CM Immigration Q&A (2018)

CharlieH

3 hours ago, cusanus said:

I believe it's the consulates that quit accepting them end of 2018, but the letters are still good for some time, three months was it?

six and many consulates can and do still provide the letters, only a few stopped

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

90 day this morning. Arrived at 10:30 and I was finished within 5 minutes!

But what really surprised me was that I turned up with the usual paperwork and the officer handed me back my passport photocopies saying that they were no longer required. Only a completed TM 47 and your passport. Long time over due if you ask me.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

3 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

But what really surprised me was that I turned up with the usual paperwork and the officer handed me back my passport photocopies saying that they were no longer required. Only a completed TM 47 and your passport. Long time over due if you ask me.

Wow! Online has been working great, too. https://extranet.immigration.go.th/fn90online/online/tm47/TM47Action.do

Had to go yesterday because my bank apparently dropped my 90-day paper out of my passport when they took it to photocopy a couple of weeks ago. I didn't know it until I went to post it days later.... Due yesterday so I went at 14:00. I pulled into the parking lot and was immediately led to a parking spot by the security guy - no more than 30 seconds. Went inside and approached the 90-day counter. I happened to glance at my watch... Nobody in the queue. Explained the situation and handed my passport and Notification of staying another 90-days. While the gentleman officer handled the situation, the lady officer had a friendly chat with my kid and I. 90 seconds later I was handed a new 90-day paper set for 1 May. After friendly thanks and wai's I was back to the car in under 5 minutes!

Now I've never once complained about Immigration in 12 years, but yesterday the service was outstanding!

On 1/31/2019 at 2:14 PM, Dmaxdan said:

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

They weren't needed because you showed up in person and presented your original passport. By post you must send them.

About a month ago Tian Visa told me immigration would be open on the weekends for TM-30 updates.  I came back from an overseas trip on a Friday and went to verify this.  There were two Immigration Officers at the first counter to deal with TM-30 matters.  I updated my TM-30 on Saturday morning.  Initially I had plan going on Monday to update my TM-30.  I guess I could have been fined? 

On 2/2/2019 at 11:17 AM, elektrified said:

Had to go yesterday because my bank apparently dropped my 90-day paper out of my passport when they took it to photocopy a couple of weeks ago. I didn't know it until I went to post it days later.... Due yesterday so I went at 14:00. I pulled into the parking lot and was immediately led to a parking spot by the security guy - no more than 30 seconds. Went inside and approached the 90-day counter. I happened to glance at my watch... Nobody in the queue. Explained the situation and handed my passport and Notification of staying another 90-days. While the gentleman officer handled the situation, the lady officer had a friendly chat with my kid and I. 90 seconds later I was handed a new 90-day paper set for 1 May. After friendly thanks and wai's I was back to the car in under 5 minutes!

Now I've never once complained about Immigration in 12 years, but yesterday the service was outstanding!

Wait until this time next year, it will be much better.  There will be far less long term expats in Chiang Mai.  The Thai banks are loving it too because now thanks to Mr. Big Joke, foreigners are putting their money in their banks. 

1 minute ago, CMNightRider said:

Wait until this time next year, it will be much better.  There will be far less long term expats in Chiang Mai.  The Thai banks are loving it too because now, thanks to Mr. Big Joke, foreigners are putting their money in their banks. 

Why will there be less long term expats in Chiang Mai?

Does that not depend on whether the new rules apply to first time applicants for extension of stay based on retirement or all?

And that has yet to be confirmed one way or the other as far as I have seen.

21 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

About a month ago Tian Visa told me immigration would be open on the weekends for TM-30 updates.  I came back from an overseas trip on a Friday and went to verify this.  There were two Immigration Officers at the first counter to deal with TM-30 matters.  I updated my TM-30 on Saturday morning.  Initially I had plan going on Monday to update my TM-30.  I guess I could have been fined? 

I doubt it.  Unless they've changed the rules they actually apply, updating within 4-5 days after returning is fine (two different officers have said that to me).  And I and friends have updated in the last year 2-5 days after returning and that was entirely acceptable (i.e., officers just quickly updated and made no comment at all about any time limit).

I once saw sign at Promenada(at the old TM-30 office on the upper level).  The sign clearly said “Within 24 hours of returning......”).  If 2 to 5 days after returning from an overseas trip was acceptable then why would Immigration be open on Saturday?  The I/O turned away a couple who wanted to extend their visas.  

3 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

I once saw sign at Promenada(at the old TM-30 office on the upper level).  The sign clearly said “Within 24 hours of returning......”).  If 2 to 5 days after returning from an overseas trip was acceptable then why would Immigration be open on Saturday?  The I/O turned away a couple who wanted to extend their visas.  

Do they Open on a Sunday

Or is it Only on a Saturday they Open ??

For the  TM 30

9 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

I've returned from abroad many times in the past and have updated my TM30 within 1 week. Each time, there were no fines or problems.

Within 24 hours is too rushed especially after a  long flight back.

