Grim reports on climate change say act now or be ready for catastrophe

webfact

You are now calling me a liar and a fool.  Nice.  

No idea what you are talking about, and since you have not told me, despite me asking you 3 times what I wrote that upset you so much, I can only conclude you are making stuff up to cause a problem.  I am not going to apologise to you for something I have no idea what I did to upset you.

Your comprehension skills could well be at fault. I did not call you a liar and a fool, I called you a liar or a fool.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

What's the problem, Mogandave? I don't see that Jak is lying, although there is always the potential for misinterpretation when people simplify the term,' Anthropogenic-induced climate change' and just write 'climate change', as in 'climate change denier'.

The term 'climate change denier' is sloppy and misleading. No-one who has any understanding of climate would deny the fact that climate is always changing, regardless of any influences from mankind's activities.
The current warming seems quite natural in relation to previous warm and cool periods, such as the Roman Warm Period, followed by the cooler Dark Ages, followed by the Medieval Warm Period, followed by the Little Ice Age.
That mankind's activities have contributed to the current warming, to some slight degree, is a reasonable deduction.

I think Jak is replying to your post #431 within the context of your previous posts, such as post #429 where you wrote, "I’m 60 and I never met anyone that (as far as I know) has denied evolution in its entirety. Neither have I met anyone that denies the climate is changing. I can only imagine where one would meet such people."

Going from what I said (above) to what Jak claims I said (way further above) is intellectually lazy at best.

3 hours ago, mogandave said:

Your comprehension skills could well be at fault. I did not call you a liar and a fool, I called you a liar or a fool.

I have given you the benefit of the doubt.  But now I can clearly see you are just trying to get an argument.  Sad. 

(Always) Ten Years Left To Save The Planet

Every ten years, climate scientists say we have ten years left to save the planet. Sometimes they want to save it from global warming, other times they say they want to save it from global cooling.  Very Revealng and true video.. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mogandave said:

I. E. I know you’re right but I’ll just attack you and shut the discussion down.

Sad

Why is your text so small when you quote someone ?  Another Thaivisa special ? 

13 hours ago, balo said:

Why is your text so small when you quote someone ?  Another Thaivisa special ? 

Matches my mind?

I just noticed. I usually post using my phone. It looks full size on the phone, but I just noticed using the laptop it looks small size...

12 minutes ago, mogandave said:

but I just noticed using the laptop it looks small size...

Yes crazy stuff this , and they think they have upgraded and made everything better. WIth my laptop I now have to zoom in to read all the posts sent from phones. This is 2018 , go back to 2004 and Thaivisa worked better. 

On 9/18/2018 at 5:12 PM, Catoni said:

Well... in general...  people do best in wamer times.  Civilization began, and also made their greatest advances during warmer times....  not so much during the intevening colder periods.   (Holocene Climate Optimum and the end of hunter/gatherer....beginning of agriculture and first villages/cities).  The Minoan Warm Period, Roman Warm Period, Medieval Warm Period...

Not so good during the cooler times....  

We just came out of a 550 year cooler time... the Little Ice Age..(circa 1300 - 1850) with longer, colder more bitter winters, shorter growing seasons, failed harvests, famine and lots of early death from easier disease spread due to people spending lots more time close together indoors...

The I.P.C.C. says we warmed only 0.85 degree C between 1880 - 2012. (Third, fourth and fifth Assessment Reports.)

You think 0.85 degree C over a period of time of 132 years is fast compared to the past ?  You haven't heard of Abrupt Climate Change?  (Like 10 degrees in 10 years or even less.  That is fast.) 

Tell me.... what do you expect it to do after a nasty colder time ends.  Do you expect it to warm up for a couple of hundred years?   

Or get colder.. . LOL   ? 

By the way..  CO2 is not pollution.  And compared to almost all of the last 500 - 600 million years....  CO2 level is extremely low right now.   

We actually reached a level of 180ppm before.......

What do you think would have happened if we went below 150 ppm atmospheric CO2 ? ? ? 

You're a "scientist" ? ?   

Here's some more scientists

These scientists have said that it is not possible to project global climate accurately enough to justify the ranges projected for temperature and sea-level rise over the 21st century. They may not conclude specifically that the current IPCC projections are either too high or too low, but that the projections are likely to be inaccurate due to inadequacies of current global climate modeling.

