HIV and Hep. C risk from dental cleaning

bubba1

Use a proper dental office - believe all of the larger multi doctor facilities will be using properly sterilized equipment.  Even most shophouse type places will do so (but the risk is probably greater).  As the only cases I have heard of HIV being transmitted were planned by the dentist himself do not believe there is much risk involved for most people.

If you have been in Thailand more than a day expect you realize most Thai take cleanliness much more seriously than many from the Western World.  

20 hours ago, bubba1 said:

What's the risk of dirty equipment when getting teeth cleaned in Thailand ?

Have had everything from teeth cleaning to root canals to extractions,  etc done in Thailand over the past couple of decades.  Never had any issues with the cleanliness of dentists or their equipment. 

Not isure why you would think it would be a widespread problem in Thailand. 

10 minutes ago, fredge45 said:

You think a local hospital will be better?  It's up to the medicos involved not the institution.

i think their a better chance the hospital would be a cleaner environment than some cheap one man band clinic trying to scratch a living 

39 minutes ago, catman20 said:

i think their a better chance the hospital would be a cleaner environment than some cheap one man band clinic trying to scratch a living 

Many/most/some of the dentists who work in clinics also work in local hospitals.

clinics, like any business, depend on their word of mouth reputations. If many of those mouths come away with infections, they'll quickly go out of business. 

And even in western countries hospitals  are acknowledged to be prime locations to pick up some especially nasty infections.

51 minutes ago, catman20 said:

yes but there are super colonies of drug resistant bacteria growing in hospitals and you will be exposed to many sick people while you are waiting your turn.

I think finding the largest dental clinical with a good reputation is the way to go.

Little risk from HIV at the dentists:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg14519661-800-little-risk-from-hiv-at-the-dentists/

“New data show that far too many patients are getting infected with dangerous, drug-resistant bacteria in healthcare settings,”

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2016/p0303-superbugs.html

21 hours ago, bubba1 said:

What's the risk of dirty equipment when getting teeth cleaned in Thailand ?

Our local dentist just seems to dump a little alcohol cleaner

in a cup and in that cup you will find all the tools he uses.

I know he does not clean in between patients but i also believe the risk of disease is very small.

He has a very good reputation here and does good work.

1 hour ago, catman20 said:

I tend to think there is maybe more personalised/accountability in a smaller clinic. In a large hospitial the dentist gets a tray of sterilised instruments from the large department that does all the sterilisation etc, no idea who did it, when etc, someone on the night shift last night did it..

In a small clinic the dentist possibly has a hand in the process, checks and balances with his employees, can monitor the process etc, and direct accountability if something isn't right. Probably less exposure to non-dental bacteria, super bugs etc.

A small clinic near me makes a point of advertising the sterilisation system used, in the front window.

29 minutes ago, jvs said:

Our local dentist just seems to dump a little alcohol cleaner

in a cup and in that cup you will find all the tools he uses.

I know he does not clean in between patients but i also believe the risk of disease is very small.

He has a very good reputation here and does good work.

I would not be using such a dentist - hairdressers often do better than that.  All should have an autoclave and enough tools so none are used twice before sterilized with autoclave.  The cheaper small office may not have the tools needed even if they have an autoclave.  There may be a reason for that bag of medications when you leave.  

Image result for dental autoclave

22 hours ago, watcharacters said:

I think the issue is how can a person be sure the dentist is taking proper precautions.

At the very least do some close observation of how the equipment is stored in disinfectant baths, etc. etc. 

If it's not, move along quickly, obvious!

2 hours ago, catman20 said:

im going on Monday to have my teeth cleaned i always choose to go to a hospital as i dont trust these clinics.

Plus there is the possibility in clinics large and small (not meaning hospitals) that the staff (all the staff) have no qualifications.

About 12-18 months ago one of the Thai gov't depts did raids on clinics, dozens were closed on the spot, no qualified staff anywhere near the business, no registration, etc etc.

A big very professional looking clinic clinic opposite Pantip Plaza in Bkk (many staff) was one such 'venue', closed immediately, all their big professional hoardings ripped down on the spot, ordered to cover the glass windows immediately and remove everything within 24 hours.

