Man killed in solo Ducati Monster motorbike accident

rooster59

Man killed in solo Ducati Monster motorbike accident 

By The Phuket News

image.jpg

The man was riding a Ducati Monster 796 motorbike when he had the accident. Photo: Kathu Police

PHUKET: A 40-year-old man died in a motorbike accident on Phra Phuket Kaew Rd in Kathu early this morning (Sept 21).

Col Chalermsak Aksarapien of the Kathu Police was called to the scene, in front of Phuket Villa Kathu, at 2:30am.

Col Chalermsak and fellow officers arrived with rescue workers find Ram Tanyot, 40, from Phetchabun, dead on the road.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/man-killed-in-solo-ducati-monster-motorbike-accident-68710.php#KDehDWlW5i11eGaS.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-09-22

11 minutes ago, mok199 said:

The bike looks undamaged from that angle..just skid marks on the pavment....with a full face helmet..any one have more details on this accident..curious ....

“Witness saw him start to go around the curve when his bike slipped and he lost control, which led to him to falling,”

Perhaps realized that he was going too fast into the turn, braked and lost control.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, mok199 said:

The bike looks undamaged from that angle..just skid marks on the pavment....with a full face helmet..any one have more details on this accident..curious ....

If the jaw protection part of a full face helmet hits the ground first while the body is still airborne, the spinal cord can be torn loose from the skull resulting in death. The occurrence of this is rare, but it has been found to happen.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Lokie said:

Maybe I just read the wrong attachment to this thread? here is a quote from it:

“Witness saw him start to go around the curve when his bike slipped and he lost control, which led to him to falling,” Col Chalermsak explained

I've only been riding bikes 43 years (on and off road both UK and here) I also ride this route on a regular basis. From what the above witness statement says maybe he hit a patch of Diesel on the bend (usually where overfilled diesel vehicles drop their excess off) The crest of Patong hill outbound is a regular diesel spill spot and so is this area so without any other information - maybe don't be too quick to judge

R I P

Came off twice in UK, lucky both times. Once was black ice under a large tree that had shaded the road and the sun hadn't got to it. The other time was a diesel spill on the road.

Exactly the same feeling and effect, bike went from vertical to horizontal before you could react. Both times no serious damage me or bike. Just some 'status' scratches on the leathers. ?

Helmet replaced next day both times as they took a bang each time.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Came off twice in UK, lucky both times. Once was black ice under a large tree that had shaded the road and the sun hadn't got to it. The other time was a diesel spill on the road.

Exactly the same feeling and effect, bike went from vertical to horizontal before you could react. Both times no serious damage me or bike. Just some 'status' scratches on the leathers. ?

Helmet replaced next day both times as they took a bang each time.

+1

I came off on a round-a-bout diesel spill when I was a young 16yr old on my first legal road bike (Suzuki TS50K lol) just skidded along no real damage and lucky no traffic. Nearly had an off last year on crest of Patong Hill on my Forza front end started to wipe out and luckily I managed to stomp my left foot down crosser style and save it - stood the bike back up that was diesel, three Thai riders behind me all went down (think may have damaged my foot as took about three months to get right) on that occasion they were lucky nothing behind coming as would have been ran over.

A lot of vehicles leaving Patong fill up either at Patong Gas station or near here in Kathu (a few gas stations in area here) thats why it could be a reason from the witness reports, front end goes usually when you hit diesel on a bend so take care in the area when on a bike, Obviously take a lot of care over Patong Hill anyway...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Somtamnication said:

Such negativity. Obviously he was not speeding. That long stretch of road is safe as hugging porcupines.

Wouldn't doubt you on the Spiny Norman comparison, but if not speeding, perhaps foresheets to the wind at that time of the morning

I often hear big bikes departing watering holes at that time. One new brand new Harley ended up in the khlong. Not to mention the huge number of times I've seen bikers on crutches from accidents I didn't witness

Edited by Mexlark

3 hours ago, Bung said:

How do you know he couldn't control a big bike? It says the bike slid in a corner, he could have hit a patch of diesel, oil or dirt which could send any rider down the road. 

correct....lets not forget ''dogs'' , I lost a pal who swerved to miss a dog on the highway...

• Like 1

Just another Thai biker dying on the roads. 

If he was on a 125cc scooter it wouldn't even make these pages.

The fact that he was on a big, unusually branded bike seems to excite the legends in their own lunchtimes, and the TVF traffic accident investigators.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Just another Thai biker dying on the roads. 

If he was on a 125cc scooter it wouldn't even make these pages.

The fact that he was on a big, unusually branded bike seems to excite the legends in their own lunchtimes, and the TVF traffic accident investigators.

Suicide is always possible. Any old bike'll do! If you notice a few investigators missing, that will likely be the cause.;-)

On 9/22/2018 at 2:20 PM, mok199 said:

Possibly a broken neck or chest trauma. 

I agree, from the minimal damage to the bike, and he was wearing a helmet, he may have just been unlucky.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Thanks 1