On 1/16/2019 at 10:57 AM, briley said:

Yes TM8 is the correct form,  not  TM7

But I meant the TM6 entry form obtained at the airport or where ever.

TM30 was not required.

Good to see such an improved service there after years of poor service.

Just got back from visiting Imm. to update the TM30 system with my new passport number, as I have been unable to use 90 Day Online.
Arrived about 14:00 and could park. Given number 28 upstairs and seen straight away as no queue.
The main office wasn't crammed full of punters and seemed quite relaxed.

Like night and day compared to Prom.....

6 hours ago, NotEinstein said:

Just got back from visiting Imm. to update the TM30 system with my new passport number, as I have been unable to use 90 Day Online.
Arrived about 14:00 and could park. Given number 28 upstairs and seen straight away as no queue.
The main office wasn't crammed full of punters and seemed quite relaxed.

Like night and day compared to Prom.....

If I had known, I would have taken some photos at the old Prom and compare with the situation now.

I still remember the horrible long standing queue at Prom just to get a queue number.

On 2/10/2019 at 12:03 PM, sqwakvfr said:

They open on Saturday so that the queues won't be so long during weekdays. It has nothing to do with opening just for TM30 updates.

Came to the IO for 90-days reporting this Monday about 11.00am. Unexpectedly everything was going like clockwork.

1) 1 min in the queue to be given a ticket... "No need copy your passaport only fill form please wait there naa krab"...

2) Then after 3 min: "Ticket number one zero zero please come the the counter number zero"...

3) And after another 3 min I left the building holding my passapon with the new stamp.

1+3+3=7

Bingo. Good job

On 2/9/2019 at 12:56 PM, CMNightRider said:

Wait until this time next year, it will be much better.  There will be far less long term expats in Chiang Mai.  The Thai banks are loving it too because now thanks to Mr. Big Joke, foreigners are putting their money in their banks. 

They must not be loving it too much. Went to two banks today to try to open an account. Told them it was for use with immigration for retirement. Neither one would open an account. I'll try a couple of more in the neighborhood tomorrow.

David

On 2/10/2019 at 10:00 PM, EricTh said:

I've returned from abroad many times in the past and have updated my TM30 within 1 week. Each time, there were no fines or problems.

Within 24 hours is too rushed especially after a  long flight back.

Why cant Immigration do this for you on arrival back in Thailand?

12 hours ago, Genericnic said:

They must not be loving it too much. Went to two banks today to try to open an account. Told them it was for use with immigration for retirement. Neither one would open an account. I'll try a couple of more in the neighborhood tomorrow.

David

Suggest your try Bangkok Bank, KSK,my bank for 12 years.Very foreigner friendly and the staff at the desks on the right as you walk in all speak excellent English.Khun Sombat has been my contact and he's helped  many people I have taken there.Should be a simple process providing you have the required documentation.Its a major branch, some of the smaller branches dont want to get involved.

I have a long term investment account  for my 800,000 baht and just roll it over and take out the interest,seems the safest option at present.Chok dee

Suggest your try Bangkok Bank, KSK,my bank for 12 years.Very foreigner friendly and the staff at the desks on the right as you walk in all speak excellent English.Khun Sombat has been my contact and he's helped  many people I have taken there.Should be a simple process providing you have the required documentation.Its a major branch, some of the smaller branches dont want to get involved.

I have a long term investment account  for my 800,000 baht and just roll it over and take out the interest,seems the safest option at present.Chok dee

Yes they are on top of it. Yellow book + pp + 15 minutes = new acct two weeks ago

Sent from my iPod touch using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

15 hours ago, Genericnic said:

Go to the farang-friendly branches. 

For Bangkok Bank, it is Kad Suan Kaew branch. Many foreigners have opened their accounts there with no problem if you have residence cert.

We are still trying to find which branch of SCB is farang-friendliest.

12 hours ago, terminatorchiangmai said:

Does anyone have the new TM 8 form fillable ?

The downloaded one from Immigration website  gives problems half way wit fonts and therefore can not be filled in completely on the computer. Thanks you advance. Cheers

Should probably pass on this because I don't have a fillable form, but why not just fill in a blank one by hand? https://www.immigration.go.th/download/1486547955788.pdf
It's an easy job to make one fillable, too, but I think you have to have Adobe Acrobat or something like that, or you could just superimpose text boxes with either Acrobat or Photoshop. No offense, I'm often that up tight myself, but really...

10 hours ago, cusanus said:

Should probably pass on this because I don't have a fillable form, but why not just fill in a blank one by hand? https://www.immigration.go.th/download/1486547955788.pdf
It's an easy job to make one fillable, too, but I think you have to have Adobe Acrobat or something like that, or you could just superimpose text boxes with either Acrobat or Photoshop. No offense, I'm often that up tight myself, but really...

you should have passed on this one indeed.

This site is for helping each other was my understanding.

Got the downloaded form from Immigration working already in acrobat DC now. (did not worked before in Acrobat Pro)

But thanks for nothing.

Archived