rules and this should be the place to keep each other straight. One question I still have, do we get our visa renewal at the usual appointment as we always have? I assume the following three months 800,000 baht and continued 400,000 baht minimums are not checked until the following year and could jeopardize the next extension, not the current year, but maybe I'm wrong.  https://www.thethailandlife.com/the-thailand-retirement-visa-guide

Correct me if I am understanding this correctly or not.  According to the new rules effective Mar, 2019 you have to keep the FULL 800,000 baht in a Thai bank for 3 months AFTER renewal, and then after 3 months, you still must keep 400,000 in the account indefinitely (unable to use it at all)? 

If so, IMM has gone too far!  I will seriously think about moving to Vietnam where expats are treated with a little more respect instead of putting up with any more this sort of nonsense from them.  This is just plain ridiculous!  What are they smoking over there anyway?

If anybody figures out what is REALLY going on, I hope they will clarify. (Hint, Hint, UbonJoe or NancyL) ????

44 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Correct me if I am understanding this correctly or not.  According to the new rules effective Mar, 2019 you have to keep the FULL 800,000 baht in a Thai bank for 3 months AFTER renewal, and then after 3 months, you still must keep 400,000 in the account indefinitely (unable to use it at all)? 

If so, IMM has gone too far!  I will seriously think about moving to Vietnam where expats are treated with a little more respect instead of putting up with any more this sort of nonsense from them.  This is just plain ridiculous!  What are they smoking over there anyway?

If anybody figures out what is REALLY going on, I hope they will clarify. (Hint, Hint, UbonJoe or NancyL) ????

There has been a couple of thousand posts written about what is going on.  The amount of money in the bank has not changed in 20 years or you can still go to your home country and get a 2 year visa with no money in a Thai bank.  Seasoning has extended to 6 month total at 100% and 6 at 50% - I think I got that right.  Most of us are not affected as we either left the money in a Fixed deposit account anyway or used the income method. 

50 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

There has been a couple of thousand posts written about what is going on.  The amount of money in the bank has not changed in 20 years or you can still go to your home country and get a 2 year visa with no money in a Thai bank.  Seasoning has extended to 6 month total at 100% and 6 at 50% - I think I got that right.  Most of us are not affected as we either left the money in a Fixed deposit account anyway or used the income method. 

I read every post, comment often, and yet saw no good explanation until I went to the articles about it via Google. You've simply restated what I just posted, but many of us hadn't quite gotten exactly how these new changes work. It affects me only because I get better interest in a non commercial account. I admit, I've been here 14 years and have gotten lazy, but the new rules as stated in the one article have been confusing as Hell even to Immigration officials throughout Thailand. Hopefully, everyone on the forum has a better grasp of it now.  

1 hour ago, cusanus said:

I read every post, comment often, and yet saw no good explanation until I went to the articles about it via Google. You've simply restated what I just posted, but many of us hadn't quite gotten exactly how these new changes work. It affects me only because I get better interest in a non commercial account. I admit, I've been here 14 years and have gotten lazy, but the new rules as stated in the one article have been confusing as Hell even to Immigration officials throughout Thailand. Hopefully, everyone on the forum has a better grasp of it now.  

Totally agree.  I’m not a stupid person, nor am I lazy but getting to the truth when it comes to Thai Immigration rules, regulations, and procedures is mind boggling.  Even the Officers there seem to offer varying explanation on many things.

BTW, thanks for posting the link.  Unfortunately it makes it only too clear what’s going on.

I have another question that I have not been able to find an “consistent” answer to:  What if I decide I no longer want a retirement visa, and want to revert back to a 6 month METV after the present "retirement" visa ends?  Can I do that when my present visa expires, while still here in Thailand, or do I have to leave the Kingdom and apply from outside?  If I have to apply from outside, must it be from my home country, or could I do it from Vietnam (where I’m planning to visit at that time anyway)?  Just to be clear, my intention is not really to "retire" here, I only applied for the retirement visa because I wanted to be here for a year, and it seemed like the easiest way.  When it ends in September, I still want to be here for anther 6 months but after that I plan to travel to other places, and resume business activities so a retirement visa would not work for that at all.  So, getting a six month visa after my present "retirement" visa expires is my goal.  I'll appreciate any helpful advice.

2 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

There may have been “a couple of thousand posts written about what is going on” but obviously there’s confusion and concerns.  YOU may not be concerned about letting tens of thousands of dollar sit dormant; but I am.  I’ve better things to do with my money than letting it sit in the bank. 