These scientists have said that the observed warming is more likely to be attributable to natural causes than to human activities. Their views on climate change are usually described in more detail in their biographical articles.

These scientists have said that no principal cause can be ascribed to the observed rising temperatures, whether man-made or natural.

These scientists have said that projected rising temperatures will be of little impact or a net positive for society or the environment.

When out of the hundreds of thousands of scientists in the world, you're stuck having to throw in zoologist, geographers, and electrical engineers just to pad out your list to a few dozen, you expose the deficiency of your own position. The large majority of people you list have literally never worked in climate science, some of them aren't even scientists...and you still only managed to get 50 or so names out of literally hundreds of thousands.

I could make a longer list of scientists who believe that 9/11 was an inside job, or that world governments are covering up the existence of aliens.

Edited by Bangkok Herps

8 minutes ago, Bangkok Herps said:

When out of the hundreds of thousands of scientists in the world, you're stuck having to throw in zoologist, geographers, and electrical engineers just to pad out your list to a few dozen, you expose the deficiency of your own position. The large majority of people you list have literally never worked in climate science, some of them aren't even scientists...and you still only managed to get 50 or so names out of literally hundreds of thousands.

I could make a longer list of scientists who believe that 9/11 was an inside job, or that world governments are covering up the existence of aliens.

Oops, there goes the goal posts again. Hard to catch up to those darn things.

The 9/11 thing is a non starter. Everyone knows there are thousands of engineers and architects that say the WT towers were felled by controlled demolition.

But I would like to see you compile that alien list you mentioned.

Edited by canuckamuck

All the obsessed and theoretical discussion, perhaps the bottom line might be what nature decides. 

We do consider ourselves terribly special and the centre of all things, don't we?

What if we're not. 

Uh-oh....

????

3 hours ago, Bangkok Herps said:

These scientists have said that it is not possible to project global climate accurately enough to justify the ranges projected for temperature and sea-level rise over the 21st century. They may not conclude specifically that the current IPCC projections are either too high or too low, but that the projections are likely to be inaccurate due to inadequacies of current global climate modeling.

I think if a world-wide survey were done, most scientists would agree with the above quote. In other words, millions of them would understand the uncertainty of predictions or projections of such a complex and chaotic system as the earth's climate.
However, many scientists working in Climate Research Centers would probably be reluctant to openly admit, publicly, their opinion that the projections are very uncertain, because they understand that their careers are dependent upon the alarm about climate change being maintained.

This is not a conspiracy but the normal psychology of workplace relations. If one disagrees with the fundamental premises of whatever organization one is working with, or employed by, then one has no future career in such an organization. 
Unless one keeps quiet about the personal doubts that one has, that rising CO2 levels are the main driver of the current slight warming, and that such slight warming will be bad for our future well-being, for example, then one will be criticised by one's colleagues. One will be unlikely to get promotion or have one's research papers peer reviewed, so one might as well leave, and express one's opinion outside of the system. Whistle blowers are not treated well.

However, I imagine that some of those skeptical scientists might justify to themselves that maintaining an alarm about the negative effects of CO2 will have positive effects in the long run, in terms of more efficient 'alternative' energy supplies, which probably wouldn't have been developed without that alarm about the effects of rising CO2 levels being maintained.

If in 30, or 50, or 100 years' time, a global cooling trend becomes undeniable, despite higher CO2 levels than present (or even the same levels as present), and climate scientists begin to admit that they got it wrong about the role of minuscule amounts of CO2 in the atmosphere, then at least we will be able to go back to burning fossil fuels with new, high-technology, low-emission power plants whilst also getting the benefits of efficient solar-generated electricity and electric cars.

Energy supplies are the fundamental resource which is necessary for all human activity and our general prosperity. The more the better, provided it's reasonably clean.

With that increased supply of energy, combining both fossil fuels and efficient alternative energy supplies, we should then be able to tackle the real solution to our concerns about climate change, which are actually concerns about extreme weather events, such as droughts, floods, hurricanes, and sea level rises combined with land sinking in certain areas such as Bangkok.