4 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Plus there is the possibility in clinics large and small (not meaning hospitals) that the staff (all the staff) have no qualifications.

About 12-18 months ago one of the Thai gov't depts did raids on clinics, dozens were closed on the spot, no qualified staff anywhere near the business, no registration, etc etc.

A big very professional looking clinic clinic opposite Pantip Plaza in Bkk (many staff) was one such 'venue', closed immediately, all their big professional hoardings ripped down on the spot, ordered to cover the glass windows immediately and remove everything within 24 hours.

I suspect you are not talking about dental clinics but beauty type?

2 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Have had everything from teeth cleaning to root canals to extractions,  etc done in Thailand over the past couple of decades.  Never had any issues with the cleanliness of dentists or their equipment. 

Not isure why you would think it would be a widespread problem in Thailand. 

Once i was at the dentist in a thai hospital and it was filthy near the floor on the cabinets.

Also i've been to other Thai hospitals and the maggots were crawling in front of my slippers and black fungus all over the ceiling and fans which were broken (also aircon was broken).

Teeth cleaning? The dental departments in the major 'Frang' seeking & servicing hospitals will be fine. If and/or when you need dental work, I strongly suggest a private dentist. Even though I had a dentist do a second opinion service at a 'different' hospital, I lost one front tooth because the Endodontists said he could not do it because my canals were too small.  When I had the same problem with the other front tooth. I sought out a private clinic (Thaiya Dental). The dentist, Dr. Somchai, provides a very clean and professional 'Western' dental service.  The Endodontists, whose name I cannot remember, was (is) exceptional. She said, "Oh, you have very, very small canals. Maybe cannot do" and then she dug in and did it. She's done an additional 9 or 10 since that time. I highly recommend Thaniya Dental.

BTW for all the 'wisecrackers' out there on Thaivisa: I do not have terrible dental hygiene. My front 2 teeth were broken off playing football at age 16 yrs. Wearing crowns for 30 plus years the pillars get 'old' and break off at the gums. The additional problems occured due to the wear caused to the lower teeth by the harder substance in the crowns and then the subsequent bridge that I had after the front tooth was pulled. (I have small teeth and was born when my Mother was 42 and already suffering from osteoporosis and scoliosis, which lead to a calcium deficiency during the gestation period. I'm also shorter than my brothers and have some back problems, but otherwise just as healthy and smart. ????)

4 hours ago, catman20 said:

Most of the dental places I've seen in Bangkok are practically mini dental hospitals, multi floors, dozens of dentists, all top of the line equipment.   

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

exactly my point !

5 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I tend to think there is maybe more personalised/accountability in a smaller clinic. In a large hospitial the dentist gets a tray of sterilised instruments from the large department that does all the sterilisation etc, no idea who did it, when etc, someone on the night shift last night did it..

In a small clinic the dentist possibly has a hand in the process, checks and balances with his employees, can monitor the process etc, and direct accountability if something isn't right. Probably less exposure to non-dental bacteria, super bugs etc.

A small clinic near me makes a point of advertising the sterilisation system used, in the front window.

does not mean to say they use it or know how to.

On 9/28/2018 at 2:22 PM, lopburi3 said:

If you have been in Thailand more than a day expect you realize most Thai take cleanliness much more seriously than many from the Western World.  

You ever journeyed up to Isaan villages?

check out mahidol university dental clinic .  http://www.dt.mahidol.ac.th/en/hospital-phayathai-campus/ .      in general decent quality and cleaning may even cost less than at private dentist

i looked into getting a root canal done there but ended up doing at my dentist in vietnam rather than staying in the concrete jungle. nice beach to boot and total price including trip about the same as procedure alone in bkk.

mahidol u dental school, in actuality a thai university calls itself . mahidol international dental school.   tuition not including room and board is 1 million, 350,000 baht  (42,000 usd/year)/ year http://www.dt.mahidol.ac.th/en/mahidol-international-dental-school/tuition-fees/

4 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

No risk at all  -  your mouth, besides your crotch, is the nastiest part of your body, all kinds of bacteria live there.............

Which is exactly the issue - you do not want that foreign bacteria or virus from others to gain access to your body during dental work so sterile equipment is a must.  

Archived