Cops Stumped By Bangkok Underpass Drowning

Jonathan Fairfield

Cops Stumped By Bangkok Underpass Drowning

By Jintamas Saksornchai, Staff Reporter

n17.jpg

A pickup truck is submerged Thursday in a Bangkok underpass where its driver drowned the night before.

BANGKOK — Police vowed justice for a woman who drowned in a Bangkok underpass last week despite not being sure what caused it – or who to hold accountable.

Broken pumps, cracked pipes, hidden springs, construction standards and more have all been considered as investigators seek to explain the death of 41-year-old Phanumas Sae-tae last week in Bangkok’s Prawet district after she got stuck attempting to drive through.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/bangkok/2018/09/11/cops-stumped-by-bangkok-underpass-drowning/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-09-11

Quite possible when she drove in it was deeper than in the photo. Got half way before the car started floating and she then called for help. Car would have then sunk and more water would have entered the area depending on rain and she either drowned in the car or trying to escape as it said she couldn't swim . Maybe a simple height marker painted on the side walls would help indicate the depth in places like this and stop people chancing driving through. Thais seem to think their pick ups also double as submarines from what I have seen over the years !

15 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Police vowed justice for a woman who drowned in a Bangkok underpass last week despite not being sure what caused it – or who to hold accountable.

Start with self-responsibility.  Imho, most Thais feel invincible behind the heavily tinted windows of their powerful trucks and cars.  What could possibly go wrong if you:
Drive at excessive speeds;

Drive aggressively;

Drive your truck though a flooded underpass? 

"Police vowed justice for a woman' translated - "We need to find a patsy to blame for this women's stupidity." 

Risks have consequences (My truck gets flooded and I drown) and rewards (I get home sooner).  Rational people weight the consequences and rewards of risk taking.  She took a risk - and she lost. There is only one person at fault and she paid the ultimate price. 

Edited by connda
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

This was on the Thai News a few days ago... 

If I'm not mistaken the lady drove down the underpass not looking too far ahead and nosed into the water at which time it is suspected she realized it was going to be too deep. 

Gravity and sludge on the road took care of the rest and the stopped car slid further into the water (which at the time was well over head height). 

The poor lady in the car could not open the door (water pressure) the electrics had failed, she could not open the window. She had time to phone her family (or someone) for help before the interior of the pickup flooded with water and she drowned. 

Unfortunately she may have died because she panicked and didn't know how to rescue herself. 

How many people have something which could smash the window and also cut away a seatbelt?

Actually, pretty much everyone has something which could smash a window - removing the headrest and using the metal bars on that is designed to smash a window. 

Ultimately a tragic story, but a situation which for most people is difficult to get into in the first place and for most others easy enough to escape from. 

Thank you.  Reading the posts from smug <deleted> above calling the woman stupid for not just getting out make me sick.  Then others expanding that same stupidity to the whole Thai race.  Disgraceful morons that should be ashamed.  A poor woman died a horrible (and yes, avoidable) death.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

Thank you.  Reading the posts from smug <deleted> above calling the woman stupid for not just getting out make me sick.  Then others expanding that same stupidity to the whole Thai race.  Disgraceful morons that should be ashamed.  A poor woman died a horrible (and yes, avoidable) death.

Well, that report from some TV station at some time that some Thai person told to some farang..... where are the 'facts',  where is the link?

Seems, if that was the case... it would be all guess work... because how do they know?  There were no witnesses?  For sludge to drag the car down so quickly is not really believable... as well as there is not any sludge there anyway.  

Most people would have the instinct to get out the car ASAP..  before it started to sink in deep water.....or at lease break a window.  

There is no way that the seatbelt jammed, all electrics failed, all the doors were stuck shut.. all at the same time, and the car was suddenly submerged totally underwater in seconds with no time to do anything.  

Also, if the water pressure was keeping to door closed.. if she sat in it while it sank without trying to get out (perhaps while she was using her phone to call people),  then all she had to do was wait till the water level in the car was higher before she could open the door.

The story is just too strange.  There must have been other factors at play... perhaps the woman was disabled or elderly so could not get out of the car?  

Whatever the reason, I am sorry she died like that, but most people would not have driven down into a flooded underpass... or at least stopped when they realised the water level was getting too deep...……...

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Well, that report from some TV station at some time that some Thai person told to some farang..... where are the 'facts',  where is the link?

Seems, if that was the case... it would be all guess work... because how do they know?  There were no witnesses?  For sludge to drag the car down so quickly is not really believable... as well as there is not any sludge there anyway.  

