"No, you gave me a 100 baht" says 7/11 staffer after being handed 1,000 baht

webfact

I hate to admit this, but I think I was "scammed" at a 7-Eleven about a year ago. I thought I handed over a 1000 baht note (wanting some change) but the clerk insisted I handed a 100 note, not 1000 baht note. It was my word against hers.... I never thought of a security camera filming the transaction.  From now on when I hand over a 1000 baht note, I announce it.

• Like 2

One ladyboy 7-11 staffer added items to my bill, twice in short period of time. I eventually made a rather big deal out of it in Thai standards, talkin about it to the villagers who live close by (and the word travels fast here).

This behaviour stopped, but I still have to check my bills, when there is a less honest feeling person on the counter. 

1 hour ago, Bluetongue said:

I've noticed usually the 7-11 cashier will say out loud how much you are giving them. I've never had a problem with them. But in some of my mum'n'pop stores the opposite, they give me too much change or undercharge and I patiently go through it with them. But I very rarely if ever proffer a 1000 baht note for a purchase under 100. Usually at an ATM I'll take out 4900 for this reason. Annoyingly a lot of Kasikorn machines lately seem to have only 1000 baht notes.

Probably because of people like me and you taking out 4900/9900 whenever they use an atm. 

• Like 2

Short changing is rife in 7eleven and Family Mart.

Had the same done to me a short time back at a restaurant. Food about 300 Baht, gave 1000 note and received change as if I'd given 500 Baht. Argued the toss with the waitress who was adamant I'd given a 500 note. After a few minutes arguing with waitress, supervisor came over to see whatthe fuss was. I explained. She said she'd check CCTV.  5 minutes later the waitress returned with the correct money. 

Just 1 example of many.

Another big 1 on this is the exchange bureaus. 

• Like 1

Which is why I always have a good stack of 100 THB notes and only pay with 1000 THB denominations  when shopping or other pricey stuff...avoid also using a credit card with all the skimmer scammers around Thailand. A small supply of 20 THB notes is also useful for taxi scooters or when paying for public transport mainly in metro areas like Bangkok or Phuket. It avoids the usual "no have change" excuse from the taxi/tuk tuk cheats.

I often will do a trivial purchase at 7/11to break a 1K note. So I'm an opportunity for them to do what they did here (steal from 7/11) because I have white hair, of course. If the facilitator (potentially the elderly) doesn't notice the shortchange then the customer is the victim and not their employer. Either way...

Sometimes as I’m handing over a 1000 Baht note and before I let go of it I’ll ask the server what size of note it is, saying I’m not wearing my glasses this forces them to confirm its 1000 Baht in front of everyone.

Other times I simply tell the server “I’m sorry but I’ve nothing smaller that 1000 Baht note” or “ do you have change of 1000 Baht note”.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Loaded said:

elderly! she looks younger than me

It's funny how as you get older women who looked like your great grandmother when you were in your 20s suddenly become a bit of alright, I guess this is one of the benefits of getting older - the shagging net gets bigger

Something else gets bigger...and not your appendage!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Bantex said:

Sometimes as I’m handing over a 1000 Baht note and before I let go of it I’ll ask the server what size of note it is, saying I’m not wearing my glasses this forces them to confirm its 1000 Baht in front of everyone.

Other times I simply tell the server “I’m sorry but I’ve nothing smaller that 1000 Baht note” or “ do you have change of 1000 Baht note”.

If you say : 1000 Baht- it will suffice.

That's what all Thais do when they pay with big notes.

• Like 1

Such a scam is very rare in Thailand which is why it makes the news. One should always identify large notes in any country. It first happened to me in France when I was a teenager. The frog had a piece of chewing gum on the underside of the till draw to stick the big note  to and then giving a dismissive Gallic shrug would gesture to the small notes in the till draw.

The “old reverse Tatum O’Neal trick” from Paper Moon. 

CCTV catches another one. 

Something similar to look out for is when you get petrol. Make sure you look at the total before you drive off. Often the bowser/pump is behind you and requires a bit of neck bending but worth the time. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lungstib said:

Not surprised. The only time I've had a bill not paid was a 3BB done at 7-11 which I was later told had never been paid. By then I had lost the receipt and paid again but that was over 600b wasted (or gained).

Very strange, since on all receipts it has all payment details.

Impossible you received a receipt for this payment and the payment was not made.

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

A few years ago at my local 7/11 I was short changed by 500 baht. I didn't notice and left the store. I wasn't even 10 metres outside when the cashier caught me up, apologised profusely and gave me the extra 500 baht.

Nowadays I always check my change in all the shops I use and have never had a problem since.

Perhaps it is because I am a nice friendly hansum man.

Perhaps it is because I am a nice friendly hansum man.:smile:

Not perhaps probably 99% right it could be called the body language, some people have a lot fewer problems than others in this area I think it comes from what they inspire others, 

positive or negative, you are probably in the good half ????

• Like 1

If you say : 1000 Baht- it will suffice.
That's what all Thais do when they pay with big notes.

Yes thats OK if the server is honest. I was behind a Thai who said 1000 Baht but was handing over 100 Baht note, possibly by mistake. Even if you say 1000 Baht and hand over 1000 Baht note this can still happen and they could still argue that you gave over 100 Baht note as you were trying to con them.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Just now, Bantex said:

Yes thats OK if the server is honest. I was behind a Thai who said 1000 Baht but was handing over 100 Baht note, possibly by mistake. Even if you say 1000 Baht and hand over 1000 Baht note this can still happen and they could still argue that you gave over 100 Baht note as you were trying to con them.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

That's right, possibly that 7/11 staff were assuming the old lady to be unaware of the cameras.

If there is no camera and no witnesses, it's my word against your word, i've seen that happen.

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I've never had such issues at 711s or Family Marts but I have at restaurants. So at restaurants when I pay with 1000 baht I show the bill and say the amount. Seems a bit much but it always works and I haven't had any waiters give me attitude about it either.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I do the same thing.  My Thai is very basic, but I can say "mii bank paan" and no one is ever offended.  

• Like 1