UK supermarket Morrisons to sell products in Big C

webfact

2 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Please educate me which part of 1.38 Euro for 275gr Coeur de lion in France and 377 Baht for 150 gram of the same product, doesn't enter your skull.

This is so wrong ! it is not sold for more than 250 thb at BigC. So funny how much people know and understand nothing.

2 minutes ago, imcagr said:

This is so wrong ! it is not sold for more than 250 thb at BigC. So funny how much people know and understand nothing.

I will apologize to the whole forum when you post a link or picture that shows that is sold at no more than 250 Baht at Big C.

Otherwise, stop lying and trolling.

• Haha 1

On 9/18/2018 at 2:21 PM, rohitsuk said:

It is, in fact, becoming increasingly difficult to find anything in Thailand that is actually cheaper than the UK and certainly food and drink but also clothes and house hold stuff.   Yes, you can still get a decent bowl of noodles, if you know where to look, for B40 and a tooth filling for B700 but not much else.  A haircut B40 ten years ago is now B120, same shop and even same chap doing the cutting.  I can get it done for that in the UK on pensioners’ discount day, well ₤3 anyway and no tip expected from old gimmers !

Although like for like , the cheapest haircut in Thailand would be about 50 Baht , and the cheapest in the UK would be about 250 Baht (excluding special discounts)

• Like 1

On 9/18/2018 at 2:21 PM, rohitsuk said:

A bottle of Jacob's Creek wine is B273 in the UK so why is it B650 in Thailand when it has only travelled half the distance from its Australian origin ?  A bottle of Nivea for Men Invisible deodorant is B40 in the UK and B110 here.  In both cases the multiple is close to 2.5 times and do keep an eye on that number as it is becoming much more common. 

Luxury import tax .

Just see it as giving a sip of your wine to one of Thailands poor or to a Captain on a  new submarine

On 9/14/2018 at 10:20 AM, keith101 said:

Uttaradit does not have a Big C yet but one has been proposed , how much extra are people going to have to pay for all of these imported goods an example i usually the Australian cereal Weet-Bix which was 98baht per box of 24 rom Tesco Lotus but it is now 108baht so i wont be buying them any more it seems that Tesco is raising the prices of most things making it very expensive to shop there these days especially with the exchange rate the way it is on the Aussie dollar .

Agreed, seems lotus is losing the plot, every week prices on imported goods are increased by large margins even though Aus and NZ exchange rates are at their lowest for  many years. 

• Like 1

Although like for like , the cheapest haircut in Thailand would be about 50 Baht , and the cheapest in the UK would be about 250 Baht (excluding special discounts)
My wife charges 50 baht for ladies cut (hair colour 120 baht)and is accused of being expensive. When you factor in power, water, laundry and consumables I've convinced her it's not worth the effort.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 9/28/2018 at 8:38 PM, JAG said:

Consider: they have to be shipped halfway round the world before they get into the supermarkets domestic distribution system, they are very unlikely to be selling them in quantities which will ensure a decent wholesale price from the producer, and that's before we consider what the supermarket reckons as a decent mark up on a line which frankly requires a lot of effort for relatively few sales. Don't get me wrong, I like a NAAFI growler from time to time, but let's be under no illusions about the economics involved...

I agree with what you are saying, but when I can go to Singapore and buy the same goods at half the price of Thailand I have to suspect that the Thailand "cartels" are gouging!

• Like 2

On 9/14/2018 at 1:19 PM, trainman34014 said:

What i hope is that they will bring more lines than Tesco do.  How about some decent Spread Cheese, Pate, Pork Pies, Cornish Pasties and a lot more English Biscuit lines than Tesco do ?    It will be good if they have studied what's already available here and add to it, not copy it.

Yes, yes please pies, pies and pasties would be good for those of us not living near BKK or a resort.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2018 at 11:37 AM, Fex Bluse said:

Everything in Thailand controlled by a handful of uber wealthy Thai-Chinese families who we are making filthy rich every second by buying grossly inflated products. Not many ways around this in Thailand unfortunately. These Thai-Chinese families control the entire supply chain in Thailand from the ports to our mouths. Only remedy is learn to eat and drink what the locals do.

On 9/26/2018 at 3:36 PM, bubba said:

sorry, I didn't know about that.

OK, how about a 70 year old?

4 hours ago, CGW said:

I agree with what you are saying, but when I can go to Singapore and buy the same goods at half the price of Thailand I have to suspect that the Thailand "cartels" are gouging!

Spot on.  Some things are a rip off most places.  The difference is that everything in Thailand is a rip off but, of course, mostly it is the Thai people themselves who are being ripped off.  Whatever the vanishing wine box conspiracy was all about we shall never know but definitely not to curb excessive drinking, the effect has been a 40% + increase in the rip off.  Fortunately it was mainly the most apalling nat's piss and nobody is going to miss it.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 10/2/2018 at 5:54 PM, rott said:

Yes, yes please pies, pies and pasties would be good for those of us not living near BKK or a resort.

I can't imagine ever seeing a Thai person eating a Cornish pasty, let alone paying 200 baht for the privilege! Maybe a Thai who studied in the UK and came home afterwards, even then the difference in quality would surely put them off.

So even if they can make them here to a good standard (which I highly doubt), they aren't going to sell many so the price has to cover the ones they chuck away.

Cornish pasties are very easy to make at home and can be baked inside one of those oil-drum type bbq's, so I think you'd be much better off making them yourself. I've done some pretty good ones (but without swede because I couldn't get it - no big loss), and also pizza, shepherds pie, lasagne, french bread, fish and chips, home made pasta etc, although I mostly just eat local food because most foreign dishes usually seem to include at least one ingredient which makes it uneconomical to cook regularly (like fresh beef, mozzarella cheese, mexican fajitas, or imported flour).

Edited by pr9spk
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, mikebell said:

I'd love to be able to afford Heinz Beanz AND digestive biscuits.  When friends/family visit I always ask for the above and roll-on deodorants which are double the UK price thanks to Thai cartels.

Yh but versus all the things that don't cost a packet in Thailand. Means you would moan regardless of the cost. Just a moaner. I'm with you on the beans though.

49 minutes ago, mikebell said:

I'd love to be able to afford Heinz Beanz AND digestive biscuits.  When friends/family visit I always ask for the above and roll-on deodorants which are double the UK price thanks to Thai cartels.

Have a tin of Heinz beans in my cupboard. Bought them from my local expat store when they were on offer.

Always had a thing for McVities plain chocolate digestives. Bought them twice here, once from Big C, took them home and stored them in the fridge. On both occasions, when I tried to eat them, I found that the chocolate had previously melted and they'd set into a solid block. No point in buying them.

• Like 2

Dessicated coconut packaged plainly was on offer in Foodland for cheap. Now it's on offer as brand name for three times the price.

Local mince beef is no longer available in Foodland. NZ version only at double the price.

Recently I bought beef at big C. They are the go to place for good prices. I fear prices will go up on special items. 

Btw. I don't buy coconut or beef from Foodland anymore.

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:20 AM, keith101 said:

Uttaradit does not have a Big C yet but one has been proposed , how much extra are people going to have to pay for all of these imported goods an example i usually the Australian cereal Weet-Bix which was 98baht per box of 24 rom Tesco Lotus but it is now 108baht so i wont be buying them any more it seems that Tesco is raising the prices of most things making it very expensive to shop there these days especially with the exchange rate the way it is on the Aussie dollar .

Tesco are not cheap, there is little competition here so the charge the most they can get, I avoid them here and in the UK.