Most people would have the instinct to get out the car ASAP..  before it started to sink in deep water.....or at lease break a window.  

There is no way that the seatbelt jammed, all electrics failed, all the doors were stuck shut.. all at the same time, and the car was suddenly submerged totally underwater in seconds with no time to do anything.  

Also, if the water pressure was keeping to door closed.. if she sat in it while it sank without trying to get out (perhaps while she was using her phone to call people),  then all she had to do was wait till the water level in the car was higher before she could open the door.

The story is just too strange.  There must have been other factors at play... perhaps the woman was disabled or elderly so could not get out of the car?  

Whatever the reason, I am sorry she died like that, but most people would not have driven down into a flooded underpass... or at least stopped when they realised the water level was getting too deep...……...

The 'Some Thai' person you are referring to is a Chanel 3 News reporter a couple of mornings ago. 

If you want facts you'll have to dig yourself... the report I watched and have relayed was good enough for me (some Farang watching just some Thai Person on just some electronic box thingy). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

Yeah, you're right, so simple.  None of that stuff happened because it was only a Thai that said it to a farang.  The poor woman probably just decided to stay in the car because she couldn't be bothered getting out - typical lazy Thai.  Probably doing her makeup or checking Facebook.

Just wait until it filled up then open the door, simple as that.  I know that, you know that, a lot of people don't and go in to panic mode - probably the majority of people.  Of course if you were in a similar situation you'd handle it calmly and perfectly because you are a farang and far superior.  You'd just open the door, get out and paddle to safety.  Anyway, like you say, there is absolutely no way she tried to get out but the pressure meant she couldn't open the door, no way.  Something is afoot here.  Her phone call for help was probably a lie too.

Please disregard my earlier post.  She clearly died because she couldn't be bothered saving herself and it was all a big conspiracy to suggest otherwise.

You really should be a detective (not of the armchair variety) - you're a natural.

• Like 1

while I have not tried it, my general experience with 12 Volt car circuits is that they work OK in water.  Water is of course a bit of a conductor of electricity but I am pretty sure the connection from the battery through to the window switch would work under water.  I bet there is somebody on youtube that did such a demo

12 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

while I have not tried it, my general experience with 12 Volt car circuits is that they work OK in water.  Water is of course a bit of a conductor of electricity but I am pretty sure the connection from the battery through to the window switch would work under water.  I bet there is somebody on youtube that did such a demo

You're right...  A mythbusters episode shows the electric windows to function on a partially submerged car. 

However, once submerged there is too much water pressure against the windows, the motor is insufficient to open the window even with the electrical power. 

Similarly, human power is also insufficient to open a manual window once the vehicle is fully submerged. 

20 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

Yes.... but unfortunately, it wasn't a demo.

13 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Yes.... but unfortunately, it wasn't a demo.

Wow, that's awful, but just shows how things can escalate quickly and unexpectedly.

Waiting for Jak2002003 to come along now to say how that can't happen.

Edited by josephbloggs

16 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

I've been through this underpass many times as my friend lives in the Golden Nakara, and even on a night of heavy rain I've never seen it flooded. The housing community is on the other side of the railway line from the Bangkok-Chonburi motorway so from that side there's no way in other than via the underpass. I'm as baffled as the investigators are as to why the flash flood occurred, so I don't think it's at all reasonable to blame the woman for not knowing how to respond to what appeared to be pretty much a freak incident.

On a side note, I see that the underpass was constructed by Italian-Thai, so it's probably safe to assume there'll be no blame apportioned in that direction while the black panther's relatives are still looking for justice. 

Edited by lamyai3
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The 'Some Thai' person you are referring to is a Chanel 3 News reporter a couple of mornings ago. 

If you want facts you'll have to dig yourself... the report I watched and have relayed was good enough for me (some Farang watching just some Thai Person on just some electronic box thingy). 

Date, time, link?  Would be interesting to see that report.  You must be very good with your Thai language skills to understand what the news reports were saying in such detail... although you did say in your earlier post you might be mistaken.  

13 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Yeah, you're right, so simple.  None of that stuff happened because it was only a Thai that said it to a farang.  The poor woman probably just decided to stay in the car because she couldn't be bothered getting out - typical lazy Thai.  Probably doing her makeup or checking Facebook.

Why are you saying I am raciest?!  Where have I ever said that people are 'only a Thai' or Thai people are 'typical Lazy'?

You are just making that nasty stuff up for your own agenda.  

• Sad 1