Why are Thai people so against thinking?

afsheen

Somewhat confused post.

The 'think too much' is about how westerners overthink things.

But stating that monkeys & other animals don't think, is incorrect.

There is plenty of scientific evidence that higher primates problem solve, which requires thinking.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/monkeys-can-think-about-thinking-too/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I think there's a lot of truth in what you say, however I don't think it covers all of the possibilities.

I've seen many examples of Thais not being able to think things through and none would be more evident than when my ex g/f said she was going to open a restaurant/cafe in her tiny mud lined track leading to an elephant trekking camp, with a total number of occupants, including the elephant camp folk, of around 20.

So I asked her where the customers were going to come from, and her reply was simply, "if my food is good then customers will come". My reply was, "from where", to which she had no answer, simply stating over and over again that customers would come.

Of course they didn't and the whole thing folded two or three months into the venture.

I have seen exactly the same happen time and time again in the road in which I live, with Thai small ventures starting up and closing in rapid succession because of no business, and when I have spoken to the owner of the new restaurant/massage shop/beauty parlour which has opened up (for example) in the place where the old one was and asked why the old one closed, they simply say that it was doing no business, yet they open up and guess what – – go bust.

To me that shows an ability to be able to think things through/logic and understanding/rational thinking – – whatever label one wants to put on it.

A bit like my wife who sells sunglasses, her answer to not selling many sunglasses is to buy more sunglasses. 

Yes, there does need to be a scientific and rational approach to most things in our life but it can be taken to far, then nobody falls in love, creates art, discovers something by accident etc.

I have always liked the saying

"Approach love and cooking with the same reckless abandonment"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, neeray said:

Bad post, really got me thinking about people who paint with a broad brush.

Every society has a slice of narrow minded, non thinking people. I meet them everyday (in a developed country).

On this scale/level???

• Like 2

Well, it could be that you've pointed out something so bloody obvious that they should have thought of themselves, but didn't.  And so they are embarrassed and are basically telling you to Shut Up.

Or it could be you are miserable, always pointing out how "dumb" others are in order to feel empowered and superior.

Edited by 55Jay
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, neeray said:

Bad post, really got me thinking about people who paint with a broad brush.

Every society has a slice of narrow minded, non thinking people. I meet them everyday (in a developed country).

Yep. Actually, these traits are probably more common than not throughout the civilised [whatever that is] world. But not recognized as such. 

The subliminal inquiry from the OP translates more along the lines of: Why can't these savages think and be like us.....the more superior lot? Which could be construed as quite typical from a deluded and fanciful Eurocentric disposition. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Oh dear. It's the uneducated thais that say that "think to much 'Given that the majority of farang have married into village girls or associate with bar girls etc.

You really think the higher class we'll educated in a high profile career would say you tink to mut?

There is more to Thailand than isaan or isaan exports

• Like 2

I think part of the problem is Thais generally are not taught to "think and reason" when they grow from youngsters through their school years. It strikes me that there's a decided lack of intellectual thought curiosity in the average Thai, and I'm not talking based on experience with bar girls or Isaan peasants.

They're taught to memorize things, and told supposed facts. But not to question why things are the way they are, or consider how they got to be that way, or how they might be different, or even, how things are here compared to how the same things are in other parts of the world.

So, I go to a large private graduate-level university here in BKK, and I find accepted master's theses written in English by Thais or other Asian students where sizable portions of the written text have clearly been cut and pasted from other sources without any attribution. Or students are paying others to complete their assignments. Or students who defend their thesis, fail, defend again, fail, defend again, and then finally are passed just to get them thru the system.

Or, I have a Thai acquaintance who wants to buy some kind of house. They have a general idea of their budget and go to talk to loan officers at some banks. Come back saying the banks will give them a purchase loan that will cost XX,XXX baht per month. What's the interest rate? Dunno. How about how the monthly payment will change after the first couple years promotional rate? Dunno, didn't ask.

It just seems to go with endless variations of those kinds of things around these parts.

Thai history lessons do (must?) not include reference to failure/errors or mistakes so nothing can be questioned or lessons learnt by history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2