First-time flyer mistakes aircraft door for lavatory gate, tries to open it mid-air

webfact

GoAir flyer tries to open exit gate mid air mistaking it as toilet

Alert crew pulls aside passenger who was travelling on plane for the first time

Lata Rani, Correspondent

Patna: Dozens of passengers aboard an aircraft had a providential escape after a fellow passenger tried to open its exit door in mid-air mistaking it for a toilet door. The traveller told the police that he was travelling by plane for the first time and was not aware about the facilities of the aircraft.

Police said the passenger identified as Abhijit Kumar had boarded the GoAir flight at Delhi airport and was travelling to Patna on Saturday night when he wanted to use the toilet.

Instead of opening the door of the toilet, the passenger, however, moved towards the exit gate and tried to open it. Passengers raised an alarm and, instantly, the crew members rushed towards the exit gate and pulled the man aside.

Full story: https://gulfnews.com/news/asia/india/goair-flyer-tries-to-open-exit-gate-mid-air-mistaking-it-as-toilet-1.2282068

-- GULF NEWS 2018-2018-09-26

32 minutes ago, Vermaric said:

He'd have shit himself for sure had that door opened, saying that luckily most if not all modern airliner doors can't be opened when the cabin is pressurized! lol 

Yes he would, but on the way down, so whilst I can't say not a problem for those left behind, at least no smell!

8 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

No, if plane has reached a significant height.

The door opens inward.

The cabin is pressurized.

No human has the power to overcome the resulting forces.

If they equalizing the pressure to be the same as outside, you can open the door. But in normal flight, you are correct, you can not open the door. 

1 minute ago, Esso49 said:

He was Indian so as is common practice, he was looking for a field to take a dump

And from a great height too! Could have killed someone if it hit them.

Wonder what their death certificate would say? "Intestinal problem - someone else's"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

This was an Indian Airline so would have LED Toilets

What?

I had to google that. Thought it was perhaps some street slang I'd missed, but no, there is an LED toilet!

It's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

I did have to laugh when I saw it has a 'motion detector'!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bluesofa said:

What?

I had to google that. Thought it was perhaps some street slang I'd missed, but no, there is an LED toilet!

It's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

I did have to laugh when I saw it has a 'motion detector'!

Well I was waiting for a reply but you actually caught me out there because my answer was to be a "Large Effluent Discharge". 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, nervona81732 said:

Aussieroaming, another Trump hater from another country. Mind your own BIZ and worry about the stupid <deleted> your own GOV does to you folks. Button up. Cheers MF.

What ignorance fails to realize is that trump can negatively impact our country.... that gives our citizens, (unfortunately allied to trumptopia), every right to comment on things trumpian.

Anyway.... out of curiosity, what stupid deleted stuff does our government do to us, mr button up, or is that you at your best?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hummin said:

If they equalizing the pressure to be the same as outside, you can open the door. But in normal flight, you are correct, you can not open the door. 

If I recall correctly, the air pressure inside cabin is about 3000 meters. To open the door would require several thousand kilograms of force. 

This is one reason, why airlines don't really pay attention to this safety issue while they try to think every possibility of security breach in advance.