Tackling the real problem requires huge amounts of energy. It requires the construction of lots of flood-mitigation dams, enforcing building regulations that require all houses to withstand the force of previous hurricanes that have landed in the area, and requiring that all houses to be built above the level of previous floods in the area.

This is currently too expensive, so blaming the destruction caused by extreme weather events on CO2 levels, gives the politicians and administrators a way out. Instead of being accused of incompetence because they have not built the necessary flood mitigation dams to eliminate or at least reduce the damage from a flood which is a fairly regular occurrence and usually not as bad as previous floods in the area that occurred when CO2 levels were lower, they can falsely claim that the flood is connected with CO2 levels and that reducing CO2 emissions is the only solution.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mogandave said:

I don’t really understand why people care about what happens when they’re dead.

It's called empathy. If one cares about other people whilst one is living, and one feels sad for the people in the past who were subjected to awful atrocities, such as being burned alive at the stake for their beliefs, why should one not feel sad for the predicaments of future generations.

It should be very obvious to most thinking people, who are willing to investigate the issue of climate change for themselves, instead of just accepting the news reports on the subject, that there is rarely anything unusual about extreme weather events. 
Most of them, in most regions, are the 2nd worst, or 3rd worst, or 5th worst, and so on, since accurate records have been kept. All one needs to do is check the historical records of the Meteorological Bureaus in one's own country or location to find such information. 

The recent Hurricane Michael which landed in Florida, for example, was the third worst on record, according to the American National Hurricane Center. If one goes further back in time, the proxy records and verbal reports indicate that such events are a fairly regular occurrence, but it's difficult to be precise about  certain matters such as wind speed. If Hurricane Michael was the third worst since 1935, it might well be the 5th worst since 1835, and the 7th or 10th worst since 1735. We simply can't be certain.

What people often confuse when describing an extreme weather event as the worst on record, is the extent of the damage to property and infrastructure, with the severity of the storm or the height of the flood. They are separate issues.
It is often the case that a storm or a flood which is quite within the historical norm for the region, will produce a record amount of damage and loss of life due to the increase in population in the area and the construction of inadequate housing in the interests of economic development. That's the real tragedy. The ignoring of the historical record of extreme weather events when planning development in an area, then blaming the future damage, which is to be expected, on rising CO2 levels.

2 hours ago, VincentRJ said:

why should one not feel sad for the predicaments of future generations.

Because the future is inherently unforeseeable, so the predicaments are only in your mind.

In 1900s London, their biggest worry was where to put all the horse poop.

In the 1970s, they were planning where to park all the personal flying cars.

We'll probably be hit by an asteroid (Peak Oil/Solar Flare/zombie plague), and nobody will be alive to care.

It's called empathy. If one cares about other people whilst one is living, and one feels sad for the people in the past who were subjected to awful atrocities, such as being burned alive at the stake for their beliefs, why should one not feel sad for the predicaments of future generations.

It should be very obvious to most thinking people, who are willing to investigate the issue of climate change for themselves, instead of just accepting the news reports on the subject, that there is rarely anything unusual about extreme weather events. 
Most of them, in most regions, are the 2nd worst, or 3rd worst, or 5th worst, and so on, since accurate records have been kept. All one needs to do is check the historical records of the Meteorological Bureaus in one's own country or location to find such information. 

The recent Hurricane Michael which landed in Florida, for example, was the third worst on record, according to the American National Hurricane Center. If one goes further back in time, the proxy records and verbal reports indicate that such events are a fairly regular occurrence, but it's difficult to be precise about  certain matters such as wind speed. If Hurricane Michael was the third worst since 1935, it might well be the 5th worst since 1835, and the 7th or 10th worst since 1735. We simply can't be certain.

What people often confuse when describing an extreme weather event as the worst on record, is the extent of the damage to property and infrastructure, with the severity of the storm or the height of the flood. They are separate issues.
It is often the case that a storm or a flood which is quite within the historical norm for the region, will produce a record amount of damage and loss of life due to the increase in population in the area and the construction of inadequate housing in the interests of economic development. That's the real tragedy. The ignoring of the historical record of extreme weather events when planning development in an area, then blaming the future damage, which is to be expected, on rising CO2 levels.

How does one go about investigating the issue of climate change themselves? If reading records, is that not dependent on what others are recording/saying?

