This just in: 12 plus 8 equals 4

webfact

Yes, it's good to have a laugh but, seriously, how should the PTB deal with a Maths teacher who evidently can't do maths? Make the sorry soul do question-book homework for a month, with the threat of the sack on the first wrong answer? That might make him/her divert his/her attention from the TV soap and come to terms with the fact that, largely thanks to such crap teaching, Thailand ranks #47 out of 76 nations in Maths skills. A hell of a problem for somebody, though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Would explain why they use calculators for everything, even a 95 baht item and 100 baht given to calc the change.

The mania of counting notes 5 times before giving or depositing in the till.?

Or in my bank, teller sees 1,000Baht on the deposit slip as I hand her 1,000Baht cash.

She then keys in 1,000 on her calculator with printer, then deducts 1,000.

Answer on the little print-out from the calculator is '  0  ', yes all seems correct.

She processes the deposit slip through her computer then staples the little print-out from her calculator onto the corner of the bank deposit slip.

She's pleased.

3 hours ago, stereolab said:

My wife has told me to stop giving say 1005 baht for an item costing 505 baht, expecting to get a 500 baht note in change. The confusion it causes is hysterical, and a sad indictment of Thai counting skills. Last week I bought 2 bottles of 10 baht each water, the young lady, who I had apparently awoken from her slumber behind the counter, diligently keyed into her calculator the required figures, and then re-keyed to double check.

LOL... I've given up going that. The confusion it causes simply isn't worth it... LOL 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, scorecard said:

Or in my bank, teller sees 1,000Baht on the deposit slip as I hand her 1,000Baht cash.

She then keys in 1,000 on her calculator with printer, then deducts 1,000.

Answer on the little print-out from the calculator is '  0  ', yes all seems correct.

She processes the deposit slip through her computer then staples the little print-out from her calculator onto the corner of the bank deposit slip.

She's pleased.

It would not be a surprise to me if this was a requirement of the bank's procedure. Silly, but understandable.

• Like 1

I try not to slag off TH teachers too much because in OZ they are accepting those that have barely passed high school into uni teaching degrees, mostly because nobody else want to go into teaching.

Australia's student scores continue to fall in world rankings.

17 hours ago, Ossy said:

Yes, it's good to have a laugh but, seriously, how should the PTB deal with a Maths teacher who evidently can't do maths? Make the sorry soul do question-book homework for a month, with the threat of the sack on the first wrong answer? That might make him/her divert his/her attention from the TV soap and come to terms with the fact that, largely thanks to such crap teaching, Thailand ranks #47 out of 76 nations in Maths skills. A hell of a problem for somebody, though.

Try the teacher with this one.

3 guys on fishing trip book a room in a hotel.

Receptionist charges then 30 dollars. Each hands over 10.

Later, the manager realises thats wrong and should have been 25 dollars and gives one of then 5 dollars. He decides to tell the other two they get discount of a dollar each so gives each a dollar back. ( each pays 10 and gets 1 back )

Each one has now paid 9 dollars = 27 dollars but the third has two dollars. 27 +2 = 29.

Where did the other dollar go?

Look at the entrance exams for major universities, review any school's tests and assignments and you will find hundreds and hundreds of these examples. The big question is why allow those responsible to continue in positions of influence and power?

• Like 1

I am reliably informed by someone of far greater intellect and language skills than me that the basis of the questions states the original person has 12 mangoes and someone else has 8 more mangoes more than them.  The question then asks how many mangoes does the second person have.

• Like 2