Tony Blair - world's strategy for countering Islamist extremism flawed

webfact

Tony Blair - world's strategy for countering Islamist extremism flawed

2018-09-12T211812Z_1_LYNXNPEE8B29M_RTROPTP_4_MILKEN-CONFERENCE-BLAIR.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Tony Blair, Former Prime Minister, Great Britain and Northern Ireland speaks at the Milken Institute 21st Global Conference in Beverly Hills, California, U.S., April 30, 2018. REUTERS/Mike Blake

LONDON (Reuters) - Former British Prime Minister Tony Blair will warn on Thursday that the threat from Islamist militants is growing and the current approach for tackling the threat will fail unless there is a global strategy to tackle the roots of extremism.

Launching a new "Global Extremism Monitor" by his Institute for Global Change that tracks incidents of Islamist extremism, Blair will say that "security alone will never be enough" and governments need to focus more on prevention.

In a report, his institute found there are 121 violent Islamist groups operating globally and they were responsible for more than 84,000 deaths in 2017, mainly in Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia and Nigeria.

Blair, Labour prime minister from 1997 to 2007, said the world spends hundreds of billions of dollars each year on new security at airports and counter-terrorism, but only a fraction of that amount on measures to tackle the underlying ideology.

He instead calls for higher spending on education and development, investing in war-torn states and supporting Muslim leaders working to counter extremism.

"Security measures will be vital. But security alone will never be enough. It will only slow the violence," Blair said. "Unless there is a global will to meet the depth of the challenges, the ideology of Islamism will grow—and with it, the violence. It is time to act."

The former prime minister, who led Britain into the Iraq conflict in 2003, has admitted in the past that the invasion was partly responsible for the rise of Islamic State, which until last year controlled large areas in Syria and Iraq.

Blair said Muslims were the main victims of Islamist extremism with two-thirds of all attacks aimed at civilians taking place in Muslim-majority countries.

(Reporting By Andrew MacAskill; editing by Guy Faulconbridge)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-09-13

20 minutes ago, pegman said:

Not much chance of that. The only viable option may be International Criminal Court indictments for him, Bush the Younger and Cheney re:Iraq War.

Beat that drum...."viable" in your fantasies, perhaps.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dexterm said:

I agree with him that "governments need to focus more on prevention", but what incredible hypocritical chutzpah from a man who was leader of a government that then and now supports and sell arms to racist apartheid regimes, unelected aristocracies and corrupt dictatorships in the Middle East.

This from one of the men who led the charge to start a war that ruined a country and spawned these terrorists such as ISIS, on the phoney pretext of looking for non existent WMD. 

OP..
"The former prime minister, who led Britain into the Iraq conflict in 2003, has admitted in the past that the invasion was partly responsible for the rise of Islamic State, which until last year controlled large areas in Syria and Iraq"

Good strategy really , instead of Countries having wars .

Destabilise them and get them to fight each other in a civil war .

Instead of Iraq waging war on other Countries , get the internal factions to fight among themselves and sell them arms, for good measure

9 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Good strategy really , instead of Countries having wars .

Destabilise them and get them to fight each other in a civil war .

Instead of Iraq waging war on other Countries , get the internal factions to fight among themselves and sell them arms, for good measure

I agree that that is exactly how his and the current UK government operate. Just pointing out how hypocritical Blair is now to suggest leaders should tackle the causes of terrorism spawning resentment that was actually created by him.

Edited by dexterm
  • Like 2

"Security measures will be vital. But security alone will never be enough. It will only slow the violence," Blair said. "Unless there is a global will to meet the depth of the challenges, the ideology of Islamism will grow—and with it, the violence. It is time to act."

“He instead calls for higher spending on education and development, investing in war-torn states and supporting Muslim leaders working to counter extremism”

The above points made by Blair are entirely reasonable.

But please do let your hatred of the man override your ability to see the sense in what he said.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, phitsanulokjohn said:

100% correct Dev.

People in greenhouses shouldn't throw stones.

He was wrong then and he is wrong now.

With regards to Iraq,Tony Moroney was so far up George W's chamber,he needed a torch to navigate.

You can presumably explain in what way ‘he’s wrong now’, I’d be interested to hear your arguments backing up your declaration, give it a go.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Wishful thinking, but here is the probable reason why this will not happen......