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Because the future is inherently unforeseeable, so the predicaments are only in your mind.I

Everything is perceived, or experienced, or thought about, only in the mind, including all scientific theories. That is a separate issue from the practical concerns of foreseeable consequences resulting from certain actions or conditions.

For example, if a person were to jump off the balcony of the tenth storey of a building (without a parachute or similar device), on to a road and concrete pavements below, it's very foreseeable that he will die.
However, it's not 100% certain that he will die. If there was a tornado in the region which was active at the time, a strong gust of wind could significantly reduce the speed of his fall, and he might sustain non-fatal injuries. Also, if an open garbage truck were passing by, containing discarded mattresses and pillows, there's a chance that the falling guy might land in the truck and save his life.

There are always varying degree of certainty with regard to the foreseeable future, depending on the circumstances, the number and complexity of the influences, and our understanding of those influences.

8 hours ago, mogandave said:

How does one go about investigating the issue of climate change themselves? If reading records, is that not dependent on what others are recording/saying?

Of course. Everyone is in the position of having to interpret everything they read or observe, including all scientists, and such interpretations depend on the person's nous, intelligence, background experiences, education, and so on.

Those who have an understanding of the 'methodology of science' should be able to understand that the chaotic characteristics of climate change, the numerous influences involved, and the long time periods involved before a consistent trend can be observed, make the application of the scientific methodology in its most rigorous form, too difficult to apply in order to reach any high degree of certainty about the influences of those minuscule levels of CO2 in the atmosphere.

Most people, including most politicians, don't seem to have a clue about the rigorous requirements of the true methodology of science. They are gullible fodder for scientists with a political agenda, such as Michael Mann.

44 minutes ago, VincentRJ said:

For example, if a person were to jump off the balcony of the tenth storey of a building (without a parachute or similar device), on to a road and concrete pavements below, it's very foreseeable that he will die.

False argument,

It's much easier to predict your personal future 10 seconds later, than mans future 1000 years later.

(In 10 seconds I will have an 89% chance of still sitting on the sofa, with a 10% chance of getting up for a cup of tea)

Edited by BritManToo

12 hours ago, BritManToo said:

False argument,

It's much easier to predict your personal future 10 seconds later, than mans future 1000 years later.

(In 10 seconds I will have an 89% chance of still sitting on the sofa, with a 10% chance of getting up for a cup of tea)

By quoting my statement out of context you have misrepresented my argument. My argument is that whilst absolutely nothing is 100% certain about predictions of the future, there are varying degrees of probability that some future event will occur, depending on the complexity of the situation and of course the time period involved, and that we should take such probabilities into consideration when organizing our affairs.

My example that someone who throws himself off a high building will most probably die, represents a very high degree of probability. There's an even higher degree of probability that the sun will rise again tomorrow morning, as it has done for the past 4 billion years or so, and also an extremely high degree of probability that the sun will continue to rise as usual in 100 years time.

When we have observed patterns of events occurring regularly in the past, it's quite rational to assume that at least similar patterns will continue to occur into the future. For example, it would be very silly if someone in the UK, during a cold and snowy winter, were to start worrying that the snowy conditions might continue for the following 9 months because we cannot foresee the future. The occurrence of summer is a regular pattern.

Likewise, it would be very foolish for someone in Florida to make a decision to build a standard home near the beach on the basis that the risk of a future hurricane might be very low because we cannot foresee the future.
However, if such a person is wealthy enough to afford the very high insurance costs that will completely cover the damage from a hurricane, or is so wealthy that the complete loss of a house is of little concern, then that's a different matter.

On 10/19/2018 at 8:14 PM, VincentRJ said:

What do they mean by “ ...second, or third worse ...” etc.?

How do they define “...worse...”? 

And how far back do accurate measurements go?

There are those that say nothing is going on, it is all normal.

There are those that say it is human induced, and we need to stop it. 

Screw all that. Let's just be practical. We are not going to do anytning about it, not anything of significance anyway. We all know it. 

So what do we do when we admit that to ourselves, because we all know it is true. Just sit back and bend over and wait for the changes to come, and deal with them as beat we can. It may be tomorrow or in a generation. Whatever. Just get ready to bend over because it will jam the proverbial rod up everyone's bung. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

There are those that say nothing is going on, it is all normal.

