Russians accused by UK in spy case: We were in Salisbury for tourism

snoop1130

Russians accused by UK in spy case: We were in Salisbury for tourism

By Andrew Osborn

zxvfdf.JPG

FILE PHOTO: The forensic tent, covering the bench where Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia were found, is repositioned by officials in protective suits in the centre of Salisbury, Britain, March 8, 2018. REUTERS/Peter Nicholls/File Photo

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Two Russians appeared on state television on Thursday, saying they had been wrongly accused by Britain of trying to murder a former Russian spy and his daughter in England and had been visiting Salisbury in March for tourism.

British prosecutors last week identified two Russians they said were operating under aliases - Alexander Petrov and Ruslan Boshirov - whom they accused of trying to poison Sergei and Yulia Skripal with a military-grade nerve agent in England.

The two men who appeared on Russia’s state-funded RT television station had some physical similarities to the men shown in British police images.

“Our friends had been suggesting for a long time that we visit this wonderful town,” one of the men said of the English town of Salisbury in a short clip of the interview played by RT.

They said they may have approached Sergei Skripal’s house by chance but did not know where it was located. They had stayed less than hour in Salisbury, they said, because of bad weather.

Britain has said the two suspects were Russian military intelligence officers almost certainly acting on orders from high up in the Russian state. Russia has repeatedly denied any involvement in the case.

Skripal - a former Russian military intelligence colonel who betrayed dozens of agents to Britain’s MI6 foreign intelligence service - and his daughter were found slumped unconscious on a bench in the English city of Salisbury in March. They spent weeks in hospital before being discharged.

The two men said they did not work for GRU, were ordinary businessmen, and the victim of what they called “a fantastical coincidence.”

The duo surfaced a day after President Vladimir Putin said Russia had located Petrov and Boshirov, but that there was nothing special or criminal about them. He expressed hope they would come forward and speak publicly.

The affair returned to the headlines in July when a woman near Salisbury, Dawn Sturgess, died and her partner Charlie Rowley fell ill after Rowley found a counterfeit bottle of Nina Ricci perfume containing the Novichok nerve agent and brought it home.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-9-13
  • Haha 1

The two secret Russia undercover GRU Comrade-Tovarish Assassins apparently used their real names and passports.

The thing about the Skripal Farce is that Boshirov & Petrov don’t have to justify or prove anything. The British Govt does. There’s no verifiable evidence actually linking these two to the Skripals.

Oh and by the way, where are the Skripals?

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

47 minutes ago, Topdoc said:

The two secret Russia undercover GRU Comrade-Tovarish Assassins apparently used their real names and passports.

The thing about the Skripal Farce is that Boshirov & Petrov don’t have to justify or prove anything. The British Govt does. There’s no verifiable evidence actually linking these two to the Skripals.

Oh and by the way, where are the Skripals?

The accused could volunteer to have the opportunity to prove their innocence in a UK Court, but will not. Why do you expect HMG to put on the public record secret intelligence matters which would be presented in camera? However, evidence in the public record to date...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43643025

One thing for sure, if I were the Skripals I would not want in the public domain where I am located.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Amazing how the one place they stay has traces of Novichok.  Those images shown on the bbc link sure don't look like they were out for tourism.  Those are a couple Shady looking characters. Also got to love the timing of their departure on the exact same day of the incident.

Harmless tourists indeed!

• Like 2

Whoever prepped them for that did not do a great job.  Sitting back, hands out of view and expressionless faces does not seem to tally with the claim of being upset and scared at their lives being turned upside down.  I expected more leaning forward, anguished faces and imploring hand movements begging people to believe that they were innocent and wrongly accused of murder.  They look more like a pair of confident people with no worries at all who know they can't be touched.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, vogie said:

Looks very orchestrated, not convincing in the least.

3 hours ago, JAG said:

I quite like Salisbury, but I find it hard to believe that two men would fly all the way from Moscow to visit it for an hour or so!

Sure, fly all the way from Russia to the UK and then travel to Salisbury to quickly see the cathedral but skip seeing Stonehenge, which is about 13 kilometers away from the city.  (I am sure the cathedral is lovely, but it isn't Stonehenge.). 

1 minute ago, Basil B said:

More like trying to insult our intelligence...

No. I don't think it's meant to be believable. It's a big troll. He doesn't care what westerners think and he'd do it again and MUCH WORSE in heartbeat. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, CGW said:

Anti - Russian sentiment certainly seems to be working very effectively ? 

Well done media, sure you have no alternative agenda ?

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

So, dude, do you believe them? 

This would be a good question if it didn't rely entirely on political/media propaganda/bias!

Personally, I still have little idea as apparently the 'genuine proof' cannot be revealed as it my harm 'national security'.  According to another poster....

Yes, it seems more than likely that the russians were responsible - but the whole thing would be a farce, except one innocent person died as a result. ☹️

Edited by dick dasterdly
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Snow Leopard said:

Do they expect anyone to believe their TV interview in Russia? Quoted straight from Wikipedia I think on the facts about Salisbury. 2 Russian tourists arrive in London Gatwick at 3pm on Friday afternoon and then go to Salisbury twice and then fly out of Heathrow at 10:30pm on Sunday. Really.....

Funny interview by Russia Today. Real journalist would have asked how many times they have visited UK, what other similar places around the world they have visited to see some cathedrals. Could they tell some details of these other places etc. etc.

Rather culturel people on fitness business these days..