On a lecture by lecture basis, Blair is likely the world’s best paid speaker. In 2009, he made almost $616,000 for two half-hour speeches given in the Philippines, raking in over $10,000 a minute.

I can understand why people would pay money to throw rotten fruit and veg. at Blair - but pay to listen to him??!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, nahkit said:

Yeah, right, she forced those poor Argentinians to invade didn't she?

Were you actually born then ? By way of that ridiculous comment I doubt you were.  Read the history and see exactly which Argentinians  were allowed, how the UK were warned at the UN ( which they ignored)  and then the pretense later.  But it worked for her, she got re-elected.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I know what you mean, but Blair has proven himself to not only be a liar, but also someone who will do or say anything to gain more money/power.

Consequently, it's understandable why any comments he makes should/must be treated with derision.  You can pretty much guarantee that his latest comments are based on the hope that he will gain some well-paid role over-seeing "higher spending on education and development, investing in war-torn states and supporting Muslim leaders working to counter extremism"......

I suspect that most people already agree about "investing in war-torn states and supporting Muslim leaders working to counter terrorism" - but as another poster pointed out, Blair shares a large part of the responsibly for creating the rise in terrorism!

It takes one hell of a lot of nerve/audacity/hunger for power and money to comment to the media on this topic.  One that he was partially responsible (as he finally admits) for creating.....

OK so you use your own cynicism to avoid listening to what he said.

That’s no measure of the sense in his suggestions.

• Sad 2

27 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I know what you mean, but Blair has proven himself to not only be a liar, but also someone who will do or say anything to gain more money/power.

Consequently, it's understandable why any comments he makes should/must be treated with derision.  You can pretty much guarantee that his latest comments are based on the hope that he will gain some well-paid role over-seeing "higher spending on education and development, investing in war-torn states and supporting Muslim leaders working to counter extremism"......

I suspect that most people already agree about "investing in war-torn states and supporting Muslim leaders working to counter terrorism" - but as another poster pointed out, Blair shares a large part of the responsibly for creating the rise in terrorism!

In view of this, it takes one hell of a lot of nerve/audacity/hunger for power and money for someone in his position to comment to the media on this topic.  One that he was partially responsible (as he finally admits) for creating.....

19 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

OK so you use your own cynicism to avoid listening to what he said.

That’s no measure of the sense in his suggestions.

Not at all.  I treat his comments with derision for the reasons quoted in my post that you've ignored. i.e.:-

"I suspect that most people already agree about "investing in war-torn states and supporting Muslim leaders working to counter terrorism" .

My 'beef' is that blair (of all people!) would have the nerve to comment to the media on a subject for which he is partially responsible!

And, (sorry about this) to repeat another of my comments quoted above:-

"You can pretty much guarantee that his latest comments are based on the hope that he will gain some well-paid role over-seeing "higher spending on education and development, investing in war-torn states and supporting Muslim leaders working to counter extremism"...."

Edited by dick dasterdly
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You can presumably explain in what way ‘he’s wrong now’, I’d be interested to hear your arguments backing up your declaration, give it a go.

Trying to figure out exactly  what Blair is promoting..

Some vague extracts from the OP..
"governments need to focus more on prevention.

..only a fraction of that amount on measures to tackle the underlying ideology.

..He instead calls for higher spending on education and development, investing in war-torn states and supporting Muslim leaders working to counter extremism.

..."Unless there is a global will to meet the depth of the challenges, the ideology of Islamism will grow—and with it, the violence. It is time to act.""

Not quite sure what Blair means by this? Increase spending on infrastructue and education? Re-educating people that extremism in religion is bad (I agree).

But he does not seem to be advocating any changes in UK and other western governments' interference in Middle Eastern affairs which causes the resentment that drives young people into radicalization. That's the root cause of the extremism. When young people feel so frustrated that the west hypocritically talks about democracy, civil/human rights and freedom, then seems to quash their dreams by supporting their corrupt governments. Think the west's failure to support the seeds of better societies in the Arab spring.

It's all very well building schools and hospitals, but what's the point if one also sells arms to corrupt fascist regimes to destroy them.

What radical changes do you think Blair has in mind?

• Like 1