Should i buy my fiancee's apartment?

Depends on how long you’ve known each other how’s the relationship.

Have you met the relatives. Have you asked what the expectations are

from her Mama Papa when you get married?

How much schooling has she had. Reason is I asked my wife did she finish school and she said yes. Unknown to me finished school was 8th 

grade equivalent which is fairly standard up here in the NE village. 

Is there any questions you want to ask her but have not? If so both of you should talk and sort them out.

Getting visa to US is not an easy thing for Thai women and she got one so that’s a plus.

Paying all or monthly is up to you and what you feel comfortable with. If you pay all and

a year from now will it throw you over the edge? If then do what makes you happy.

Best of luck! 

Edited by DJ54
Added

Jeepers we are talking 300000bath = 9200 dollar, Just finish that mortgage, let it be in her name and thats it.

Just give it her as a wedding present. Then you dont have to hassle with the mortgage anymore.

What is it you would be screwed over for? You are planning for her to be your wife, she can screw you, 2 ways, later then aswell. 

You even say so yourself  I'm not concerned about the 300,000 baht so much and then change about being screwed???

Since she is your wife to be, any assets acquired after marriage would be split 50/50 in case of divorce. So purchase the condo after marriage which gives you some protection if things go tits up. Either in her name or both your names. By having both names on the title you protect against an unknowing loan or a sale. You can always relinquish your half to her at anytime. 

17 hours ago, catman20 said:

by him the OP saying he was thinking about paying her loan off so that the daughter could live there without his fiancee having to worry about her daughter, was that not a NICE THING TO BE DOING ? you sound like a great catch......NOT :cheesy:

I have to ask,  if the daughter  is old enough  to live on her own... When will supporting her ever stop?  She, as most Thais need to take responsibility  for themselves instead of getting  some brain dead foreigner to cough up for everything. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, DJ54 said:

Depends on how long you’ve known each other how’s the relationship.

Have you met the relatives. Have you asked what the expectations are

from her Mama Papa when you get married?

How much schooling has she had. Reason is I asked my wife did she finish school and she said yes. Unknown to me finished school was 8th 

grade equivalent which is fairly standard up here in the NE village. 

Is there any questions you want to ask her but have not? If so both of you should talk and sort them out.

Getting visa to US is not an easy thing for Thai women and she got one so that’s a plus.

Paying all or monthly is up to you and what you feel comfortable with. If you pay all and

a year from now will it throw you over the edge? If then do what makes you happy.

Best of luck! 

Give the parents nothing

They didn't starve to death before you arrived......? 

14 hours ago, baansgr said:

I have to ask,  if the daughter  is old enough  to live on her own... When will supporting her ever stop?  She, as most Thais need to take responsibility  for themselves instead of getting  some brain dead foreigner to cough up for everything. 

you know as well as i do its not easy for any Thais to earn serious money.

10 hours ago, catman20 said:

you know as well as i do its not easy for any Thais to earn serious money.

You mean ' many Thais ' in my village there's millionaires & billionaires, I'm not one of them anymore, my wife is a millionaire though on ownership & paper. ?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Nothing made sense on this.

300k to pay but 90% left on mortgage?

So it's a 3m apartment and she needs 300k as a deposit or she's selling you the condo and if so what's the price as 300k cannot be it.

Well if you know the prices of Thai apartments it makes complete sense. There is nothing unusual about a Thai apartment costing a little over 300,000 Baht.It is not far off the prices of SWMBO's friends places in Samut Prakan.

Just now, sometimewoodworker said:

Well if you know the prices of Thai apartments it makes complete sense. There is nothing unusual about a Thai apartment costing a little over 300,000 Baht.It is not far off the prices of SWMBO's friends places in Samut Prakan.

Please explain it as you believe you see it then. 

12 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Please explain it as you believe you see it then. 

Not very difficult. The OP's girlfriend got a mortgage on a Thai apartment that probably was selling for about 350,000 Baht so after the deposit the mortgage was 330,000 and so far she has paid 30,000.

These prices are exactly inline with my wife's friends apartments.

Just now, sometimewoodworker said:

Not very difficult. The OP's girlfriend got a mortgage on a Thai apartment that probably was selling for about 350,000 Baht so after the deposit the mortgage was 330,000 and so far she has paid 30,000.

Thanks this is what I thought too but seems like a good deal to be honest. Getting screwed over 300k is a small price to pay. If that is all you get screwed for that's a bargain.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Rc2702 said:
17 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Thanks this is what I thought too but seems like a good deal to be honest. Getting screwed over 300k is a small price to pay. If that is all you get screwed for that's a bargain.

I agree on the point that 300k is not a great deal of money to invest in a relationship.

Having stayed in the kind of apartments that are probably referred to they are Thai ownership only, possibly government built, extremely basic, but friendly places. Often living room, bedroom, balcony kitchen, and very small shower/toilet. A/C only if you buy it, hot water if you buy a heater and if you are on one of the upper floors very low water pressure.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

For all those who say things along the line of “getting screwed over for only 300k is a bargain”...If the OP were only “screwed over” for 100k, could that be considered “the deal of the century”?

Paying the ฿3000 per month is a nice thing to do too.  I suspect if that were unacceptable to his fiancé, one might want to question her motive.

20 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Well I'm smooth talking barsteward and was well off too years ago. 

" i think you meant 2 years ago "i see how she became a millionaire now, you bought a house and put it in her name, cos you thought she was different :cheesy: 

Edited by catman20

5 hours ago, catman20 said:

" i think you meant 2 years ago "i see how she became a millionaire now, you bought a house and put it in her name, cos you thought she was different :cheesy: 

Not so we have been together 18 years and married for 15 years, I have bought things of course and there put in her name for convenience.