There are those that say it is human induced, and we need to stop it. 

Screw all that. Let's just be practical. We are not going to do anytning about it, not anything of significance anyway. We all know it. 

So what do we do when we admit that to ourselves, because we all know it is true. Just sit back and bend over and wait for the changes to come, and deal with them as beat we can. It may be tomorrow or in a generation. Whatever. Just get ready to bend over because it will jam the proverbial rod up everyone's bung. 

>”There are those who say that nothing is going on, it is all normal.”

There are also those who say something IS going on, and it is all normal. 

That Climate Change is normal for the planet and has always been happening.

Sometimes fast, sometimes slow, sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. 

But some people see a great opportunity to scream “ALARM !!!!.....ALARM !!!!!”  And use climate change for politico-economic gain.

Politicians, especially those on the extreme right and the extreme left have always loved offering up scary scenarios so the unknowing brainwashed public start hollering and begging for something to be done to be “saved”.  It offers the chance to build more bureaucracy/power, and offers researchers the opportunity to get more funds for their labs, hire more staff, pad their bank accounts, to fly first class to more limousine luxurious champagne and caviar five star “conferences” to exotic locations in the world. ( The climate C.O.P. Conferences each year.)

Hey !!    They know when they’ve got a good thing going. And they’re going to soak it for all it’s worth. 

8 hours ago, Catoni said:

What do they mean by “ ...second, or third worse ...” etc.?

How do they define “...worse...”? 

And how far back do accurate measurements go?

The media is often imprecise and confusing on this. The various Bureaus of Meteorology will rate hurricanes in terms of wind speed at landfall, and floods in terms of flood heights in a specific area.

The city of Brisbane in Australia experiences a major flood every few decades. That means that quite often there is no major flood in a 30 or 40 year period, which is long enough for most people to forget there is a risk, and allows newcomers in particular to be completely unaware there is a risk.

When the next flood arrives, it's considered to be an unusual event and is immediately associated with climate change and often described as the worst flood ever, or the worst in a century. 

In terms of damage to property, that might be the case because of extensive urbanization, but in terms of flood height it's never been the case, in Brisbane at least, during the past 125 years. The worst flood in terms of height, in the city centre, occurred in 1893. It was even documented photographically. Refer attached image.

1893 flood.jpg

On 10/19/2018 at 7:59 AM, VincentRJ said:

I think if a world-wide survey were done, most scientists would agree with the above quote. In other words, millions of them would understand the uncertainty of predictions or projections of such a complex and chaotic system as the earth's climate.

However, many scientists working in Climate Research Centers would probably be reluctant to openly admit, publicly, their opinion that the projections are very uncertain, because they understand that their careers are dependent upon the alarm about climate change being maintained.

This is not a conspiracy but the normal psychology of workplace relations. If one disagrees with the fundamental premises of whatever organization one is working with, or employed by, then one has no future career in such an organization. 
Unless one keeps quiet about the personal doubts that one has, that rising CO2 levels are the main driver of the current slight warming, and that such slight warming will be bad for our future well-being, for example, then one will be criticised by one's colleagues. One will be unlikely to get promotion or have one's research papers peer reviewed, so one might as well leave, and express one's opinion outside of the system. Whistle blowers are not treated well.

However, I imagine that some of those skeptical scientists might justify to themselves that maintaining an alarm about the negative effects of CO2 will have positive effects in the long run, in terms of more efficient 'alternative' energy supplies, which probably wouldn't have been developed without that alarm about the effects of rising CO2 levels being maintained.

There are two reasons why I strongly dispute your hypothetical interpretation of events.

First of all, I have a degree in science from a highly respected (and quite apolitical) science and engineering school in the United States,and have continued to do work in science off-and-on since then. I know literally hundreds of scientists and have met thousands. An extremely minuscule percentage of them have the slightest doubt that man's activity is a major driver of climate change or that said climate change will have devastating global effects in the next century, especially for the environment and for poor people across the warmer regions of the globe.

Secondly, among those relationships include personal friends of mine who work for fossil fuel producers, and they report that even the scientists who work with the fossil fuel companies believe the party line on AGW is basically accurate. So workplace incentives cannot be driving the acceptance of the theories when even those who have the most to lose have admitted there is an issue here.

• Like 1