8 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

I have another question that I have not been able to find an “consistent” answer to:  What if I decide I no longer want a retirement visa, and want to revert back to a 6 month METV after the present "retirement" visa ends?  Can I do that when my present visa expires, while still here in Thailand, or do I have to leave the Kingdom and apply from outside?  If I have to apply from outside, must it be from my home country, or could I do it from Vietnam (where I’m planning to visit at that time anyway)?  Just to be clear, my intention is not really to "retire" here, I only applied for the retirement visa because I wanted to be here for a year, and it seemed like the easiest way.  When it ends in September, I still want to be here for anther 6 months but after that I plan to travel to other places, and resume business activities so a retirement visa would not work for that at all.  So, getting a six month visa after my present "retirement" visa expires is my goal.  I'll appreciate any helpful advice.

Thanks for your compliment. I've no answer to this question, but suggest you try discussing it in person at Immigration. I've always gotten good answers there without knowing any Thai. Seems like getting a retirement extension might work okay even if you don't stay that long. 

14 hours ago, cusanus said:

From the link you provided.

"For consecutive visas (so the second and third year) the ฿800,000 has to be in the bank 3 months before you apply for the visa, and the other rules remain the same. Note that you need a letter from your bank verifying the balance and a copy of your bank book."

So not sure what was incorrect about my post?

12 minutes ago, Thailand said:

"For consecutive visas (so the second and third year) the ฿800,000 has to be in the bank 3 months before you apply for the visa, and the other rules remain the same. Note that you need a letter from your bank verifying the balance and a copy of your bank book."

Surely someone should be telling Thai Immigration that you don't apply for a visa in the second and third years, you apply for a further extension?

18 hours ago, Mahseer said:

Just hang on mate there'll be a new Head of Immigration along shortly. 

Getting another "Head of Immigration" won't have any positive impact for Thailands western retirees.  These people rise up from the ranks of poorly trained individuals.  

Even though these people wear police uniforms, they have no real law enforcement training.  They are taught how to process about a half a dozen forms, that is repeated daily, day in and day out until they are eligible to retire.

Thai Immigration has cut a deal with the Thai banks, so the idiotic 800,000 baht in a Thai bank requirement is here to stay, until they feel comfortable enough to increase that amount.  What isn't here to stay is many of the western retirees.  

You won't see anymore articles about baby boomers from the US retiring in the "Land of Smiles."  What you will see are articles warning retirees of the pitfalls of retiring in Thailand.  I suppose Vietnam will take advantage of Thailands folly as well as some of the inexpensive European destinations.

One thing Thailand has done well, is developed an outstanding health care system, so the hospitals will continue to attract foreign visitors.  The reason their health care is so good, is Thailand sends many of their medical students to be trained in western countries.  Just think if they were to send their immigration people to the west to be trained ???? 

26 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

Just think if they were to send their immigration people to the west to be trained ???? 

We'd likely end up having to keep £/$/€ in the banks safe hands instead of the humble baht. Dread the thought myself but no doubt others will spot the positive aspects.

3 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

Getting another "Head of Immigration" won't have any positive impact for Thailands western retirees.  These people rise up from the ranks of poorly trained individuals.  

Even though these people wear police uniforms, they have no real law enforcement training.  They are taught how to process about a half a dozen forms, that is repeated daily, day in and day out until they are eligible to retire.

Thai Immigration has cut a deal with the Thai banks, so the idiotic 800,000 baht in a Thai bank requirement is here to stay, until they feel comfortable enough to increase that amount.  What isn't here to stay is many of the western retirees.  

You won't see anymore articles about baby boomers from the US retiring in the "Land of Smiles."  What you will see are articles warning retirees of the pitfalls of retiring in Thailand.  I suppose Vietnam will take advantage of Thailands folly as well as some of the inexpensive European destinations.

One thing Thailand has done well, is developed an outstanding health care system, so the hospitals will continue to attract foreign visitors.  The reason their health care is so good, is Thailand sends many of their medical students to be trained in western countries.  Just think if they were to send their immigration people to the west to be trained ???? 

Please cite some credible sources showing where Thai Immigration has cut deals with Thai banks.

Sorry if this is not the right place to ask but does anybody know what the latest requirements are for photos when applying for an extension based on retirement in Chiang Mai (as in how many and what size, colour background etc.)? I've looked at older posts but I'd like to know what they are asking for now if possible.

On 4/14/2019 at 9:17 AM, Thailand said:

Under the new rules (effective March, 2019) it has now changed to  2 months in the bank on the date you apply for consecutive extensions, according to UbonJoe in another thread on this. (See link below).  He usually knows what he’s talking about.

And, of course the new rules also require the full amount stay in bank for 3 more months after extension has been granted, and then half that amount must still stay in bank after those 3 months, for the remainder of the year.  

What a bizarre and illogical rule!  It serves no purpose to the economy of Thailand, only to the bank!

Outrageous IMHO!  Thailand has got to have the most confusing and illogical visa regulations of anywhere in Sotheast Asia, if not the world!  

And the the worst part of it all is they don’t even keep their website up to date on such changes!

As an expat haven, the “land of smiles” is loosing its lustre and places like Vietnam are sounding better every day!

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1095026-replacing-a-retirement-visa-at-expiration-with-6-month-metv-can-i-do-it/

7 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

Under the new rules (effective March, 2019) it has now changed to  2 months in the bank on the date you apply for consecutive extensions, according to UbonJoe in another thread on this. (See link below).  He usually knows what he’s talking about. 

I read it 2 months before for the 1st time retirement extension and 3 months before for subsequent extensions. Well, maybe UbonJoe is right, but for myself and others I know it's just easier to keep 800,000 in a fixed account permanently. It would be a real pain to keep shifting money around just to scarf a little extra interest. The new rule seems a bit hostile to me, but perhaps just because it's a new adjustment. We'll have to get used to it. I'm not going back to the USA. https://www.thethailandlife.com/the-thailand-retirement-visa-guide

I have seen several mentions in this thread about Chiang Mai Immigration being open on Saturday to process TM30 updates. Since this TM30 update requirement was started I have avoided coming home for weekends when working in nearby Asian countries as I would not be able to get the TM30 update on a Saturday or Sunday. I obviously want to avoid possible future problems with immigration and the TM30. My wife and I tried calling Chiang Mai Immigration and asking if they were always open on Saturday for TM30 updates but we got different answers. Has anyone seen a sign or online posting that is more definitive? Even though the TM30 update for just a two day stay is onerous there are times that it would be quite convenient to be home for a weekend.

5 hours ago, grin said:

My wife and I tried calling Chiang Mai Immigration and asking if they were always open on Saturday for TM30 updates but we got different answers. Has anyone seen a sign or online posting that is more definitive? Even though the TM30 update for just a two day stay is onerous there are times that it would be quite convenient to be home for a weekend.

I'd go there in person and ask, or maybe even go over on a Saturday and check, because you can't rely on anybody's word here. Yes, the rule is 24 hours, but from what I've understood no one has ever been punished for being a day or two late. In the very small chance you are, will 1600 baht break your back?  If you're that worried, be a hero, go this Saturday and check them out, then report back to the rest of us. 

19 hours ago, Mark1066 said:

Sorry if this is not the right place to ask but does anybody know what the latest requirements are for photos when applying for an extension based on retirement in Chiang Mai (as in how many and what size, colour background etc.)? I've looked at older posts but I'd like to know what they are asking for now if possible.

Can't remember the exact size, but just down the street from the US Consulate (towards the moat corner) on the left there is a small shop that does passport work and takes photos. I often go there and tell them what I need near extension time, I think 100 baht for a quick couple of photos. They for sure will get it right, then you can measure them to see. You can spend a few hours enjoying the local markets, too. In the past, they're also ready to take your photo right there at the Immigration offices. Maybe a short line, but can't get any easier than that. 

14 minutes ago, cusanus said:

I'd go there in person and ask, or maybe even go over on a Saturday and check, because you can't rely on anybody's word here. Yes, the rule is 24 hours, but from what I've understood no one has ever been punished for being a day or two late. In the very small chance you are, will 1600 baht break your back?  If you're that worried, be a hero, go this Saturday and check them out, then report back to the rest of us. 

I'm in Las Vegas now enjoying relatively clean air. The problem here is dust when it's really windy like now.

To be more explicit on the problem: When I come in for just a weekend I cannot get the TM30 updated. Then I may not be back for weeks or even months. So when I try to update the TM30 weeks or months later they would probably fine me.  When I am working in Asia I almost always arrive on a Friday evening whether I'm just staying for two days or a week. When I've stayed home longer than a weekend they have never enforced the 24 hour rule and they seem to be consistently allowing 7 days. The fine is not a back breaker especially if there is some kind of emergency at home. It's just a pain to even have to go in every time I come home even if they were open on a Saturday. If I were only coming and going a few times a year it would not be so onerous.

I have seen several mentions in this thread about Chiang Mai Immigration being open on Saturday to process TM30 updates. Since this TM30 update requirement was started I have avoided coming home for weekends when working in nearby Asian countries as I would not be able to get the TM30 update on a Saturday or Sunday. I obviously want to avoid possible future problems with immigration and the TM30. My wife and I tried calling Chiang Mai Immigration and asking if they were always open on Saturday for TM30 updates but we got different answers. Has anyone seen a sign or online posting that is more definitive? Even though the TM30 update for just a two day stay is onerous there are times that it would be quite convenient to be home for a weekend.

Most people report no problem going in 2-3-5 days late. A few have been asked to do it within 24hrs. Can not recall anybody being fined for a few days late.

Mostly too much worry about nothing.

Imm will not “always” anything.

Sent from my iPod touch using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

If you arrive at CNX during Immigration office hours just have the taxi park up at the petrol station opposite then nip across and update the TM30. You're legal before you even get home and taxi driver picks up a 100baht tip.

Archived